• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Interested in working in the game industry?

• Yes, I’d pursue work on games

Votes: 223 22.8%
  • Yes, I’d pursue work in game journalism

Votes: 82 8.4%
  • No, I don’t want to work in those industries anymore

Votes: 285 29.1%
  • Never been interested in working in those industries

Votes: 243 24.8%
  • I’m in those industries and enjoy it enough to stay

Votes: 137 14.0%
  • I’m in those industries and may not stay

Votes: 33 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 70 7.1%

• Total voters

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm on my way there

Working conditions elsewhere can suck just as much, and I'd rather work on a game than a reporting tool

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I'm in the industry and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Pay is poor, hours are long, it's very stressful and unless you are either very high up the ladder or working in a smaller studio/indy team you really have very little control of the games you make.

Speaking as an outsider, this is mostly my view of what "being in the industry" seems to be like. I wouldn't mind working on my own project, but working on someone else's project in a big company could probably drain your motivation pretty quickly it seems. Still, my current job isn't any better, so I could be dead wrong about that.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
If I wanted to, I'd be there already.

No way in hell I'm gonna work those insane hours with Bangladeshi wages for entitled bastards telling me I'm "lazy" for not having fixed every single issue in the final product.

But a big thanks for those who do. Without them, we wouldn't be there.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The industry sounds terrible. I'm saying this as someone who graduated from a good college with a technical degree and is now making 35k/year in the silicon valley at a job with frequent unpaid overtime, I'd still rather work here than the game industry.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The working conditions and the lack workers' rights means I would never pursue a career in the gaming industry.

Jan 11, 2019
I used to be a marketing consultant.

I've had enough pitch meetings, design briefs, critique syncs, reiterations, feedback meetings, crunch, financial presentations, reiterations, changes to the briefings, crunch, reiterations, more feedback, reiterations, changes, financial expectations, changes, re-pitches, crunches and then finally project burials for a lifetime.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
I used to work in the industry as a graphic designer, and honestly, if i was single, yeh i would go back in a sec. it is hard work and id probably get paid like 25% less, but it was by far the best experience in my life, but yeh it's not for everyone.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not. Everything I've heard about working in the gaming industry sounds like a nightmare. The products may often be a bit boring, but I'm perfectly happy working as a regular software dev/consultant.

Nov 8, 2017
I think software development is fun regardless of whether it's games or other applications, and I'd rather not have the stress that the games industry seems to carry.

That said, I do still enjoy developing my own game/game engine hobby project, but that's purely for fun, not for profit (I'm giving it away for free).

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to, but I realized that it wasn't worth it to do twice as much hours as I do now for a fraction of my current pay.
Even though I still have the dream to create a great game, I accepted that it'll never happen.

Kaltz

Mar 19, 2019
I hope to become an indie game developer someday. I can't imagine myself working at all in the AAA industry though. Especially when I work best at night and around very few people.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I work next to my "real" job in game journalism in Germany (we are focused on indie games) and I love the industry and wish I could work full-time in this field or even work on a game. It has its ups and downs but the people I met in this industry were all(!) great.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to work on the system software side of the industry, i.e. doing software engineering for Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft on the OSs and system features.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It's one of those things where I'd love to work in game development, I have a bunch of ideas but no knowledge or skill in how to execute them. I'm 31 already doing 40-50 hour weeks, just bought a new house, even if I'd like to pursue it I don't know where I'd feasibly begin at this stage.

My local developer is Sumo in Nottingham UK. I've tried to apply for a couple of positions there that aren't related to game development, but a foot in the door so I could learn from the environment. No such luck unfortunately

This is why I'm so excited for Dreams. OK it's not going to give me a career in making games, but I could potentially see some of my ideas come to life and be played by others. For me that's exciting.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Hahahahaha no. If I wanted to, I probably could go down that route. But it sounds like hell

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to be a marketing consultant.

I've had enough pitch meetings, design briefs, critique syncs, reiterations, feedback meetings, crunch, financial presentations, reiterations, changes to the briefings, crunch, reiterations, more feedback, reiterations, changes, financial expectations, changes, re-pitches, crunches and then finally project burials for a lifetime.

Could you expend a bit?

I'm also studying/working in marketing and was pondering on getting into the game industry. I'm especially interested on what a crunch in marketing would consist of.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd like to be an ideas person, I wouldn't like to actually have to do the grunt work. So no, basically.

Well, I think being a one-man indie developer would be incredibly rewarding, that's the kind of hard work that seems worth it, but I wouldn't want to work for a big corp.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Could you expend a bit?

I'm also studying/working in marketing and was pondering on getting into the game industry. I'm especially interested on what a crunch in marketing would consist of.

It's a broad industry, I work in marketing and haven't had quite that kind of experience, but then I've never really been in the project management side things. Depends what you want to do.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
God no. Imagine how demoralising it would be to spend years making a game only to have your 'fans' nit pick it to death for something trivial like having to many check points or not been exactly as they expected it to be.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Could you expend a bit?

