• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you regularly use any voice assitants (Siri, Alexa, etc.)?

• Yes, on my phone

Votes: 47 19.9%
  • Yes, on a standalone device (smart speaker, etc.)

Votes: 73 30.9%
  • No, I don't use any voice assistants

Votes: 115 48.7%
  • I don't want to answer, but still want to feel included.

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I had Amazon Echo's, but moved on to Google Home, which IMHO is a better device. I have one in each central location of my home and we use them for recipes, playing stuff on Netflix and Plex. Seeing who's at the door with Nest, playing music on Spotify and YouTube and for random other things. Like trivia, asking for the time, weather.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I occasionally use Siri in the car to play a specific song but that's about it

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Never use it on my phone, but I use Google Home allot (have two of them). Timers and music all the time and sometimes use it to broadcast a message to another google home device like ring dinner bell.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I have both an Echo Dot and a Google Home Mini. The Google Home Mini gets a lot of use controlling the TV in the same room - I can verbally tell it what I want to watch, and I can tell it to turn the TV off when I'm done. I also end up using it a lot if I have a random question like when a restaurant is open and the like.

The Echo Dot basically only gets used to get a weather report when I'm deciding what to wear for the day.

Both are tied into my smart thermostat (ecobee 4, which is itself an Alexa smart speaker), and I can tell the smart speakers it's too hot or cold, but I don't use home integration features beyond that.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I have an Echo Dot that gets used almost exclusively for my bedroom lights, and I'll use Siri on my phone to read/send messages in the car and to queue up timers and stuff. The basics, pretty much.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I loved Cortana on my Xbox One, but my Kinect gave up and now I seldom summon her through the headset mic.

I also experimented a bit with Google Assistant on my phone, but I only use it on very specific scenarios (for example when driving and when taking a shower, both of which are relatively noisy activities and therefore reduce its efectiveness).

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
no. i wish i could uninstall the google app from my phone entirely. i get kinda pissed when i accidentally swipe the middle button and it pops up.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
On my Pixel 2 XL and on the Google Home Mini I got for buying it a couple of years ago.

About 95% of the use is to check the weather each day and set my alarm clock for work each day, which I do after I wake up and before I go to sleep, respectively. EDIT: oh yeah, I set cooking timers with it too.

I will sometimes use it in my car via Android Auto but that's relatively infrequent.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I have an Echo that I tell to play thunderstorm sounds when I go to bed. That's basically the only thing I use the voice function for.

I have never used Siri for anything; googling whatever it is I need to find is more efficient to me.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I use Google assistant mostly, on my phone, car and Home Mini. I use it for playing music, getting news, controlling things, reminders, alarms, timers, checking diary etc. I also use Alexa mainly for playing music in the kitchen. Siri is shite but I have an iPhone through work so do occasionally use it for reminders.

Oct 25, 2017
I used a voice assistant to make this post. I don't like texting or typing on Twitter or era using the phone keyboard so I just talk at my phone now instead. I sometimes use the voice recognition for my Nvidia Shield TV but voice recognition on my phone is where it's at.

Just a reminder if you do it like I do it it logs everything.

Go to your Google Account.
On the left navigation panel, click Data & personalization.
In the Activity controls panel, click Voice & Audio Activity.

If you want to see it or turn it off.

anFvw3a.jpg

Google keeps a voice clip and transcript that you can listen to of every single request you've made of Google assistant ever.

I use my phone keyboard less than ever and just talk at my phone after pressing the button on the right above the keyboard as seen here:

C4MgN07.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I do, have several Google Home products in the house, 3 displays, and 2 mini's, and have android auto in my car. Use it daily.

Use them to:
Switch Inputs on my TV
Control my Lights
Set Alarms
Change the temperature to my Nest
Recipes
Play Music
Cast Youtube

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use almost all of them. Alexa, Siri and Cortana - in smart home, PC and telephony - especially in the car. My car and phone are really well integrated and that's sorta why I picked that particular car - it's just Carplay (or Android if you have it) but the cabin noise, built in mics and speaker system make it a fantastic place to make and receive calls, so I sometimes schedule phone meetings for commute for that reason. Once or twice I've gone out to the car to make a call if it's while I'm home.

