• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And if yes, did you liked it?

I watch many because of this and for the most part I love/like them, they are classics for a reason. Godfather trilogy (especially 1 and 2), The Elephant Man, Casablanca, 12 Angry Men, The 400 Blows, The Seventh Seal...

Two I didn't hated, but also didn't loved were Akira and 8½, but I was a teenager so maybe it'll change in a rewatch.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I don't have time for that, movies aren't that big part of my life to begin with.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
When I was young and into movies, absolutely. Some really didn't click for me the first time, but watching them some years later made all the difference. I remember not really liking Blue Velvet when I was 15 or so, but now I think it's a masterpiece. Same with Susperia.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Yeah, sometimes.

I bought the Before trilogy because people wouldn't shut up about it in every "favourite trilogy" poll even though I hate romance films and feeling joy. And it's now annoyingly one of my favourite trilogies and Before Sunset has the best ending to any film I've seen. Never would have tried them if it was so highly recommended.

I also bought the Ingmar Bergman and Wong Kar Wai collections because they were highly acclaimed. I've only watched one Bergman film so far (enjoyed it) but every WKW film is brilliant.

There are some very obvious ones I haven't seen though. Casablanca might be top of the list. The problem is I expect to hate or at least be indifferent to a lot of classics, and even though I'm proven wrong time and time again, I have to be in the right mood to watch them. Might bump Casablanca up to my watch sometime soon list though.

abdizzle

Jun 12, 2021
Definitely. I'll usually check out a synopsis beforehand just to see if the premise sounds interesting, but even if it doesn't, I'll likely to give it a shot. They're classics for a reason right? Usually turns out to be a good time for me.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
All the time. I want to see every highly-regarded movie, most of them are beloved for a reason. Gimme all of them; any era, any language.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
when I was younger I tried to watch as many of the imdb top 50 as possible. not that these are unknown niche movies, but it did nudge me to check out things like the godfather and shawshank. now I just don't have the time to sit around and watch 4 movies in an afternoon because class is canceled or something lol

I had to watch 12 angry men in school. I hated it. I would probably love it if I rewatched now though

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. In fact the more people tell me I need to see/read/watch/play something the more tired of hearing it I get and start to avoid said thing.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I've watched many films because of their reputation, yes. I'm generally glad I did and can't remember too many I really didn't like.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
no, if it looks boring af im not going to bother.

I watch films to be entertained and wowed, no other reason. Frankly 99% of the stuff before the 80s i wouldn't touch.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Hell no. In fact the more people tell me I need to see/read/watch/play something the more tired of hearing it I get and start to avoid said thing.

I grew up with my grandma and we always watched tons of classics without any pressure, this probably helped to make me interested in those movies

If someone was making me I would probably hate them

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with my grandma and we always watched tons of classics without any pressure, this probably helped to make me interested in those movies

If someone was making me I would probably hate them

Totally. My wife loves musicals and has gotten me more into them the same way your grandma did.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Oh totally. Last year I watched "My Fair Lady" since its so iconic and I just...could not stand it.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Often, yes. But there are still dozens I haven't got around to, and I don't look down upon people who are disinterested in classic film.

I had very little exposure to Bergman's films before the big box set came out, but I bought it, and although I'm still only about halfway through it, I have thoroughly enjoyed all the films I've watched except one.

I have yet to see Casablanca.

I know the classic film 'energy' for lack of a better word is much different than what gets made today, so it can be a barrier of entry for some folks. But, yeah, they're classics for a reason. All of the noted films in this thread are great, but 12 Angry Men is amazing IMO. One of the best ever.

But honestly, even if someone doesn't have time to watch every classic film, there's two fantastic (dare I say, perfect) documentary series that cover a huge gamut of this stuff to get your feet wet; Women Make Film and The Story of Film: An Odyssey. Both are multi-part multi-hour endeavors, but if you take notes of which films interest you along the way, you'll be off to a good start for exploring classic cinema. Note that the narration of both these series is a bit dry... but I personally love it.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I haven't really watched many movies at all because I'm just not a movie person at all.

