• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it for the first time and found it pretty dull. Elizabeth Olsen did good work and the finale was decent, but the rest was a slog. America Chavez didn't make much of an impression and they didn't do much interesting stuff with the multiverse concept.

I think I'm finally done keeping up with Marvel. Everything since Endgame has been some level of disappointing. I'll probably catch things here and there, but the excitement is gone.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've held out until now, and yeah, this was a lot of fun! Loved seeing Bruce Campbell show up in a suitably dumb role.

I just watched it and it was fun but Raimi's cheese was a bit too much for me. Not disappointing like the Eternals but probably on the mid to lower tier of MCU films on my personal scale.

What you call cheese I call personality, and it elevated this ahead of most of the cookie cutter MCU films for me. I like it when the director actualy shines through in these movies, like in Ragnarok and the GotGs. This would have been soooo bland without Raimi.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it and thought it was… okay.

There were parts that I loved
Zombie Strange!
and parts that really just left a bad taste in my mouth
having all those fun cameos only to violently kill them felt really mean spirited. Did anyone really want to see Patrick Stewart get murdered? Or Reed Richards' first on-screen appearance being him getting brutally killed whilst being told his kids were going to be left fatherless?

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
I was surprised they didn't get
Paul Bettany to appear. They barely even mentioned Vision and Wanda seemingly had no interest in finding a multiversal version

Apr 2, 2021
If I'm a pretty big Raimi fan because of Evil Dead and Drag Me To Hell (some of the most easily enjoyable movies ever imo) should I bother with this?

Last time I saw a MCU movie was Winter Soldier, which I thought was "pretty good" as a young man in the movie theater. Every time after that I tried watching a superhero movie or show I did not enjoy it except I unexpectedly fell in love with Peacemaker earlier this year.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
They took way too many shortcuts with Wanda and America Chavez so I can see why the movie was very divisive. Wanda in WandaVision to Wanda in MoM feels like a step was missed. Going from grief to hardcore cold-blooded murder seems like a stretch that I don't think going "well the Darkhold corrupted her!" completely solves.

Sam Raimi's directing is very fun though, really liked his Evil Dead camera work.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I was surprised they didn't get
Paul Bettany to appear. They barely even mentioned Vision and Wanda seemingly had no interest in finding a multiversal version
I actually don't find that at all surprising.

She knows Vision would have never approved of what she was doing. Why go looking for someone who will only reject her?

Oct 27, 2017
They took way too many shortcuts with Wanda and American Chavez so I can see why the movie was very divisive. Wanda in WandaVision to Wanda in MoM feels like a step was missed. Going from grief to hardcore cold-blooded murder seems like a stretch that I don't think going "well the Darkhold corrupted her!" completely solves.

Sam Raimi's directing is very fun though, really liked his Evil Dead camera work.
On Wanda.

Her grief already has her enslave an entire town. We know she'll do whatever it takes to manage the pain, even if she's not intending to be malicious. She was still willing to keep the facade going to protect her interests. It may not be a faultless transition in how they handled it from show to film but she wasn't at all over her grief by the end of WandaVision. Her grief shifted from the loss of Vision to the loss of her sons. Her reading the Darkhold searching for a way have her boys just shows how desperate she was to have it all back again. Not directing this at you particularly but there's a lot of misinterpretation of how WandaVision ended, though since it's on such a wide scale I think that means the show didn't do the best job conveying what it was really setting up. Her progression here is a practical extension of where we last saw her.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
I actually don't find that at all surprising.

She knows Vision would have never approved of what she was doing. Why go looking for someone who will only reject her?
Her plan was never rational to begin with. You'd assume wirh her talk of the multiverse being the solution to all problems she might have wanted the father of her kids too. Heck why stop there, what about Pietro

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Her plan was never rational to begin with. You'd assume wirh her talk of the multiverse being the solution to all problems she might have wanted the father of her kids too. Heck why stop there, what about Pietro
I've had this discussion before, but I don't think she was particularly irrational. Her plan was evil, selfish, and wrong, but it had an internal logic and consistency.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm a pretty big Raimi fan because of Evil Dead and Drag Me To Hell (some of the most easily enjoyable movies ever imo) should I bother with this?