Carplay is very strict on functionality for distraction - my car can for example post and read Tweets, but that's not supported in Carplay, probably just as well I guess. But I briefly enjoyed tweeting ridiculous car observations while testing it. "Oh surprise, the Mercedes G-Wagon camping in the passing lane didn't signal before swerving illegally into the carpool lane"

At home it's mostly Alexa for music, radio, AV control, lighting, thermostat etc, but the kitchen is where it shines. Timers, recipes, proper alarms ("Remember to turn the oven down to 325 degrees") measurements, conversions, ingredient suggestions - I've never ordered supplies, but there's no reason I shouldn't. The fact that you can do all of this without touching anything -phone screens and cross contamination are a serious practical as well as safety issue - and so I can reduce even hand-washing by more than half. I know that sounds probably pretty dumband trivial but as the main cook in the house, it's fantastic. I use an Echo Show there, so recipes are always visible and I can see multiple timers as well as hear them.

I've tried using them for full AV remote integration but my setup is a bit too convoluted for that and since I'm flighting or testing Xbox system updates, I can't rely on every component and preference staying put, so I kind just use OneGuide and voice for power and volume basics. Also, HDMI CEC is really fussy and unpredictable for timing - so you can end up getting out of sync very easily.

On PC, Cortana for scheduling and multitasking has been great. I don't use Google Home but I would if I used more of their stuff generally. I used to get names mixed up but once I started thinking of them as people, that went away. I am also unfailingly polite to all of them because scientists keep teaching robots to do stuff like climb stairs and brekadance - and they all have claws. So it's just an investment in my future safety. I literally say thank you to them. That's also on plan with teaching my badly behaved guttersnipe kid some proper manners.

I also secretly enjoy long texts with emergent or hilarious "typos" which I guess we should call "speakos?" Or "voice-os?"

Tip for Apple etc:

Let me customize granular Carplay steps so that I can eliminate the need for Siri to repeat certain steps or transcriptions back to me, and so that I can cut out needless repetition and steps as an "advanced" user. And loosen up on Safety or at least align with other manufacturers. In fact I think on safety - there should be some serious alignment. Touch screens in cars are fine - especially for passengers - but I drive a car with two big OLED screens with NO touch functionality - and the upside is that the car's ergonomics for safe touch-based, non distracting controls are FANTASTIC. I worry that enabling touch on the newer models is going to reduce the effort that went into that. And with it, safety.

After about a month, loads of things that seemed weird at first all clicked into place with a "ooooohh yeah! That's why touching that button makes the UI element light up without activating it! SO you can sense things withhout taking your eyes off the road."

Edit. Final confession: I didn't know Echo Dot had a reasonable (radio, alarm clock etc) speaker for two months after getting one. They have one without a speaker now for cheaper integration with your home speakers - and Alexa Echo Auto will be an absolute GAME CHANGER for folks with older or more basically equipped cars - it's literally going to save a few people thousands of dollars in trim level by giving them a lot of functionality with an array mic that can hear over road and car noise, integration with their phone and Amazon services, that might otherwise cost a fortune for the loaded model.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Yes,

-lights
-bedtime music/podcast listening (no more turning and reaching for the phone while wrapped up in blankets is the greatest QOL improvement since indoor plumbing)
-the odd random question when my hands are full in the kitchen/with a controller (time/weather/business hours/etc..)
-will eventually get a smart thermostat

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Google Home Mini. Great to set timers for when I am cooking (even though it is in the living room). I use it to listen to music/podcast but most of the time I dont use my voice to do that (but I always use voice to stop).

Funny thing, it is quite common for me to ask google to set up a timer and my phone understand a different number than the google home mini does.

