• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you want a part 3 to the last of us?

• Ya baby give me more I love being miserably in this world

Votes: 547 60.8%
  • Na give me a break naughty dog and make something happy

Votes: 352 39.2%

• Total voters

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yup.

I wasn't sure i wanted a Part 2. But given the Part 2 we got, i DEFINITELY want a Part 3.

Gimme more of that beautiful violent misery.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
all new cast of characters and an entirely new location/continent for the third game would make me hyped.

hell, I would even take an outbreak day storyline.

qtamir1

Oct 28, 2017
i wouldn't want a part 3 as their next game after part 2, people need to spend some time fully acknowledging what happened in part 2.
after nd would create a new ip, i would love them to make a part 3.

My take of what a part 3 would be about:

- Central Themes: Redemption, Unity, and Responsibility.
- Ellie would decide after seeing a horde of the various zombies destroy jackson, and basically killing everyone in the town, that she can be the only solution to the virus, therefore she goes on a journey to the fireflies so they can get the cure, thus sacrificing herself.
- Along the way she will come across people from other factions and tell them her plans, and convincing them to join her to help her get to their destination and pretty much save the world. It could be really huge if ellie would become a group leader and take responsibility on others. and who knows, maybe we can even have abby and lev join her, thus giving abby closure on finishing what her father tried to do...
- The twist in the story would be when the group reaches fireflies everything would seem okay, and just before ellie would go prep for the surgery, she would hear the leader of the fireflies outpost (or maybe the leader of the entire organization at that moment) saying he's planning to just get the cure for the fireflies and not spread it, so they can pretty much survive and throw everyone else to die.
- When ellie hears it, she takes the choice to not make the sacrifice, because she understands that humans have their own agenda at the end of the day. that's when it becomes all out war of ellie and her group to the fireflies. i don't know yet to what end, but that's what i've got so far...

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sure but tell a new story with new characters. And revamp the gameplay - I can't take another 30h of the same stealthing.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I would not want another one. but I would not want them to suddenly do happy games per say. ND is pretty great at telling serious stories, I would like to see a different IP from them. and no, not savage starlight lol, its def not an actual thing.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Absolutely. Ellie needs to find purpose and something to live for and overcome her survivors guilt and traumas. Cure plotline would be the dumbest and most boring thing imaginable and just an all around terrible message.

Ellie has spent two games with immense survivors guilt and trauma after what happened with her and Riley. And Joel's selfish act at the end of Part I stole from her what she believed was the only way to give her life/survival purpose and then the trauma of his gruesome death right when she found the willpower to forgive him for that betrayal nearly destroyed her in the attempt to avenge him. A third game just being like "welp those 6+ years were all a waste of everyone's time and Ellie's only role and purpose in life is to die for humanity. No way she can possibly find solace and purpose and live in relative peace, nope, only respite she'll obtain is through death. Traumas a bitch, life is nothing but paint and suffering, but then you die and it doesn't matter anymore. Hooray." It's beyond shallow and problematic and just about the most hack way to end her story.

Joel fucked everyone over, that choice he made needs to stick and carry weight. And both Ellie and humanity at large need to come to terms with the fact that the cordyceps virus is here to stay and there won't be some miracle that will save them from it. They have to save themselves. Either they find a way to survive and endure in this new world, together, or they will slowly die to each other and to the disease.

jungomitis

Apr 8, 2020
I want a Part 3 more than I wanted a Part 2
The world is interesting to me. I don't think Part 3 has to be about Ellie, although it likely will be.
Uncharted tells me... maybe there will be four parts! The 4th introducing a relative that we never knew existed! /jk

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Everyone's talking about the story in here, but we're ignoring an important part of the game: the gameplay situations. Just what else could be done with these systems without veering too far from this series' tone? TLOU II had so much damn variety in its encounter and level design; I kind of can't imagine what a sequel could add to this without going full-on hardcore action. Just what more could they do that these games haven't already done?

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but new IP first. Then conclude Ellie's story.
But before all that, I want Abby DLC (After the endgame)

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Just what else could be done with these systems without veering too far from this series' tone? TLOU II had so much damn variety in its encounter and level design; I kind of can't imagine what a sequel could add to this without going full-on hardcore action. Just what more could they do that these games haven't already done?

But its so good why would you need to do "more"? The encounters are a ton of fun. Just more of the same would be great. New environments, level design, weapons, enemy mixes etc in the current system would be fine.

You could do a lot more with the current tone in the sequel. Newer AI routines- you can have more trained enemies/military type enemies like FEAR and Half-Life. Using grenades etc to flush ellie out. The dogs are already kind of doing that. You can have more aggressive zombies. Different types with different behaviours.

The game play is the least difficult area to build on.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Ellie needs to find purpose and something to live for and overcome her survivors guilt and traumas. Cure plotline would be the dumbest and most boring thing imaginable and just an all around terrible message.

Ellie has spent two games with immense survivors guilt and trauma after what happened with her and Riley. And Joel's selfish act at the end of Part I stole from her what she believed was the only way to give her life/survival purpose and then the trauma of his gruesome death right when she found the willpower to forgive him for that betrayal nearly destroyed her in the attempt to avenge him. A third game just being like "welp those 6+ years were all a waste of everyone's time and Ellie's only role and purpose in life is to die for humanity. No way she can possibly find solace and purpose and live in relative peace, nope, only respite she'll obtain is through death. Traumas a bitch, life is nothing but paint and suffering, but then you die and it doesn't matter anymore. Hooray." It's beyond shallow and problematic and just about the most hack way to end her story.

