• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you regularly use any voice assitants (Siri, Alexa, etc.)?

• Yes, on my phone

Votes: 47 19.9%
  • Yes, on a standalone device (smart speaker, etc.)

Votes: 73 30.9%
  • No, I don't use any voice assistants

Votes: 115 48.7%
  • I don't want to answer, but still want to feel included.

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just wondering how many people actually regularly use them. I'd define regularly here as at least once a week.

If you use them on multiple kinds of devices choose the one you use it more.

Oct 28, 2017
I've used VoiceAttack for Elite Dangerous, but for anything I don't centrally control, I don't like the idea of my voice clips and data being harvested by a big corp. Always spooky to find captured random clips of daily audio on your Google account and other things.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I use Siri sometimes through CarPlay to play a specific song or enter a navigation destination. Otherwise, no.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I use Siri on my phone all the time

"add avocados to shopping list"
"Remind me tomorrow morning at 8 AM to send email to Fred"
"play podcast"
"increase volume"
"navigate to work"
"FaceTime John Doe"
"New Message to Jane Doe"
"What is the weather like today?"
etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Siri, for phone stuff, Alexa for smart home stuff. Love being able to get the whole apartment, routines, lights, thermostat set with just one phrase. I can intercom to people on another floor/room of the house with ease. It's tech magic and I love it.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I use it on my Apple Watch sometimes. Just Siri for setting a timer or using dictation to type a message. I never use it on my phone and I don't have any smart speakers or anything.

Dec 3, 2018
Ottawa
Mostly used for reminders, checking business hours, really stupid questions (mostly imperial to metric conversions) and occasionally playing sports radio...

Only damn thing it could listen in on is me snoring during bedtime...

OP
OP
Shodan14

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does the voice for Ford Sync in the car count?
Yeah, that's basically a standalone device, I almost added them to the list of examples.
I use it on my Apple Watch sometimes. Just Siri for setting a timer or using dictation to type a message. I never use it on my phone and I don't have any smart speakers or anything.
For a smartwatch, just put it under smartphone. I didn't want to fracture the options too much.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, on my phone and smart speaker (mainly to set timers/alarms or play music). No, in cars because those are terrible and can't understand even basic words.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We all use the Echo's that are spread out around the house on a daily basis. Weather updates, timers, "turn the lights/xbox on", I have it play the Dan Patrick show every morning while I'm hanging around, play music from Amazon Music, general questions that pop up in conversation we'll ask like "What time is the game tonight?".

Phone I rarely use it, except when driving and even then it's like "Ok Google navigate to X" before I leave the driveway if I'm headed somewhere I haven't been before.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I prefer not to to use voice command at all, I don't like the idea of machines recording me, I disable the feature on all my devices where possible.

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I manage my lights, and have it do kodi related stuff on the tv. It's good.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some Alexa speakers, and I have a free Google Home mini on the way...overall I prefer controlling things via apps, but setting cooking timers via voice in the kitchen is helpful

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I only call people on my phone using voice assistance now and I use google home to know what the time is, play music or just general questions.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I use them for the lights and alarm in my room, also will set reminders for myself as well and check the weather.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
I use mine to find out the time, weather, play music, control my lights, arm my house, lock my door, change the temperature in my house, listen to the news, set reminders, and set timers. I have 7 echo dots.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Got 3 Google homes in the house that I talk to everyday. Just simple shit like checking the weather, setting timers, asking random questions.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Of course. How else do I open blinds, turn on lights and change the temp in my house by just saying "good morning"?

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
All the time

I use Siri for reminders, setting timers, sending texts and playing music.

It's great

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
No, almost never. find them useless on my phone/laptop and don't have an alexa/home or whatever. my parents do and it's annoying to have to be like "hey alexa what's the volume level" "6" "alexa volume level 3" "BOOP" "wait that's too quiet alexa volume level 4" "BOOP" "actually 3 was right alexa volume level 3" like goddamn I could fix this the way I want it with 5 button presses.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I speak to my Google Home devices multiple times every day:
1. to turn off my morning alarm,
2. to get my morning briefing (schedule, commute, weather, NPR news+),
3. to set timers and do conversions when cooking,
4. to play music/podcasts throughout the day (especially when working from home),
5. to control my Chromecast (although I'm mostly using my FireTV stick now),
6. to check store hours
7. sometimes to communicate with my spouse in another part of the house.

I don't use Google Voice on my phone, though.

Oct 25, 2017
I use Alexa in the kitchen and it's nice. Make a shopping list, play music or podcasts, and then Google while I'm driving on my phone to hands free change the song. It's nice. All hail the overlords

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like talking to people if I can help it. Talking to robots is all the noise and none of the benefit.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Google Home + Chromecast + Phillips Hue smartlights + Harmony Hub universal remote = this nerd's dream.

I bark orders at my home and it does all the things.