However, about a year ago I did watch Alien for the first time. I was a bit bummed that there wasn't as much action as I expected, but it also looked pretty amazing and rather modern in many aspects, despite it being from 1979.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I guess this was why my friends and I watched blade runner in high school. Liked it well enough.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I had very little exposure to Bergman's films before the big box set came out, but I bought it, and although I'm still only about halfway through it, I have thoroughly enjoyed all the films I've watched except one.
Which one, out of interest? I'm not a big Bergman guy (I generally prefer Bergman imitations to the real thing lol).

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch many movies at all. I have never seen the ones OP listed. I watch moves I like I will like, not because they are "classic" or "good" according to other people.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
In my late teens and early twenties I would go to the video store and rent like 20 movies at a time. I would try to watch everything in a genre, like I would go on a western run and need to watch all the classic westerns.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I spent 2016 with the goal to watch the complete IMDB top 250, so yeah.

Some absolute gems, some absolute stinkers and some I might need to give a rewatch.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It's a combination of acclaim and personal interest to me. So acclaimed sci-fi, action/adventure, mob/crime movies will catch my eye when I'm browsing for something to watch. I never put on random trash though because when I watch something it's like a lights off, sole focus thing. For me there has to be some sort of acclaim behind it for me to even consider it. And I have a sort of internal list of important movies to watch too. Like Alien or The Godfather but those already line up with my interests.

But honestly, even if someone doesn't have time to watch every classic film, there's two fantastic (dare I say, perfect) documentary series that cover a huge gamut of this stuff to get your feet wet; Women Make Film and The Story of Film: An Odyssey. Both are multi-part multi-hour endeavors, but if you take notes of which films interest you along the way, you'll be off to a good start for exploring classic cinema. Note that the narration of both these series is a bit dry... but I personally love it.

I also do something similar. When Every Frame a Painting was still going, I would just make a mental note of the films mentioned that piqued my interest. Now I do the same with like the One Perfect Shot twitter. Sometimes it's just a reminder that a classic exists too. Like man I should really watch Terminator 2. I should probably keep an actual list somewhere lol.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Yes. It's essential for my studies and mental health. It's nice to know that people can produce some incredible images that transcend time. Some famous films, even though I don't personally love them, I tried my best to understand why they earned their reputation in history.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I had to watch 12 angry men in school. I hated it. I would probably love it if I rewatched now though

One of my favorite movies, but don't think school children would appreciate it lol

I love The Story of Film: An Odyssey, will watch Women Make Film. Thanks!

I also do something similar. When Every Frame a Painting was still going, I would just make a mental note of the films mentioned that piqued my interest. Now I do the same with like the One Perfect Shot twitter. Sometimes it's just a reminder that a classic exists too. Like man I should really watch Terminator 2. I should probably keep an actual list somewhere lol.

Letterboxd is great for that, and it has some great lists (like every single film featured in the documentaries mentioned above)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. I'll rarely watch a movie "just" because it's essential, if I'm not otherwise interested. But if a movie sounds interesting, and it's in some sort of eternal film canon, that definitely moves it up my list. Like, I've been meaning to get around to Raging Bull forever; I like boxing movies, I like Scorsese, I'm sure I'll love it. But I doubt I'll ever specifically set out to watch, like, The Shawshank Redemption... I'm sure it's great, it just doesn't grab me. If someone else wanted to watch it, I'd probably like it.

I saw Die Hard for the first time a few months ago for that exact reason - people wanted to put something on, I hadn't ever gotten around to it. It was pretty good.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Which one, out of interest? I'm not a big Bergman guy (I generally prefer Bergman imitations to the real thing lol).
Had to look it up since I couldn't remember!
It was All These Women. My note at the time of watching it was that it was just too silly for Bergman. It didn't work at all. It was also right before I watched Persona for the first time, and that film was something else compared to his previous filmography. Excellent, though. But All These Women... not so much.
Letterboxd is a good way to keep track of what you want to watch. Just don't overload yourself with a massive list, or you'll never get to it. I try to be more casual with when I sit down for a classic. If I try to 'schedule it in' it's just not going to be a good time. But if I watch it out of the blue, they seem to hold my attention better. I'm weird that way. lol

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
No, i watch movies because they look good.

