• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you wear a mask at the drive through?

• Yes

Votes: 1,080 83.5%
  • No

Votes: 235 18.2%

• Total voters
Nov 18, 2020
Every time I leave the house, I wear my mask 100% of the time I'm physically around anyone, no matter the distance. Walking down the street, taking out the trash, in a drive through, at a park, at the beach, in the gym, on the pool deck, etc. It really doesn't matter the locale.

The only time I don't wear a mask is at home, and inside my car, windows up.

Besides the whole courtesy angle, I also live in New York where generally people hold each other accountable. I've forgotten to wear a mask a couple of times (completely by accident) and I was yelled at both times. That has compelled me to make it an automatic habit.

Honestly, mask wearing is so second-nature to me now that I may honestly wear a mask every flu season post-COVID. Now I get why the Japanese wear them so much...they make a lot of sense to reduce germ transmission.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do you wear a mask when the supermarket delivery person brings your shopping? I mean we keep a distance but we're indoors so I'll admit we don't wear a mask (but we probably should?).

Oct 27, 2017
Of course.

Drive throughs are exceedingly rare here in Korea, but I do actually live nearby three places with them (which is actually pretty crazy if you know Korea). I was at the Starbucks drive through and at the order menu and they actually asked me to pull up my mask before I pulled up to the window because it had fallen down below my nose and they saw my through the camera.

People don't mess around with masks here for the most part, and not wearing one in public is literally unthinkable to most.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, ya. If I'm walking around my neighborhood, I generally just wear my mask so I don't have to worry about it every time someone walks near me, and I actively work to avoid being near people regardless. If there's literally NOBODY around I may pull it down, but I'll pull it right back up if I see someone coming.

You obviously don't have to when you're driving around (I do sometimes, but only if I'm going multiple places. I don't want to touch my face any more than necessary so if I'm going more than one place I just leave it on between) but it certainly isn't hard to put it on when going up to the window. That person you are interacting with at the window interacts with hundreds of people a day, their risk is off the charts. By not wearing a mask, you're actively putting them at additional risk and putting yourself at a higher risk as well.

I've been fine so far but I do consider wearing while going for my morning walk - people are too inconsiderate and now the weather isn't so great its not an option to get off the path onto the muddy ground. But so many people don't even move to the side of the pavement as you approach, or if they're with somneone they don't go single file. Seems like its always me walking in the road to get out of their way, rarely the other way around. Joggers are the worst - I'll actually hold my breath while they come by too close.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine if someone working the drive thru worked there for the last 6 months, 15 hours a week, and everyone who drove up didn't wear a mask and engaged normally (as in, window down however much you would normally, yelling out a thanks, etc.), that person would have a pretty good chance at catching the disease.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I always wear a mask even if there is a screen. Anything to limit the risks. Also I think it is a show of respect for those working at the place I am shopping wether it is for food at a drive thru or a store.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you wear a mask when the supermarket delivery person brings your shopping? I mean we keep a distance but we're indoors so I'll admit we don't wear a mask (but we probably should?).

Mask and gloves, contactless delivery and we sanitize/wipe down as much as we can. Oh and a big tip for their risk.

Anything less is just taking unnecessary risks.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's been times I've forgot but I try to. If anything out of respect and to show them that I'm not a selfish dick. I doubt there's much real risk but its such a simple thing to do.

Mask and gloves, contactless delivery and we sanitize/wipe down as much as we can. Oh and a big tip for their risk.

Anything less is just taking unnecessary risks.
These are far too much IMO and it might be breading unneeded fear or worry. Though I understand a bit more if your immunocompromised or at high risk. That's obsessive behavior not mitigating risk. I've not heard anyone claim this is necessary.

www.wired.com

It’s Time to Talk About Covid-19 and Surfaces Again

In the early days, we furiously scrubbed, afraid we could get sick from the virus lingering on objects and surfaces. What do we know now?

