• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you want your game controller to have a screen?

• Yes I would like to see a screen in my controller

Votes: 160 15.2%
  • No I would not like to see a screen in my controller

Votes: 703 66.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 191 18.1%

• Total voters

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If by screen you mean something like a VMU instead of a touchpad sure but i don't want a full blown wii-u style screen, i would rather just have them make switch type consoles.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
No, the negatives by far outweigh the positives.

For it to be usable as a remote gaming device it'd need to be pretty big, thus costly and would drain the battery.

The rare creative uses of that screen would be counted on one hand.

A little screen would be pretty much useless and would distract more than anything else.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the WiiU was neat, but I mostly didn't enjoy the tacked on 2nd screen functionality.
The map/item menu implementations are great, but hardly neccessary, and the forced gameplay implementations (Star Fox Zero) were often annoying.

So no.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems inevitable, even if it's a super low quality screen, makes total sense. You have regular buttons for muscle memory, and the screen for other stuff like invoking chat, map, inventory management maybe.

DS4 kinda already SLIGHTLY has it, it's, a "touchscreen", screen sized, without the actual screen, haha. So you end up jabbing random parts of the touchpad to find the assigned location you are looking for! I still don't know how to chat in rocket league, i jab that touchpad and it saves game replays and other shit I don't want, and eventually it brings me up the thing where i can type 'gg'.

Maybe if you could clip it off and on, you could replace controllers without paying for the screen part every time.

Do this Sony, make the PS4 a better high quality living room appliance. Don't go chasing the Switch's niche or something..ugh.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I do play almost exclusively on portables, and portables are essentially a combination of screen and controller... But no, not on consoles or PC. When I'm using a TV or monitor, I'm holding my controller far too low relative to my line of sight, so it'd only be an inconvenience.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
As much as I enjoyed ZombiU, after Star Fox Zero I'm all set. If they want to do something fun like the RDR2 map on my phone, then sure. Otherwise I'm good.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm all for controller innovation but I'm not sure about the screen.

Could be nice for map or inventory I guess.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
No, my eyes are on the TV or in a VR headset. I never look at my controller. FFS and I don't need even less battery life, because of some uncalled for "innovation".

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, would rather have everything on a single screen. Make the menus quick and snappy, and it's hardly a nuisance. Looking down is worse. Plus, it would negatively impact price and battery life.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I loved the second screen on wii u. Lego city undercover rocks!

Games like ass creed where the map and inventory were moved off screen and accessible quicker were much improved.

It was a shame the controller was paired with an underpowered console, but the idea itself was decent.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
WiiU proved to me that a second screen is not only good but preferable. I actually reached a point where I would instinctively look down at the controller for map or inventory when playing non-wiiU games. I eventually broke myself of that but I still think it's more than just a novelty and legitimately enhances the gameplay experience. Also makes typing an order of magnitude better than the default solutions used by any current controller based interface.

I especially loved the more creative uses for it like where Tokyo Mirage Session used it to have text conversations with characters completely independently of whatever you were doing on the top screen and at your own leisure. You could get a text in the store, run across to meet up with another character and then respond to the text message on your gamepad at any point during that without interrupting gameplay. Made it that much more immersive.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Only this one

s-l300.jpg
I still love it. Beating someone at Virtua tennis only using that screen was the best taunt ever. Portable mini game like the skies of arcadia one were fun to have too.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. A very, very simple yes. First an improved wiimote setup didn't become the standard. Then an improved Wii U gamepad didn't become the standard. You people all suck. Switch handheld console hybrid aint gonna become the industry standard either. Everything good Nintendo does never catches on.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
If I am cozy, playing under a blanket, I dont want to take my arms off to look at a controller.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, OK how about the screen mostly allowing you to access OS level controls, social media, chat, music... All that sort of jazz? So you want to change songs in Spotify? It's on the screen. Chat controls, they're on the screen. Do a quick edit of a photo or video you just captured with the share button and upload to social media... That sort of stuff.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, OK how about the screen mostly allowing you to access OS level controls, social media, chat, music... All that sort of jazz? So you want to change songs in Spotify? It's on the screen. Chat controls, they're on the screen. Do a quick edit of a photo or video you just captured with the share button and upload to social media... That sort of stuff.
Some system-level media buttons wouldn't be a bad idea. Next song, Play/Pause, Stop, that kind of thing might be fine.

They don't need to be on a screen though, they can be buttons or touchpad gestures (and PS4 already has pretty quick access to these functions - the key media functions all have single-button shortcuts when you have the media tab open on the PS quick menu).