Sometimes is those considered essential, sometimes is weird shit like Hudson Hawk

Jul 4, 2019
Often it's yes or else I would have skipped over some of my favourite films. A lot of what's deemed "Essential" has a reason for it. Though I won't force myself through something if I'm not clicking with it.

I went through Wong Kar-wai's filmography a couple of years ago after all the praise, and found all the acclaim to be justified. Don't want to miss out on something that great.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I can't predict if I'll like a movie based on the concept and trailer alone, and I don't know how other people can. Critical or popular acclaim over time are much more accurate indicators for me, although they sometimes misfire.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried this so many times and have been burnt out.

I tried watching drive my car recently and wow, it was incredibly boring for me. I need to go back to watching trailers.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I have done — I watched the whole IMDB top 250 when I was in my peak teenage wannabe film buff stage. Less so now, but I'll still watch stuff that wouldn't normally pique my interest because I hear a recommendation or read a retrospective on its influence.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
There are lots of movies I've watched solely because they were considered classics. Some I loved, like Dr. Strangelove, and some I've hated, like The Godfather.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
And if yes, did you liked it?

I watch many because of this and for the most part I love/like them, they are classics for a reason. Godfather trilogy (especially 1 and 2), The Elephant Man, Casablanca, 12 Angry Men, The 400 Blows, The Seventh Seal...

Two I didn't hated, but also didn't loved were Akira and 8½, but I was a teenager so maybe it'll change in a rewatch.

No I do not. I havent seen any of the movie you listed.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. I've watched tons of movies due to their reputation or historical importance. Many of them were really good. I think trying out different types of movies really helps refine your own tastes. Though I will admit that I often put off watching new movies, because I find new movie hype often clouds people's judgement of the quality of a film. Better to wait a while and go in with more realistic expectations.

Oct 30, 2017
i mean, yeah?

even if you don't like them they're worth having an opinion on. other people liked them for good reasons.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care about whatever pedestal a movie is placed on. I'll watch something if it looks appealing to me. I don't need to waste time just because other people seem to think a thing is a classic.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch many movies at all. I have never seen the ones OP listed. I watch moves I like I will like, not because they are "classic" or "good" according to other people.

Serious question. How do you know if a movie is something you will like?

There's been many times where I watched a movie I didn't think I'd like, and ended up loving it. 12 Angry Men is a great example of this. Oh, a boring black and white court drama mostly shot in a single room? Lame. Yet 15 minutes in and I was on the edge of my seat.

Sure being considered an "important" film doesn't necessarily mean I'll enjoy something, but it feels like as good an indicator as anything else.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. why not? I like good movies. If something is widely regarded as being good, I'll check it out. I don't pre judge movies based on stuff like genre.

Having said that my essential watching has slowed down since Netflix was created. It was so much easier to watch a classic movie when it was the only thing available to watch on TV.

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried some and just could not understand their appeal, while other movies I really enjoyed. Godfather was solid, but Gone with the Wind was an absolute snooze, for instance. But I don't generally go out of my way to watch something just because it's a "classic".

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I haven't enjoyed all of them, but if the movie is made available to me, yes. I'll give all things a chance. I wont put my head in the sand and ignore them just because. I'll give them a shot.

I may watch a little bit at a time. Or I may quit watching at some point if it doesn't click. But I will watch anything and everything to try it.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I specifically avoided seeing Forrest Gump and Titanic for a long time simply because everyone said I had to. I did eventually see both, but years later. Titanic was OK, mostly due to the effects and sets, not plot or characters. I actively dislike Gump.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
I work in film and video production so, yes. However, I've always had a love of film and as a kid / teen there were plenty of films I watched because I had heard the name.

I will also say and I'm sure this thread will prove it, film literacy is not what once was. Due to the sheer amount of options that are always at a persons finger tips and the way media is consumed many of the classics will be lost on younger generations. An example I like to use is one of my favorite films is The Maltese Falcon. I saw that at maybe age 12. And the only reason I saw it was because there was nothing else on television and that particular tv (the video game tv) didn't have cable.