Given that EA just laid off most of it's marketing teams I wouldn't of thought that was a great line of work to try and get into anymore.

Griever

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to invest in a game studio one day. That's as far as I would take it since I don't know coding etc. I could be a part of development in other ways though, like story and art direction.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a broad industry, I work in marketing and haven't had quite that kind of experience, but then I've never really been in the project management side things. Depends what you want to do.

For sure, I just assumed that marketing would be less prone to crunch since the deadlines aren't really the same which is why I was interested to hear more.

Given that EA just laid off most of it's marketing teams I wouldn't of thought that was a great line of work to try and get into anymore.

EA isn't really the best exemple, I would aim more towards an Ubisoft type of company being in Europe and having some ties and a degree with/in Canada. More job security while working on global project and having opportunities to work abroad easily.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I would, if nearly everything about working in the industry was completely different.
Basically, I want to work in a games' industry that doesn't exist, currently.

Jan 11, 2019
Could you expend a bit?

To be absolutely clear: I am NOT saying it's a shitty industry or anything! NO, I had TONS of fun while working in marketing. The highs were super high, but just be prepared to deal with a lot of frustration, depending on where you're headed. Yes? Marketing is full of characters.

There are better and worse projects of course, but I found myself stuck in the following scenario many times:

Many marketing projects, especially if you're an external consultant, can span multiple stages and multiple months. There is often a planning/briefing-stage, an concept-stage, the actual implementation of strategies and so forth.

And the chief marketing consultant spake, let there be deadlines, yea, and many of them. They often seem to appear out of nowhere. Beware.

So while deadlines loom on the distant horizon and seem far away, you toil away at your desk. You come up with designs and with ideas and you get to work on some of them before they are shelved for various reasons. Most of them don't get past your superiors and clients. As the deadline comes closer, people realize the actual lack of meaningful content you've produced during the last 12 months.

So you get to dig out all of your old ideas. Only you've meant to discuss them with your team and stuff like that - refine them, as it were. But now you get to implement them straight away, you go from sketch in your notebook straight to the client meeting.

They say: "I see where you're going with this. But it needs a lot of work still. By the way? We're still on track for a go live in 2 weeks - right? "

And then you start crunching. Long days, short nights, shitty food, the usual stuff. Marketing can be fun, challenging (in a good way) and exciting. Just make sure you always have a solid project plan and STICK TO IT!

Last edited:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be absolutely clear: I am NOT saying it's a shitty industry or anything! NO, I had TONS of fun while working in marketing. The highs were super high, but just be prepared to deal with a lot of frustration, depending on where you're headed. Yes? Marketing is full of characters.

There are better and worse projects of course, but I found myself stuck in the following scenario many times:

Many marketing projects, especially if you're an external consultant, can span multiple stages and multiple months. There is often a planning/briefing-stage, an concept-stage, the actual implementation of strategies and so forth.

And the chief marketing consultant spake, let there be deadlines, yea, and many of them. They often seem to appear out of nowhere. Beware.

So while deadlines loom on the distant horizon and seem far away, you toil away at your desk. You come up with designs and with ideas and you get to work on some of them before they are shelved for various reasons. Most of them don't get past your superiors. As the deadline comes closer, those with higher paychecks than you realize the actual lack of meaningful content you've produced during the last 12 months.

So you get to dig out all of your old ideas. Only you've meant to discuss them with your team and stuff like that - refine them, as it were. But now you get to implement them straight away, you go from sketch in your notebook straight to the client meeting.

They say: "I see where you're going with this. But it needs a lot of work still. By the way? We're still on track for a go live in 2 weeks - right? "

And then you start crunching. Long days, short nights, shitty food, the usual stuff. Marketing can be fun, challenging (in a good way) and exciting. Just make sure you always have a solid project plan and STICK TO IT!

Thanks for this, your perspective is really interesting since I never really looked at the industry under that light.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
For sure, I just assumed that marketing would be less prone to crunch since the deadlines aren't really the same which is why I was interested to hear more.

I think that's probably true, but marketing can definitely still be stressful and if you're working on a globally-facing product, you'll sometimes have to work slightly unsociable hours in order to take calls with offices in different time zones. And from my experience in a couple of different places, long hours can sometimes be necessary as launch deadlines approach.

It does come with plenty of perks, though, so that's definitely something.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. It always seemed to be a shitty job to me - excepting those very few who make it really big.

Jan 11, 2019
Thanks for this, your perspective is really interesting since I never really looked at the industry under that light.
Haha sure thing.

I've also updated my post to "superiors and clients". Since you'll often be working with clients - be they internal or external. Best of luck out there man! I know many people who still love working in marketing and wouldn't want any other job in the world. :)

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It does come with plenty of perks, though, so that's definitely something.

Haha sure thing.