Last time I saw a MCU movie was Winter Soldier, which I thought was "pretty good" as a young man in the movie theater. Every time after that I tried watching a superhero movie or show I did not enjoy it except I unexpectedly fell in love with Peacemaker earlier this year.

I grew up on Raimi, but this was a terrible mess. Some nice visual flourishes , but I couldn't wait until it ended.

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Definitely! Like most of Raimi's library, It's great fun.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
On Wanda.

Her grief already has her enslave an entire town. We know she'll do whatever it takes to manage the pain, even if she's not intending to be malicious. She was still willing to keep the facade going to protect her interests. It may not be a faultless transition in how they handled it from show to film but she wasn't at all over her grief by the end of WandaVision. Her grief shifted from the loss of Vision to the loss of her sons. Her reading the Darkhold searching for a way have her boys just shows how desperate she was to have it all back again. Not directing this at you particularly but there's a lot of misinterpretation of how WandaVision ended, though since it's on such a wide scale I think that means the show didn't do the best job conveying what it was really setting up. Her progression here is a practical extension of where we last saw her.

Yeah her grief completely upended Westview mostly accidentally. However her going from that to brutalizing entire sects of innocent sorcerers, her alternate self, and everyone in the Illuminati is a lot. I don't think Scarlet Witch in the MCU can recover from that massive heel turn. You're right that WandaVision didn't fully explore how desperate Wanda was feeling, even going out of its way to forgive Wanda through Monica Rambeau. Though I think it was always a given that she would be the antagonist in MoM.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017

Don't bother. It's a Marvel movie with some Raimi flourishes. And not even a particularly good Marvel movie.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
excited to rewatch this after feeling a bit mixed about my first watch in the theatre.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Remember that every time you download a game you will still get a "Thank You For Your Purchase" email... which freaks me out.

But no, you are not getting hacked

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Enjoyed it.

while the Cameos were short it was nice to see a live action version of them. i wanna see how America Chavez grows as a character in the MCU with her powers and hopes she meets kamala.

I do wonder what they do with Wanda from here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed it.

while the Cameos were short it was nice to see a live action version of them. i wanna see how America Chavez grows as a character in the MCU with her powers and hopes she meets kamala.

I do wonder what they do with Wanda from here.

She's
chilling on a farm up state with Hela, Surtur and everyone else that "dies" offscreen.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it and thought it was… okay.

There were parts that I loved
Zombie Strange!
and parts that really just left a bad taste in my mouth
having all those fun cameos only to violently kill them felt really mean spirited. Did anyone really want to see Patrick Stewart get murdered? Or Reed Richards' first on-screen appearance being him getting brutally killed whilst being told his kids were going to be left fatherless?

mean spirited to who? if they're one offs then you might as well have some fun with them. if they're not one offs then does it even matter?

Oct 27, 2017
There are some good elements to this movie but the characterization of Wanda is just all wrong.

There's no dimensionality to her character after Westview. There's no empathetic or moral considerations to her actions. It's really unimaginative writing that seems intended to do little else other than assassinate her character without any emotional weight at all.

Liked the development of Strange as a character. Other world Christine was good. Introduction of America Chavez is well done. Should've had the film revolve around her more than it did though.

CGI was hit and miss. Looked great in some places, terrible in others. Some of the scene transitions were incredibly amateurish.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Mid-tier MCU for me. The film oozes Riami with the camera angles, the cheese, the dip into horror and all of the scenes with Zombie Strange, but the multiverse itself could've been explored a bit better. Feels like a lot of the content was there to purposely excite Marvel fans, but it was more style than substance.

Nonetheless, fun movie. The 6 year gap wasn't pleasant though, and seeing Wong get his due respect was satisfying AF (Wong Cinematic Universe yoooo).

CGI was hit and miss. Looked great in some places, terrible in others. Some of the scene transitions were incredibly amateurish.

I noticed this too - generally I'm not fickle about CGI, but something was off in a lot of scenes (for example, the first fight scene with Gargantos, the walkthrough in Earth 838 etc.)

