• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you wear a mask at the drive through?

• Yes

Votes: 1,080 83.5%
  • No

Votes: 235 18.2%

• Total voters

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I try and put one on when I am interacting with anyone.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Yes. I noticed a local McDonald's has a sign requesting people have masks on in the drive through. Masks are so easy to use that I see no reason not to just put it on briefly when at the drive through window.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I don't bother when I'm placing the order at the little speaker box, but I'll have it on by the time I get to the window. As others have said, it's just being courteous and respectful to the workers. Every little bit helps, and it's better for both them and me.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
You should 100% be wearing a mask during any human interaction outside your home unless you're at, like, the dentist in their chair. And if you're at home it should be ok for greeting delivery drivers.

hinryu

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I do now. Most drive thrus in my area have signs that says you must mask up as a precaution. I went to a Starbucks drive thru a couple of months ago and I forgot to put on a mask, the worker asked me to put on my mask before they hand me my drink. That was super embarrassing for me so I always mask up now.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at the poll results. Thought I was the one being weird by putting it on before ordering (mainly because my lizard brain is like "randos have been spittling towards the intercom for hours before I got here... lemme not risk inhaling some droplets.")

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Yes every time. Same for curbside. Even if the interactions are less than 30 seconds there's no reason not to.

I never see anyone else around here do it though. Mask usage is pretty good in stores. Well I can't say that for sure cause I never go in but in parking lots everyone I see at least has them on going in.

Side anecdote, was in a drive thru yesterday getting coffee and the truck in front me me dumped out their McDonald's cup then threw it out like a hook shot to the roof of their truck I assumed they were trying to get it to land in their bed but as soon as they rolled forward it rolled off in plain view of them. They made no effort to pick it up. I haven't seen anyone litter in probably 20 years (yes I know people do because there's trash everywhere). Not a surprise that this asshat wasn't wearing a mask at the window.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Of course, for curbside too. I usually have it on around the speaker too, just to avoid any possible droplets hanging around from everyone stopping to talk there. No reason not to. Like, if I forgot my mask and got to a place, I would leave and go get it and then come back sooner than I'd go through without one. I then sanitize my hands after paying and touching the food that is handed to me. I don't go through a lot of drive thrus right now though.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Of course!. The people at the window do, so why wouldn't I? I don't get the big deal some people have with wearing a mask. It's like they find moments that they feel they can justify not wearing one and then dig in defiantly lol.

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
I don't put it on when I drive so I don't put it on when I'm at a drive through.
People saying yes also put their mask on while walking outdoors and someone walks past them?

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes, and only because I forget when my only objective is to go get food and don't plan on getting out.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I don't put it on when I drive so I don't put it on when I'm at a drive through.
People saying yes also put their mask on while walking outdoors and someone walks past them?

I mean, ya. If I'm walking around my neighborhood, I generally just wear my mask so I don't have to worry about it every time someone walks near me, and I actively work to avoid being near people regardless. If there's literally NOBODY around I may pull it down, but I'll pull it right back up if I see someone coming.

You obviously don't have to when you're driving around (I do sometimes, but only if I'm going multiple places. I don't want to touch my face any more than necessary so if I'm going more than one place I just leave it on between) but it certainly isn't hard to put it on when going up to the window. That person you are interacting with at the window interacts with hundreds of people a day, their risk is off the charts. By not wearing a mask, you're actively putting them at additional risk and putting yourself at a higher risk as well.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's super easy to do and adds additional protection to others and myself so why not?

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been to a drive-thru so I haven't, but I would. Why on earth would anyone not? Wear a mask when you interact with people, it's that simple. I keep a spare mask in my car so there's literally no reason I can even use forgetting it as an excuse.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
This is the first I have heard of this. I rarely see anyone walking outdoors with a mask unless they are going into a store.

Never seen anyone put on a mask behind me at a drive thru but I guess now I will because never knew it was a thing.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
This is the first I have heard of this. I rarely see anyone walking outdoors with a mask unless they are going into a store.

Never seen anyone put on a mask behind me at a drive thru but I guess now I will because never knew it was a thing.
If you're not seeing people mask up outdoors or at drive throughs then it's possible you live in a conservative area with a lot of assholes.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
You are absolutely a bad person if you don't use a mask at the drive through... you are literally getting within arms length of someone to grab your food, the virus doesn't care that you're in a vehicle.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017

If I'm at the park letting the kids ride their bikes and walking the dog I always do. If I'm just walking around my neighborhood I don't. There's no sidewalks so if anyone else is near by, which is a rarity, there's at least two car lengths worth of space for you to keep a safe distance.