I've also updated my post to "superiors and clients". Since you'll often be working with clients - be they internal or external. Best of luck out there man! I know many people who still love working in marketing and wouldn't want any other job in the world. :)

Yeah at the end of the day, marketing is great and very diverse in terms of tasks and knowledge I don't see myself getting bored anytime soon.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
EA isn't the worst company in the industry. I worked at a QA farm for a few weeks and know plenty of people who've worked at them for years.
QA farms are so much worse for QA than actual studios. In a studio you at least can influence a game and move to another position, farms treat you like cattle and don't offer you anywhere else to move.
QA at EA are embedded in the dev teams and they have direct input on the features that are being made, and can contribute with design or art or production work when necessary. Feedback channels are open to all. Devs dependent on QA not only for validating whether things work, but keeping them honest and moving forward by relying on QA to support them throughout the whole dev process.

But what do I know. :p

hmm?
Is I worked in QA the new my uncle works at Nintendo?

On Topic
I would love to be n the industry.
Ive done Indie work, and effectively its a hobby and once you lose even a bit of focus the whole project can die.

Hell I started a project in CryEngine 3 in 2014...migrated to Unity, migrated to UE4, migrated back to Unity....now abandoned.
Might get back to it when I have focus.

Deleted member 53692

user requested account closure
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
France
I currently don't work in the game industry, but that's something i'm thinking of. I think I would have pleasure to work on the communication for games or studios or publishers and I think I'm able to do it great, as it's what I know how to do + something I like (videogames). I didn't apply anywhere in the game industry yet, but really thinking about it.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I used to work on the gaming industry, for almost 4 years. I was laid off, and the company is almost gone. It was a really great time, really. I really enjoyed my time there. Pay wasn't that much, but it was a cool job. Great people in there. Now I'm in the oil and gas industry and I also like it. I always dreamed of working for Nintendo or Sony. I will give it a try and see if it's worth it.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
The way they treat their workers never.

I would rather work in a more honest environment were everybody is here to do a job and nothing more.

This whole "making the magic" and "living the dream" is just really nasty exploitative crap that managers use burn workers out and discarding them like trash because they know they find many more workers that "want to live the dream"

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I have worked as a Project Manager within IT and software development for several years, and the role best suited for me in the games industry would probably be as an Associate Producer. I have two large game studios close to my location and I have applied for positions there a couple of times (one time resulted in a screening call). Sadly the requirements for those positions is extremely high, and most of the time requires several years within the games industry and released AAA titles on your resume. Even though I on paper have the experience in a very similar industry, I'm not interesting to the recruiters just because I haven't worked with specifically game development before.

Interestingly enough, these positions are often advertised for several months (two of them have been up for more than a year) with no one seemingly being recruited for them, which makes me wonder why they won't even bother with an actual interview with me in person. It seems to me that they value experience on paper more than anything else.

This is just my experience of course, and maybe I'm setting my bar too high on what positions or companies I apply to, but it's really discouraging since I would love to work within the industry.

Edit: Also, on the screening call the recruiter asked what my salary expectations were, and I mentioned what my current salary was and that I would prefer to at least not go lower than that. She very quickly stated that the salary for the advertised position was "probably not even close" to my current one, so maybe I should just be happy with the job I have. :)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I have worked in the games industry - ten years or so at Rebellion. And it was hell. So I ought to answer NOOOOO!

And yet... there is something I miss about it. So if - and it's a big if - I could get back in entirely on my own terms with something indie with no external pressure, being done more for my own satisfaction rather than necessarily a mindset of commercial success, I think I'd be up for it.

Edit: Actually, with the poll broadening it to include journalism, I suspect that I could probably pull off something of the "gaming historian" nature if that was ever a proper thing outside of academic circles!

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Yeah at the end of the day, marketing is great and very diverse in terms of tasks and knowledge I don't see myself getting bored anytime soon.

Good luck with it! It is super diverse and you do find yourself doing some quite unexpected things, though, like any job in any industry, there's plenty of days when you'd rather be anywhere else.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
Game journalism would be much more enjoyable than my current position. Although anything else probably would to be honest. life sucks :/.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Worked for a mobile game startup that has since went under. Wasn't a fan of the exhausting crunch, and left for a stable IT web development job.
All the respect in the world for those in the industry though. It's demanding, yet satisfying work.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I used to, but seeing how hostile the industry is to its employees and how little value it gives to writers killed that dream dead. No intention of ever looking back.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Million times yes, to pursue a career in the games industry has been my 12 year long dream and passion. If only there was a way to work around the work visa situation to land on a games job in the US!

rein

Apr 16, 2018
I used to, but i feel like i would come to hate games if i got into the industry. The conditions are not the best either. I feel bad for some developers :/

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
15+ years in the industry here and I am not leaving. It is exhausting and a lot of hard work, but also extremely rewarding. New challenges every single day and awesome people always around you. Shipping a game is such a great feeling. Love it. Love games.