I'm planning to get a robot vacuum, and being Google Assistant compatible is the only feature it must have.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
interesting. poll is basically 50/50 use/don't use

i've avoided the standalone assistants because it's easy enough to do it on my phone when I do use it

Oct 27, 2017
Cannot stand voice assistants. I don't have any of those lil boxes dotted around the house (seriously I can't think of a single useful purpose they could offer me). If I am doing any searching on my phone I will always use the keyboard rather than "talk" to my phone.

OP
OP
Shodan14

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
interesting. poll is basically 50/50 use/don't use

i've avoided the standalone assistants because it's easy enough to do it on my phone when I do use it
Indeed, it's more than I would have guessed.

Anyone have any idea if and/or how well the voice assistants work in any other language?

Dec 3, 2018
We have an Echo in the kitchen and a Dot in the living room hooked up to my receiver. The one in the kitchen is handy for cooking timers, quickly converting measurements in recipes etc and streaming podcasts and Spotify. The Dot in the livingroom is mainly used to control the lights, stream Spotify and turning the Xbox off and on. I like them, they're handy and convenient. Also, I have one set up to respond to "computer" so I get to feel like I'm in Star Trek.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I also use Android Auto daily and it's so nice to be able to answer calls and text people with voice recognition and not worry about being pulled over.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
So far only on the phone for google search or taking notes.

I don't think I'd mind voice commands with my desktop, but don't really have anything setup for anything useful I need. I'd love it if I could preach Python code into an editor via voice, though, where the commands can be loose. "Make a function called 'report'. Let's put a variable in there, call it 'level_of_bs', assign a value of 100. Now, let's start a list comprehension..."

Actually that would be a horrible idea, since I don't really want to think about what I'd be doing with my free hands while coding.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Been smartifying the house with Google assistant, so stuff like turning in the TV without having to find the remote, setting the backyard and living room lamps in schedules, checking the weather occasionally in the mornings actually is pretty nice, occasionally for music on the few speakers we have. Pretty rarely in my phone though, seems to really big down my S7

Oct 26, 2017
It's a pet peeve of mine when people use that, just use your fingers I don't need to hear what you are texting your friend

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the dork vibes are too strong when you use them no thank you

It's exclusively for balding overweight white men in polo shirts

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Just Alexa. If I'm cleaning or doing any house chores I'll tell her to put on some tunes. Might ask what the weather is like or if I have a random question.

Still, 99% its just for music. If I'm cleaning its easier to tell her than to stop what I'm doing and walk across the home and type up a bunch of stuff.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I use a Google home mini and my phone for timers sometimes, but I hate using both. I feel like I'm screaming at my kitchen. "please, please turn the volume down. I'm begging"

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really any reason to have one unless you're a very busy and active person. I mostly sit in front of a pc during the day, so pretty damn easy to just go onto a website and order what I want

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I voted yes... but I don't use them that often.

It's really really handy for things like "disable all alarms" cause I have to set 50 to wake up. It's also handy when you're watching something American and they use feet, inches, oz, US dollars, or whatever to convert it really quickly.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
When I'm alone I use Siri for timing stuff or setting up alarms and reminders, instead of grabbing my cellphone off the desk or table. It's pretty simple, quicker and always awesome in a "I grew up watching people talk to A.I.s in scifi movies just like this" kind of way.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Google Home in our living room/kitchen and a mini in the bedroom. Also have smart plugs all over the house, so I can control the lights through voice. Which is really helpful when I come home and my daughter is squirming in the stroller wanting to get our and I need the lights on. I can get her and get the lights on in the living room at the same time. It's also useful for things others have said - timers, weather, news, music, and random questions. I don't use them a TON but I do use them every day and find them very valuable. In fact, whenever we go on vacation I miss having that convenience.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
"OK Google"
"Bing!"
"Set a fifteen minute timer"
"Alright, fifteen minutes. Starting now!"

And that's about it. That's on my phone, I fail to see the need for a smart speaker.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Even when I speak clearly, my Australian accent already foils most voice assistants.
So, no.

I do love the extra option in the poll though. I hope that one person feels included, whoever you are.