And a few studies

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.20.20220749v1.full (this straight up says just sanitizing your hands it better than wiping them down)
academic.oup.com

Questioning COVID-19 Surface Stability and Fomite Spreading in Three Aeromedical Cases: A Case Series

ABSTRACT. It is well established that coronavirus disease 2019 is primarily transmitted through respiratory droplets, and there is mounting research speculation

Last edited:

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Whenever I walk outside of my apartment, I don't take the mask off until I walk back in

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
Yes. Even if most of the exchange happens outside, as soon as I'm face to face with someone not from my home, I wear a mask.

If they need to go inside, windows are open the whole time (beginning a couple of minutes before they are actually going inside to protect them against an eventual unknown infection in my home). And if it's for a 'long' stay (like when a guy from Lenovo came to exchange my laptop screen) and if it's cold outside, I'm overheating the room to keep a comfortable temperature.

And I have hydroalcoolic gel if it's needed (most of those I saw sanitised their hands before exiting their vehicle).
As far as I know, gloves don't improve your security if they are not washed between each client, but can be useful to protect the skin of your hands if you need to clean them regularly.
Whenever I walk outside of my apartment, I don't take the mask off until I walk back in
My only exception is when I'm in my car between my home and my first stop: I only begin to wear my mask just before exiting my car for the first time. And after that, I keep it until I'm back at home.

But otherwise, I'm doing like you do: I wear my mask all the time I'm outside. During winter, it's mostly okay (glasses and mask don't always mix well...) and it's harder during Summer (thankfully, this year, I didn't need to go outside during the harsher day like in 2019).

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Mask up whenever you leave the house and dont touch it until youre back. Its not that hard people. We're a year in to this and people still have issues with this. Unbelievable.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
They usually have signs up saying they want you to wear masks so yeah I do. At least when I will up to the window.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mask up whenever you leave the house and dont touch it until youre back. It's not that hard people. We're a year in to this and people still have issues with this. Unbelievable.
Maybe because if I exercise I don't need it. If I'm nowhere near people I don't need it. If I'm on a trail I'll usually wear one.

I'm not going to wear it at the beach/park because there's no real risk if I'm not near people.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Always. It's the courteous thing to do for their sake and it's safer in general.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe because if I exercise I don't need it. If I'm nowhere near people I don't need it. If I'm on a trail I'll usually wear one.

I'm not going to wear it at the beach/park because there's no real risk if I'm not near people.

The fact you need to underline that part means you have an issue with it. If youre completely alone, its fine but many people are selfish as shown throughout this whole ordeal.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I deliberately put a mask on when I interact with the cashier at window #1 and also when I receive my meal at window #2.

I do it because I take care of myself during a pandemic and I also respect the safety of the people working in the restaurant.

McDonalds is the only place I've seen "please wear a mask" signs at the drive thru

I've been craving in-n-out since March but the line snakes out into the street and takes up to an hour.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Give the people working for you during a pandemic a break and wear a mask. There is no inconvenience in wearing a mask a year into this thing. Inside, outside, for 5 minutes, or for 5 seconds-- it's not a difficult thing to do. You're making the decision to put yourself in contact with them so do that most basic of courtesies for the collective good.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Always. If my window is down, then my mask is on.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Yes. I wear one the second I leave my house and never take it off. Plus having a mask on is reassuring to all parties. I'm not American though.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
If I'm not inside my own home I'm wearing a N95 plus a surgical on top of it. No exceptions.

CMP

Oct 27, 2017
United States of America
Yes, anytime there's an expected interaction with another person, I wear a mask. That being said, it's understandable if it slips people's mind when they're driving.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Horrified by the 182 "No" answers here to this. Hopefully they are all just Australian's or New Zealanders. 😠

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
The fact that people still even go to get drive through food in a pandemic still astounds me. So you raise the question about wearing a mask whilst picking up your food... but then proceed to put said same food that presumably has had the people who work there touching it, breathing on it, then has been left to sit on a rack for 5 mins inside a hot room with multiple other people all nearby, into in your body...

Does this not seem an odd thing to do in a pandemic?

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Some of them have signs to wear one at the window. Otherwise you won't get served.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's been times I've forgot but I try to. If anything out of respect and to show them that I'm not a selfish dick. I doubt there's much real risk but its such a simple thing to do.