Social media, chat and image editing would be terrible on a tiny screen and a screen large enough to do them comfortably would have most of the problems that everyone has already mentioned throughout this topic (at least having a screen for those functions wouldn't affect gameplay, but would still add to the size and cost of a controller and reduce its battery life). Why would it be better to do any of these on a controller anyway? This is stuff that can be offloaded to a phone app (image editing is admittedly a little tricky to get working with an app since you need to get the image to the phone, but there's plenty of ways that could be solved).

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
My question would be, why not just bump this off to a companion app for iOS/Android? It's slightly less convenient but if you're just adding OS-level "quick controls", I don't think I'd want to pay for the screen on a controller. I'd rather just pick up my phone. Screen-having controllers only make sense if it actually adds some kind of value to games(or maybe if it was Wii U-like and allowed off-TV play). Otherwise the tradeoffs(in cost, weight, size, etc) arent worth it just so I can skip a song or upload a screenshot marginally easier.

Although obviously if I already had a controller with a screen those things would be natural additions to help justify it. I just think you need to sell the screen for gaming purposes and not just as a slightly more convenient input method for system functions to justify it's inclusion.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
My question would be, why not just bump this off to a companion app for iOS/Android? It's slightly less convenient but if you're just adding OS-level "quick controls", I don't think I'd want to pay for the screen on a controller. I'd rather just pick up my phone. Screen-having controllers only make sense if it actually adds some kind of value to games(or maybe if it was Wii U-like and allowed off-TV play). Otherwise the tradeoffs(in cost, weight, size, etc) arent worth it just so I can skip a song or upload a screenshot marginally easier.
I do have to wonder how much more a decent OLED screen costs to a manufacturer compared to something like the DS4's touchpad. Maybe a couple or few dollars more per unit? I don't think costs would go up significantly.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Maybe someday you'll work in an office and see for yourself 🤷‍♂️

Yes, people do that type of thing in an office. They do it because they have a physical piece of paper that they need to reference while working on their computer monitor. That doesn't mean it's optimal. You still haven't really put forth an arguement as to WHY that is a desirable thing to do when much better alternatives already exist in single-screen UI design; all you're doing is acknowledging that people are already used to doing that thing without evaluating its intrinsic worth.

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Have you ever looked at a computer monitor and a piece of paper at the same time? Do you hold the paper up to be adjacent to the monitor?

I'm not sure why you're being purposefully obtuse about this.
Whenever I have to do this, I tape the paper up next to the monitor if it's going to be referenced frequently. Either because I need to transcribe something, or I have something that needs constant referencing.

Or I'll copy it onto my computer for easier reference... or if it's just once, I'll look at it once and be done with it.

I don't want a screen in my controller.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not.

Rendering a second screen is a waste of resources. Plus, it would drive up hardware cost which would then be cut from important things like the CPU and GPU.

As someone said on the first page, a companion app would be good. Destiny had a PC app that let you modify your inventory and pull from storage without actually going there. Things like that work well, if not better than a second touch screen, and they don't have any ramifications for the hardware.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Unnecessary extra weight, and when i play, i'd rather keep watching my actual screen than look down at a controller screen.

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
I would be upset if the mandatory controller screen would be too small for off TV game play. Ideally, if there is a DualShock5 with a screen, it should be an optional controller since some of us invested in premium controllers in the prior generation.

I want off TV play since I mainly play video games in my bedroom and I want to put away a portable sized unit on the nightstand when I am done for the day.

Shame I missed out on the Dekavita7 because with a Dualshock3 to DualShock4 adapter, I can play Destiny with little lag and access the rear buttons. Sadly, I heard that the Dekavita7 controller was not intended for faster paced games.

I am annoyed that Bungie doesn't allow the mele and grenade buttons to be on the TouchPad for the Vita since some of us for custom cases made for remote play. Also, it is annoying that Sony doesn't allow two logins of the same username for remote play using a Ps4 controller attached to the system to prevent lag.

Why hasn't a popular third party made a cell phone sized Hdmi monitor made for gaming? I know about the photography market but I am worried about the lag.

It would not shock me much if the next generation of consoles would allow multiple screens for multi-player on the same system game play.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Nintendo had 5 (?) years to make games that took advantage of the Wii U and only came out with a handful of good ones. I'd say that if Nintendo couldn't come up with much reason to have it, nobody else will.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
No, because

1.it will increase costs (and controllers are already ridiculously expensive)
2. pose longevity/reliability issues
3. and (assuming its backlit) will be an annoying distraction.