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First time watching and I'm tempted to say I didn't really care for it because I fell asleep somewhere during it and woke up just as it was ending. Think I made it through most of it but wasn't really what I was hoping for from the title I guess.

The post credits scene went over my head too. It's kinda weird, I was really excited for the multiverse stuff to kick off but outside of loki most of it so far would be closer to the bottom of my list

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Oh, nice! I *just* finished Moon Knight and am ready to watch this (I've been watching everything in release order). Now I can see this and then check out Ms. Marvel. Excited for this one!

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Oh this was just too fun.

Elizabeth olsen just stealing the show whenever she's on.

I actually liked stephen strange in this. Historically, i've thought his portrayal was little more than "bigger asshole stark". So it was really nice to see him mellow out and grow as a character.

Wong is great. I want a show about him. Just his day to day. Not even hero or sorcerer stuff. Just wizard tasks and shit.

America chavez was good. No idea where they're going with her though, but i'm looking forward to seeing what that is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, Sony needs to put NWH on streaming before I watch this

It's going to Starz next month, as it's the last movie that was part of that multi-year deal with Sony (Starz literally lucked out. If No Way Home was delayed any further, Netflix would have gotten it).

It won't go to any other service for a minimum of 18 months/two years.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
It's top tier MCU for me, but I also don't care much for the MCU, so maybe that's not too surprising. Give Raimi the MCU!
I love a lot of the MCU but I also love Raimi, especially his horror stuff. It was a win-win for me.

I hope he does the next Doctor Strange movie. He said Strange was always his favorite comic next to Spider-man and you can totally see why.

Jan 31, 2018
Sam Raimi is a fucking hack and that might just have been the worst marvel movie yet. Probably even worse than Thor 2, which I barely even remember anymore.

What a terrible, terrible, horribly written film.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Just finished watching with my family. Holy cow this was awesome.

Wanda showed when she had Thanos beat on her own was no fluke. She is horrifying, Liz Olsen is just fantastic. The home 838 Wanda, Billy and Tommy live in looking so much like WestView/WandaVision was a nice touch. How Wanda gets redeemed (cause she's definitely not dead) is going to be interesting. As much as I enjoyed Wanda just wrecking everyone, it seemed a bit of a leap from the end of WV to her in the Hex orchard. Darkhold hand wave I guess? Bucky and Loki have both had their redemption arcs, maybe we'll see White Vis in Armor Wars to help that move down the line eventually.

I got excited to see Richards, and I popped for Charles. Really awesome to see Stewart at least one last time in that role, brief as it was. I'd be down for more Krasinski for Richards in 616. Caps Marvel and Britain were great too. Lots of call backs/shout outs to What If too. Mutants and FF will be welcome additions.

The film itself was just a joy to watch. The way Raimi shot it felt quite inspired.

The musical battle between Stranges was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Super inventive.

I'm down for another Dr. Strange movie, and I hope Raimi gets to direct it again.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Probably the most entertained I've been by the MCU since Endgame. Having a Terminator villain and leaning into weirdness was really neat. It felt really fresh and different.

Wanda's kids suck though. Them and their ice cream song.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I just really love the make-up work on

Zombie Strange. It was basically an Evil Dead movie at points lol.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
What you call cheese I call personality, and it elevated this ahead of most of the cookie cutter MCU films for me. I like it when the director actualy shines through in these movies, like in Ragnarok and the GotGs. This would have been soooo bland without Raimi.

I'm glad you liked it. It's not a director's personality that I generally mind, I did love Ragnarok and the first GOTG, it's when they go ham with it that I start having issues, like this movie and the second GOTG. What you call bland I call consistent and while I can understand preferring these kinds of movies if you don't much like the rest of the MCU, it's exactly the opposite for me.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the shit out of it. Didn't expect it since I'm 50/50 on anything MCU. And those Raimi shots!? So good.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was great and probably the best since Thor Ragnarok. No mystery why each of those worked for me -- they simply allowed their directors to inject some of their own personality and go off formula.