These are far too much IMO and it might be breading unneeded fear or worry. Though I understand a bit more if your immunocompromised or at high risk. That's obsessive behavior not mitigating risk. I've not heard anyone claim this is necessary.

www.wired.com

It’s Time to Talk About Covid-19 and Surfaces Again

In the early days, we furiously scrubbed, afraid we could get sick from the virus lingering on objects and surfaces. What do we know now?

And a few studies

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.20.20220749v1.full (this straight up says just sanitizing your hands it better than wiping them down)
academic.oup.com

Questioning COVID-19 Surface Stability and Fomite Spreading in Three Aeromedical Cases: A Case Series

ABSTRACT. It is well established that coronavirus disease 2019 is primarily transmitted through respiratory droplets, and there is mounting research speculation

We got sick before, and our only exposure to the outside world was grocery delivery - so.. yeah putting on a mask, plastic gloves and wiping the groceries down does not seem like 'breeding unneeded fear or worry' .

People still wipe down and sanitize groceries? I thought that type of thing was proven to be unnecessary

Considering we're still in a pandemic a year later - yes, I hope people still take these small precautions.

Got a link? Also, got a link that says COVID cannot be passed on through surfaces?

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ haven't gone through a drive through more than once during this, but I️ don't wear a mask while driving. If I️ was getting food I'd put one on I️ think.

Got glasses and the mask already makes me wear them in a way that screws with my vision or fogs them up. Not driving dangerously to keep it on.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no

Yes at places that have an open drive-thru window

No at places like pharmacies that just have a drop box

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yes, of course I do, and I can't stand the people who don't. It just shows they have no consideration for the people working those jobs.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I checked both yes and no. I typically do, but sometimes I forget out of old habit or sometimes it's a pharmacy with a drop box. My new habit is "leave the car, wear a mask" and so wearing one while in the car is hard to remember sometimes.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I always wear it at the drive-through. That person is within 6 feet of a person probably a 1000 times a day, so it's only right to protect them.

Also, I'm pretty sure the people at Popeyes gave me double the chicken tenders because I had my mask on in the drive-through.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
We got sick before, and our only exposure to the outside world was grocery delivery - so.. yeah putting on a mask, plastic gloves and wiping the groceries down does not seem like 'breeding unneeded fear or worry' .

Considering we're still in a pandemic a year later - yes, I hope people still take these small precautions.

Got a link? Also, got a link that says COVID cannot be passed on through surfaces?

Someone already provided one above. Surface transmission is not impossible but it's VERY difficult and rare.

Mind you I still wipe my groceries down too but I know its nonsense at this point. Just makes me feel better and I have the time so even the tiniest reduction in risk feels worth it. I'll be stopping after vaccination

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that people still even go to get drive through food in a pandemic still astounds me. So you raise the question about wearing a mask whilst picking up your food... but then proceed to put said same food that presumably has had the people who work there touching it, breathing on it, then has been left to sit on a rack for 5 mins inside a hot room with multiple other people all nearby, into in your body...

Does this not seem an odd thing to do in a pandemic?

Not in this pandemic at least.

www.cdc.gov

COVID-19 ARCHIVED WEBPAGE

This historical page is not up to date. Find the latest on COVID-19.

Very low risk of getting COVID-19 from food and packaging or treated drinking water

• The risk of getting COVID-19 from food you cook yourself or from handling and consuming food from restaurants and takeout or drive-thru meals is thought to be very low. Currently, there is no evidence that food is associated with spreading the virus that causes COVID-19.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I only take my mask off when I'm ordering but it goes right back on after so I have it on at the window.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I haven't done in the few instances I've been. It just always seemed unnecessary given that A. the interaction is about 15 seconds of open-window time between paying and handing food over and B. They're a good foot above me and to the side, not directly facing one another. C. There have generally been additional screens up.

I hadn't ever really givne it much thought, but understand the reasons people have given. It still seems minor to me given the protectiosn already in place.

Jul 1, 2020
Yes, I also order in advance using the app for that restaurant if one is available. Way easier than using the speaker.