Joel fucked everyone over, that choice he made needs to stick and carry weight. And both Ellie and humanity at large need to come to terms with the fact that the cordyceps virus is here to stay and there won't be some miracle that will save them from it. They have to save themselves. Either they find a way to survive and endure in this new world, together, or they will slowly die to each other and to the disease.
Yep, totally.

I think one of the tricky parts is that Ellie's journey to finding meaning *also* can't just be about protecting someone else, because that'd too easily mirror Abby's own plot and journey (and Joel's). I think if there's going to be a part 3 it has to have something new to offer beyond those things.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, totally.

I think one of the tricky parts is that Ellie's journey to finding meaning *also* can't just be about protecting someone else, because that'd too easily mirror Abby's own plot and journey (and Joel's). I think if there's going to be a part 3 it has to have something new to offer beyond those things.
She can try using her immunity in bigger ways than just getting out of some situations. Not sure what it would be, and it wouldn't be the whole story, but at least the setup.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
nah unless it ends all happy happy then I rather have more uncharted games (i binged that whole collection over a couple of days...)

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think there's HUGE potential to tell a story about healing and moving on from severe trauma after Part II. I think Abby's story is complete but having a similar plot structure with a larger focus on Dina could be one potential way of exploring that story.

I do think it should remain Ellie's story primarily but they'll need to move away from her insanely violent tendencies if they want to genuinely sell a narrative about moving on from trauma and pain.

I don't know what that type of narrative would look like but I think it will be very creatively challenging to have a combat focused game sell a story about peace and moving on.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As usual ERA is crazy. TLoU franchise is massive and is just getting started. There will be a sequel 100%.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
As usual ERA is crazy. TLoU franchise is massive and is just getting started. There will be a sequel 100%.

Its colossal and I feel its just getting started.

They could do spin offs like Uncharted lost legacy. Maybe abby/lev will be spun off into something.

People love the gameplay and the world.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I would, centered around Abbey and finding the fireflies (which she supposedly has I suppose) and the events surrounding that.
Potentially finding Ellie after a long while because they want to take a crack at the cure again after their own events happen, they can even do the whole dual story thing again if they wanted.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yep, totally.

100%. It's all too common a trope as is, and while done very well in TLoU Part 1 and used quite well again in Part II to help provide parallels between Joel and Abby and create some empathy towards her it wouldn't be great if the series can only provide solace and purpose in a character's life through some child ward. 1 times great, 2 times is a smart subversion, 3 times show a lack of creativity and ability to convey growth and meaning beyond this one trick.

To me the ideal situation, that I can think of right now, would be for Ellie to find a community/cause that she cares about. Not just any single person, but a whole group of people that she comes to rely on and that in turn rely on her. These kinds of post apocalypse stories are always ultimately about humanity and what makes us human. First two games were about very specific individual relationships. It would be interesting to spend a large part of the game not just having one single relationship that develops, but many and with both younger and older people, so that we make a connection with not just one person but an entire community.

Her immunity could potentially be a useful tool, but being able to breath in spores and not worry about bites isn't exactly a super power all things considered with how dangerous clickers and the like are beyond the virus and Ellie isn't any stronger or resilient to bodily harm than non-immune people. Again, personally, I'd like to see something like a community or group that are actively pushing back against the virus and proactively reclaiming the world. We don't know a ton about Jackson but it seems more about creating a holdout, but not exactly about expanding and reclaiming the world that was lost. Just creating a small safe-zone they can survive in. A group that's actively fighting back against the virus, not just trying to hold out against it, and rebuild the world despite no cure or safeguard might be an interesting concept and mission for Ellie. To see people can and are facing down the threat of the virus.

All I know is I don't want there to be a cure or final sacrifice, I don't want some child companion again for Ellie to find meaning in, and I don't want Abby & Lev or the Fireflies to return(I like them but for them to meet up again and develop any kind of relationship after what they did to one another would feel beyond stupid and contrived). Though I would be totally on board with a short Lost Legacy type game solely focused on Abby, Lev and the Fireflies, but only as a standalone story with nothing to do with Ellie. They too need to move on and find a new purpose in life as individuals and an organization. It's a big world, don't make everything feel so small by forcing these same people together.

benji2361

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I demand that Naughty Dog closes their studio. I can't believe people are even considering the idea of a third game at this point. How do their employees have enough time to breathe let alone create another game?

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
It's a hard no from me, I'm a massive TLOU fan and I thought TLOU2 was even better, but the heart of the story is gone. It's like doing a Rocky sequel without Rocky, wouldn't work.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
You missed a third option.

Make part 3 and finally give Ellie a happy ending. Best of both worlds.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
I think a Part 3 at the end of PS5's life cycle would be nice.

I do hope that ND works on a new thing between then though.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
The TLOU3 could also have Joel, he lived through 20 years of the outbreak before he met Ellie. I would love a new game with Jess, Marlene and Tommy alongside Joel.
I'd be all for a prequel, I believe Joel was always the beating heart of this franchise. The story was about Ellie but all the emotion came from Joel, that final scene with the two of them in TLOU2 was heartbreaking, it's a shame that relationship is gone now.