• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think the mainline Zelda games should let you customize a protagonist?

• Yes

Votes: 125 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 418 52.6%
  • No, but they should let other characters be playable besides Link

Votes: 237 29.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 1.9%

• Total voters

mazpratim

Oct 27, 2017
Since Link is basically a self insert character anyway, do you want Zelda games to let you create your own character? I could see the argument against it since Link is a pretty iconic design after all.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
No but continue to add more fashion options. I want my Link to continue to look more stylish or fabulous. I never even put the blue tunic on in BOTW there was better stuff to wear.

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is all about reincarnation with its two main characters, so I see no reason why Link shouldn't be customizable. Even a fairly limited Splatoon-esque character creator would be fine.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for the possibility to play different characters (like Luigi or Wario in the marioverse) but I prefer Link as a pre-defined hero.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like create a character done badly is a detriment to the game. I'd rather have Link be playable alongside other established characters rather than having a customisable link. I'd love to play as Zelda or Impa more than play a customised link.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No, they should give Link a voice too. Hated how the cutscene dialog would just act like he'd respond in BoTW.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
No

Link's look is like the one defined character trait he has left from being a blank slate avatar. And I HATE that trend.

Create actual new characters to play as

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if i were in charge of the next zelda i'd go with a character creator and have the "lore" deal with how you -- whoever you are -- are taking up the triforce of courage. add some flourishes with the green tunic or whatever to drive the point home.

that way everybody's happy. but i also respect nintendo's (seeming) stance Link is just some elfish looking white dude and that's that, don't like it tough shit

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
What if you could equip Zelda's head on Link?
YUYXAva.png

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I love character customization.

But honestly I don't think the games should star anyone other than Link, Zelda or Ganondorf and I don't think they should be customized (hell, I was somewhat disappointed when they made link right handed).

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Voted 'no', but since Link doesn't have the green tunic or is a lefty anymore, Nintendo might as well do it if they feel like it since there's barely anything left of the character anymore.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Other playable characters yep, lots of other costumes yep, but I don't think the series would be much improved with a character creator unless they thematically tied it into the story.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
No, Link is Link. You might change the hair style etc, but I don't think you should be able to change the body's features.

Which isn't to say Link couldn't be a girl or of color. When you are being reincarnated hundreds of times, you are bound to look different from time to time, after all.

But as soon as you build in a character creator you'd run in danger of practically getting rid of Link and that's not the fate a hero deserves after 30 years.

Playable Zelda would be cool, I also like the idea of a game where you can switch between Link and Zelda on the fly.

Nov 2, 2017
I've never considered Link a genuine self insert, and I'm not really fond of the idea of altering him.

Each Link is his own person.

(Also let him talk goddammit)

But I definitely want other playable characters. Gimme a playable Ganondorf reincarnation. And/or Zelda and/or Sheik

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I like that the different Links feel distinct from one another so, no, I don't want the protagonist to be customisable (beyond lots of costumes and armour, of course). I also don't really see the point in playing as other characters - I'd rather play as a singular, designed "Link" at any point in the series than a side character.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Link bearing the player's own name was one of the early design decisions they made as far back as the very first game, so it seems like a logical step forward

Jun 5, 2018
I would like to play as zelda and even ganon perhaps in a game designed with them in mInd but I don't think character customisation fits in zelda

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Sure! I think a character creator with the level of customization of a Splatoon game (gender, skin color, possibly hair) would be fine, though I don't need more than that

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Want isn't the word I'd use, because I'm not looking for Zelda to do it. But would I like it? Absolutely. Zelda is the perfect series for this. A silent protag that's a different incarnation every game. How can you argue against it aside from tradition?

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I don't think you should go into a character creator screen at the start of the game, but if they want you to be able to find more outfits in the world, find barbers in towns who will change your hair style, I think that's ok. Something sort of Witcher 3-esque, where Geralt is always Geralt, but you can do whatever with his clothes and hair in world.

Some of this is just my personal bias against character creators though, because I always find adjusting a face to be kind of a chore

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Give options to play as Link or Zelda. Give both a bunch of equippable looks. Give Link voice acting. But that's as far as I want it to go, I don't consider them blank player avatars and don't want them to become that.

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind if they added a character creator to create your own Link. They could still have a default look like Mass Effect does.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I'd be completely okay with customization for open world type games. Otherwise I rather just play as one of the main cast

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. I'm not a purist and I love character customization and personalizing them. I wouldn't even mind if they put it in Mario too tbh lol.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
No.
I have never viewed Link as a self-insert character. He shows personality traits in all of the 3D Zeldas. He isn't a self-insert block of wood like the Dragonborn for example.

I would like to see a playable Zelda, Linkle or Ganondorf tho

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Eh. I always want them to retain Link's fundamental look, but I'd love gender and skin options, alongside more flexible costumes and hair styles. I'm not familiar with Zelda lore, but is there any reason why Link has to always reincarnate as a white male?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Give options to play as Link or Zelda. Give both a bunch of equippable looks. Give Link voice acting. But that's as far as I want it to go, I don't consider them blank player avatars and don't want them to become that.

I think this is where I'm at. I have no issue with some series sticking with bespoke characters, but still giving a few to pick from.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

I wouldn't mind some ingame stuff like a barber to change hair styles on top of different outfits though.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, they should make him mute, I mean really mute.
I wouldn't be against that either. Just hate when it's done like they are actually having a conversation, but we just hear one side of it. If you wanna do a silent protagonist, write the dialog as such or give no voiced dialog options at least. Making them seemingly telepathic is always more immersion breaking than them being silent protags adds to the immersion for me.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Do I want it? No, not really. I wouldn't pitch a huge fit if it happened, though.

Boy, girl, black, white, nonhuman, whatever, I'm 100% on board for Link to be reincarnated as any and all of those, but I do think it should be a set character for the game, not a character creator.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
link sucks and has always sucked outside of the green tunic, botw link is no different

trying to make him a character without actually doing anything interesting with the writing is limp and boring

at least character customization gives us a chance to be a non-aryan dude

My biggest pet peeve with BotW link is that they took the actual moniker of what makes link identifiable(the tunic and hat) and instead made his identifier "Generic pretty white blond boy with elf ears and blue eyes"

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Nah. I'm happy just playing as Link. In BOTW you can already customise his look pretty well with armour, dye etc.

I'd much rather they spent resources on letting you customise/upgrade/reinforce weapons and armour. Anything to make weapon degradation a little less heavy handed.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Yes. I think BotW would've been an ideal time to do it, and now that there's a direct sequel we're stuck with the status quo for even longer unfortunately. I think the idea of having a playable Zelda is likely to lead to a one-off situation where it's a thing in one particular game and rarely or never again, and that isn't good enough.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
No personally, because i think Link looks cool
Yes in general, because i an a straight white male so i can't say what other people should have access to.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather the opposite probably. Move further away from the blank slate. Define the character with even more personality and even let them talk. Zeldas current trend is trying to do both and I don't think it works.

My dream scenario is that we really do get to play as both link and Zelda soon, and both of them talk and have clear traits.