• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wash stuff before use?

• Yes

Votes: 228 69.5%
  • No

Votes: 88 26.8%
  • Never heard of it

Votes: 12 3.7%

• Total voters

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
So we bought a new sheet for the bed the other day and now when we were going to bed my s/o asked me if I had washed it before I put it on the bed. I told her, naturally, that we just bought it. She asked me if I was insane and if I wash things before use. I've never heard of this before. I countered by asking her if she washes newly bought clothes before using them, to which she asked me if I was being serious. Because apparently that's something that everyone does? I told her that if we ask my friends 100% will tell her that she is crazy, but I thought I'd start with resetera. I feel like I'm Nick from New Girl with the whole towel situation. So, here's a poll.

OP
OP
kortvarsel

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
I mean, I get the idea, but I have never ever been told to do it or even reflected on it. I was happy in my bubble. Now I have to think about what people have done to my new stuff before I bought it.

I'm turning 30 in four days.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I usually do, especially if it's dark so there's less risk of staining.

seki

Oct 30, 2017
You absolutely should. Many retail sold fabrics are processed and sprayed with chemicals like formaldehyde for a variety of reasons, such as pest control, presentation, and preservation during transport.

Seriously. Unless it's an emergency like you shit your pants in public, wash stuff before you wear it/use it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. You don't know where it's been or who has touched it before you got it. The creation process might have left residues and stuff on it too.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Do you know how many dirty, sweaty people tried on the clothes you bought?And you know there's gotta be some sick fuck who rubbed that shirt you're wearing all over his balls.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
My mom told me at a young age to wash clothing before use after buying them, but I honestly never did and then Covid happened so I wash everything now lol.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Of course, the factory/chemical treatment smell is just too off putting. Not to mention the ones without much packaging, wash yo fabrics bro.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
bedding, not really
jeans yes, i dont want my legs to be dyed blue
dress clothes, no since i usually buy these the day before i need them.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no such thing as "new" clothes. This stuff is covered with chemicals, bacteria, insect shit, you name it. Not to mention other people's sweat and dead skin if you bought it in a store where hundreds of people have tried it before you. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's clean.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I was in the exact same spot as you when my gf and I moved in together, OP lol. I had never done this before and she thought I was crazy.

Axis

Dec 9, 2017
Of course.

As others have said, clothing and bedding have all kinds of chemicals on them so they should be washed before first use.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
No. It's new. It's fine.

Like... I get why someone might choose to do so, but I don't feel compelled to at all.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
The things people will act incredulous about

like surely the concept's occurred to you? Have you never thought "oh this shirt I got off the rack at Kohl's or whatever... all sorts of people have been touching it, trying it on. Should I wash it? Would it be expected of people to wash it before using it?" Has none of that entered your mind long enough to make you not think your wife's crazy for floating the same concept?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The single exception I make is socks, if they come packaged in a sealed bag.

Otherwise, yeah, I ain't putting that shit on until it's washed.

How is it 🆕 ?

Unless you literally weaved your own fabric it's been sitting in warehouses, stores, ships for months.

This, plus potentially tried on by others.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Always clean new clothes or bedding material.

You never know who touched it or w/e - best to be safe than sorry.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever been to the factories where these items are made? The stuff is not clean when you buy it.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes to all above. Especially bedding, that gross ass plastic smell if it comes in the zipper plastic packaging is revolting.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. There's a "factory funk" all fabric shit has you most likely want out. Never mind all the greasy hands it had passed through. Do you not wash new plates you buy?

anyway, apologize to your gf lol