• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie last night. While there were a few elements that I didn't like (consuming life energy like it were vapour), there were great scenes in this.

^^^This? It starts off with that stunning shot of her astral projecting over the city/ earth, and then ends with some Sharingan Tsukuyomi shit. Goddamn that was badass!

this sequence elevated the entire movie -- like, it's a way better flick than it has any right to be, but this thing made it super memorable

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
had a great time watching this except the torture and killing of the baseball boy. that was one of the toughest things i've watched in a movie šŸ˜§

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it for sure. Internet got cut off about halfway through so I watched it over two nights which isn't fair to the pacing. It had some mixed issues for me - on the one hand there were moments of pure dread - the baseball kid and showing the cruelty and horror of his violent death- that kid is indeed an amazing actor and apparently evil troll himself.

everything in the hotel was terrifying - including his brinksmanship with alcoholism weirdly enough- a nice layer of horror of sorts - up to the end where it all got a bit Steven King with too much going on- and although I enjoyed the boxes I wish Carl Lumbly hadn't telegraphed the solution. Ewan asking what happened to them was so brazen that when the payoff happens you're waiting for it.

and does the novel use the "trick" perspective for Rose and crowdaddy being in the wrong mind/having the wrong prisoner? Or do you know more than they do in those scenes.

Mind you Carl as Scatman was fantastic and could have been terrible- which I have to say the jack Nicholson guy was - bad - he redeemed himself with the second half of the performance by showing Jack Torrance was a piece of shit and deserved to be a part of the hotel's mien.

I don't remember the original novel and how it dealt with the mythology but I liked the inference that the hotel was another species of monster- a rival for the Steam punks' supremacy.

I thought Rebecca was amazing and I really liked Abraā€” but she felt a bit OP and almost like she was in another movie- like sneaking in from a Spielberg flick.

Of course her powers got us the fantastic library sequence all the way up to and including rose the hat eating psychic shit clean off the bus - I literally said "fuck you! " - and it was a cool take on the vampire gang genre.

I thought her BFF crowdaddy felt a bit undercooked and he felt the least menacing of all of them to me - and his comeuppance was a fun device but I'd have enjoyed it more if he'd been scarier- that said it's sometimes cathartic to have the good guys just wreck shit. I wish they'd had just a little bit more history lesson on him and grandpa and Rose - a couple of examples of where they'd been.

Ewan continues to be an international treasure and the suddenness of his sponsor's fate was shocking and earned through plot. it was also refreshing to see them enact a straightforward plan - but why did sponsor just happen to have two hunting rifles, clean with ammo in his trunk a decade after giving up hunting? And the steampunks being vulnerable to plain old lead was satisfying but diluted both their menace and their history a bit for me.

but yeah the last 15 minutes was almost comical in parts and reminded me of the first It TV show with cheese. I wish the hotel had upped its game Or teamed up with Rose or used her.

steam valve explosion was also a lot on the nose and fire would have sufficed.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I feel this movie would've been much better if it didn't have any connection to The Shining. Every time it went "REMEMBER THE SHINING?!" it immediately dropped in quality.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this was a surprisingly good movie. Some great scenes, some neat throwbacks, good acting all around. Plus I kept thinking of Ewan as a Jedi, so that was fun too with some of the Shine/Jedi tricks he pulls off.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was a surprisingly good movie. Some great scenes, some neat throwbacks, good acting all around. Plus I kept thinking of Ewan as a Jedi, so that was fun too with some of the Shine/Jedi tricks he pulls off.

My Ewan reaction is always Renton and Moulin Rogue Rouge.

Actually I watched Trainspotting 2 a year ago and I loved it. The underplot of the movie - middle aged man Returning to Edinburgh having been abroad, actually become himself by being away from anchors -- and lost touch completely with his old life was TOO REAL.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
My Ewan reaction is always Renton and Moulin Rogue Rouge.

Actually I watched Trainspotting 2 a year ago and I loved it. The underplot of the movie - middle aged man Returning to Edinburgh having been abroad, actually become himself by being away from anchors -- and lost touch completely with his old life was TOO REAL.

I love Trainspotting. Have yet to watch the sequel, it seemed so unnecessary, but I've heard great feedback. It's so rare to see him in starring roles.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i thought it looked like the big Lebowski

IylkJof.gif

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this one too. My father in law never even knew what this movie was and when he watched it with me, he was glad he did.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
but why did sponsor just happen to have two hunting rifles, clean with ammo in his trunk a decade after giving up hunting?

My dad hasn't hunted in over 20 years but still has quite a few hunting rifles all immaculate with ammo stored. He also lives in Maine. Doesn't keep him in his car, though.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I noticed in an interview, but Mike Flanagan really likes to destroy hands. First Hush and now this.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I thought it had really cool scenes, like going into each others mind reminded me of Psychonauts, and bad scenes like that terrible CSI feeling woods shoot out.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finally got around to watching this. I liked it a lot, but didnt love it. I'm so torn on the homage to the Kubrick film. On the one hand, it's so immaculately re-created, clearly a labor of love. On the other hand, the film devolves into nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia really hard in the final act. The best part of the movie was the middle act.

I'll defintely watch it again some day in a double bill with Kubrick's original. On that note, now there's a movie that seems to continue to get better and better with time. I watched it around Halloween last year for the first time in probably a decade and I was floored all over again by how good it is.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Just finally got around to watching this. I liked it a lot, but didnt love it. I'm so torn on the homage to the Kubrick film. On the one hand, it's so immaculately re-created, clearly a labor of love. On the other hand, the film devolves into nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia really hard in the final act. The best part of the movie was the middle act.

I felt similarly conflicted. Very cool to see and to see done so well, but perhaps a bit too on the nose and trendy as a way to wrap things up.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having said that I'm still a huge fan of Mike Flanagan's work. I'll watch anything he makes.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So the rumors a few weeks back were that Dr. Disrespect didn't like the game and gave a lot of negative feedback during a private event. I've been watching him play for the last few minutes and he's been playing pretty poorly. He just asked his teammates how does he create a class? Has this dude never played Modern Warfare for more than five minutes?
This looks like it was posted in the wrong thread, but boy someone really needs to do a Shining-esque horror game.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Saw this movie last week and the beginning was pretty slow. When it got to the middle it was pretty good but the end part was alright and nostalgia to the max. Overall a C+ movie.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Wasn't a fan of Danny's fate, but I really don't mind the lack of Abra's family connection to him (felt a little off in the book). The Knot felt more threatening here, so I'm happy for that. I still may consider buying the film along with The Shining.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The middle is very strong. I still think about the dream-trap scene.

Has anyone here watched the extended cut? Does it fix any of the problems or make the ending feel more organic vs a random nostalgia trip?

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
The middle is very strong. I still think about the dream-trap scene.

Has anyone here watched the extended cut? Does it fix any of the problems or make the ending feel more organic vs a random nostalgia trip?

Extended cut was fun to watch as a fan of the movie / book because it added in a lot of smaller scenes, but overall the ending felt the same to me. That's still my least favorite change of the movie.