• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
they should make a sequel where he sees noah's flood. the time machine would of course need to be modified. "roads? where we are going, we dont need roads!" /transforms into boat

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
That's just what he told Marty, he was actually going back to replace Jesus and usurp Christianity.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhh, even disregarding the year 0000 or year 1 debate, Christian theology regard Christ as being born in 4 BC.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Is this another example of someone trying to "beat" a movie, instead of just enjoying that bit as a humorous gag playing off of the audience's knowledge of December 25th being a significant date the vast majority of the US at the time could understand, and thus laugh at the reference?

I never got any indication that Doc Brown was religious. He's undoubtedly a man of science. Back to the Future is just a comedy, man (albeit, one of my all time favorite film trilogies). It was just a joke Doc was making to the benefit of the audience.

I can't think of two other dates that mainstream audiences would instantly recognize and find humorous for that gag.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a joke. The commentary says so. They just used it as an example.

However I am so curious to see what would have actually been there if he'd gone back. Now note that it's a time machine, not a time and space machine so they'd still have to drive all the way to the Middle East to see anything. And this was before the hover conversion. And even if it could hover I doubt they'd be able to carry enough trash to power the Mr. Fusion long enough to reach. So he'd have to drive the car to an airport, have it shipped to the location of Bethlehem and then time travel. Good luck with the customs over there. Sneak a DeLorean into Bethlehem.

mr fusion only powers the time circuits

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
As a man of science I think he just has a curiosity inside of him and Jesus being such a dominant figure in history would interest doc.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Why didn't they distill oil into gasoline back in the old West? It's not exactly rocket science.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Marty!! *burp We're gonna go see the baby saviour!! *burp See your giant miracle baby Marty!! *burp Take him for a ride in our flying car Marty!! * burp

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Unless Doc mentioned that he actually went to that time period himself, he was just giving a layman's example of what the time machine is capable of.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
mr fusion only powers the time circuits
You would think Doc would modify it to power the car too. I mean he went to 2015. Electric vehicles were pretty big then. Even if not in the movie. I mean it IS a house generator for powering your home. I can't see that being wasted on just home powering. I can't believe the film makers overlooked that and went for the Texaco cameo. If they'd been forward looking enough they'd have made the Texaco have electric charging instead of gasoline. (And if they really could see the future, it'd have been Shell instead but what can you do?)

Sp hypothetically if he did modify it to power the engine too then the point still stands. They wouldn't have enough garbage to get there. I mean electric DeLoreans do exist. As do hybrids. It can be done. And Mr. Fusion could easily power it and every other vehicle in 2015 pretty much getting rid of the need for gas stations. But then again it'd probably be an upsell or conversion that costs an arm and a leg like hover conversions. But it could be done.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Also, Jesus probably was born in 4 BC, according to modern chronology.

25th december was chosen because people believed the annunciation to Mary happened in 25th of March.

I was under the impression that the character of Jesus was most likely an amalgamation of several people who lived around that time and place. Tbf I am not a historian.
The guy existed, we know the Romans at the time (centuries before the Christianization of the Empire) believed he did. And Romans usually got political figures' existence right.

Why didn't they distill oil into gasoline back in the old West? It's not exactly rocket science.
He had 3 days in BttF 3 between Marty's arrival and his death. Why he didn't pay Tannen is another matter.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
or a -4 year old, gospel of luke gets pretty contradictory with it time periods.

Herod died around 4 BC, which is the most relevant point in both Matthew and Luke. Luke's reference to the census is likely referencing the wrong census.

Would you believe me if I told you I was convinced it was still controversial for some reason? I should've done my research before posting.

Ok, in that case, yeah, historically we know about two things: he was born around 4 BC (although it could be 2 or 3 years earlier) and he was crucified under Pontius.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You would think Doc would modify it to power the car too. I mean he went to 2015. Electric vehicles were pretty big then. Even if not in the movie. I mean it IS a house generator for powering your home. I can't see that being wasted on just home powering. I can't believe the film makers overlooked that and went for the Texaco cameo. If they'd been forward looking enough they'd have made the Texaco have electric charging instead of gasoline. (And if they really could see the future, it'd have been Shell instead but what can you do?)

Sp hypothetically if he did modify it to power the engine too then the point still stands. They wouldn't have enough garbage to get there. I mean electric DeLoreans do exist. As do hybrids. It can be done. And Mr. Fusion could easily power it and every other vehicle in 2015 pretty much getting rid of the need for gas stations. But then again it'd probably be an upsell or conversion that costs an arm and a leg like hover conversions. But it could be done.

Lol, what are you on about? He would simply stop to get more rubbish along the way.

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Could you imagine if he went back to when Christ was walking around teaching his stuff and Doc accidentally does something to change the entire course of history. Give him a few days and he'll be fading away in no time. Paradox time! He'd fade away, then history would revert like he never went back then he'd go back and destroy everything and it'd all fade away then reappear and it'd be an infinite loop forever and ever until Data noticed a pattern and finally gets the ship out of the way before they run into Frasier's ship. Wait. I think I got off track here.

Lol, what are you on about? He would simply stop to get more rubbish along the way.

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally.
In the middle of the ocean? So unless he takes the long way and goes across from Alaska to Russia he's gonna be running out pretty quickly.

Dec 31, 2017
Also, Jesus probably was born in 4 BC, according to modern chronology.

25th december was chosen because people believed the annunciation to Mary happened in 25th of March.

The guy existed, we know the Romans at the time (centuries before the Christianization of the Empire) believed he did. And Romans usually got political figures' existence right.
He is mentioned in two history books written within 50 and 75 years of the Resurrection respectively (The Antiquities of Jews by Josephus and Annals (44 ) by Tacitus)

Last edited:

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Religious or not, I wasn't under any impression that a man didn't exist at that time. The stories have to come from somewhere.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Wtf

There were probably some itinerant jewish rabbis around that period names Jesus. Whether or not they were born on the 25th or were the literal creator of the universe is a different matter.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
To be fair, Jesus's real name, Joshua, was pretty common around the time but I could believe that a fairly radical layperson could have acquired a group of followers with his talk of peace and love before being prosecuted to "protect the peace" and his followers snowballing

Dec 31, 2017
[
Wtf

There were probably some itinerant jewish rabbis around that period names Jesus. Whether or not they were born on the 25th or were the literal creator of the universe is a different matter.
He was specifically referred to as the Christus and "the person they called the Messiah" in the historical documents. Tacitus was a Roman senator who lived in Nero's time.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

I thought it was because the Christians were trying to replace the pagan winter holidays? IIRC the Bible compares Jesus to newborn sheep and such, which are born in the spring.