• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey made dressing up more fun than it has ever been.

I did this on my first playthrough without knowing anything beforehand, and I thought it was hilarious. The dragon already doesn't fit in with Mario, so why not wear a clown suit and jump on its head?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Most video games go out of their way to not be "immersive" that i genuinely do not care and would prefer to goof it up.

A flaming horse in ancient greece isnt realistic? Its a ubisoft game, the second you stride into town 18 bugs are happening within frame that are just as unrealistic. Someones chariot is spawning in upside down, a civilian duplicated himself and now theyre both floating away, a pot spotaneously combusts, a spartan spawned in as the default NPC and is tposing before phasing in as the correct model, who cares that your horse is on fire

Oct 26, 2017
My characters wear the dumbest shit possible at all times and always have. Interesting the OP wants the horse so he can fall huge distance without dying but only the look breaks immersion

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, and if a game is built around "immersive controls" I will seek ways to mod better controls in the game if it's possible, and carry weight limits too. I don't need things to be lore friendly or immersive to enjoy games.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Ashley always wears the suit of Armor in Resident Evil 4 for me.

It's truly an amazing experience each time.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I use the brightest skins in Gears. Gotta look fab while I shoot you in the face boo. šŸ’…šŸ¼

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends, but I often do just use what I like visually. In Call Of Duty games I often ended up with some weird pink or neon stuff, so there's that. On the other end there's stuff like PUBG where I always made sure to not wear colours that would make me stand out too much in the vegetation, so where stealth matters I do not break the immersion. But again that's more of a practical thing.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I use the brightest skins in Gears. Gotta look fab while I shoot you in the face boo. šŸ’…šŸ¼
Lol, same. I loved the Highway skins in 4 and just bought the spinning rainbow Lancer skin in 5 yesterday.
Sf85xz4.gif

How could I
not use this?
In something like RPGs, though? I'll likely keep it more "in-line" with what's expected, I guess.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I use whatever is the most aesthetically pleasing to me. & stats I guess. also this legitimately looks cool

IESfPc4.jpg

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Most video games go out of their way to not be "immersive" that i genuinely do not care and would prefer to goof it up.

A flaming horse in ancient greece isnt realistic? Its a ubisoft game, the second you stride into town 18 bugs are happening within frame that are just as unrealistic. Someones chariot is spawning in upside down, a civilian duplicated himself and now theyre both floating away, a pot spotaneously combusts, a spartan spawned in as the default NPC and is tposing before phasing in as the correct model, who cares that your horse is on fire

the hell you on about? AC Odyssey is a well polished game.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
In single-player I'll usually tone it down for immersion, but in multiplayer depending on the game, I love to make my character look either perfectly normal, or pretty in pink when everyone else is sporting the next try-hard badass looking thing.

Edit:
Also Xanthous set in Dark Souls is super cool and weird. You don't need "The Force" to explain it. The original wearer may have had extremely well-honed senses to feel and hear their way through the world. Stranger things have happened in the series.

Last edited:

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
It really depends how seriously I take the game.
Right now I'm playing The Witcher III, while also reading the books. I treat the game more as a way to supplement experiencing the lore and therefore care a fair bit about immersion. I imagine the game doesn't have a lot in it that would break that, but I have seen some stupid looking mods that I steered clear of while downloading HD texture packs.

Most games, though, I don't care and/or really like the dumb shit you can wear. Stuff like MMOs, Diablo or RPGs like FFXV/Xenoblade etc are made more fun by how dumb you can make your character imo.

basically this

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
It varies a bit by game, but I usually don't mind. Especially for stuff like new game plus runs where I'll often actively seek out silly looking gear.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I generally try to match my character's aesthetic to the tone of the game that I'm playing. If I'm playing a single player game with a focus on narrative, then I'm less inclined to put on any goofy cosmetic items. If I'm playing a game like Borderlands or even Dark Souls, then I'm more inclined to occasionally mess around in a goofy outfit. Either because it doesn't go against the tone of the game or because it adds to the enjoyment when playing online with others. When it comes to stats vs. fashion, I almost always choose fashion if it is within reason. I'm not going to run around in level 1 gear at level 50 but if I'm able to get through the game without too much of a hassle while still looking good then I'll do that every time.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Eh, it depends on the game. I really like it if there's a lot of creative - but lore friendly - equipment in games, but it turns out I will eventually go ahead and wear stupid shit no matter how immersive the game is.

In AC Origins I've got a weird mechanical horse and futuristic sword/shield combo going on. It's still my first playthrough.
I started Bloodstained recently and I've dressed up in a pink outfit with a "cute beret" and gas mask.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I used to love the whole "immersion" factor but now I enjoy using ridiculous, vibrant outfits/skins.

Ɔnima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Nop. And this is why most of the DLC has no impact on me. I finished Ass Creed Odyssey with the horse i got from the start.

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
the hell you on about? AC Odyssey is a well polished game.
If youve never experience a wayward bug in AC Odyssey then you probably didnt spend a lot of time with it. Cleared out the whole map (which lead to other oddities like becoming the leader of daughters of artemis but still having to kill them for the checklist), came across something odd often enough. Obviously im exagerating for comedic playthough but those are all bugs i came across in my playthrough. What about taming an animal but it instantly becoming untamed when you die? It wont stick with you if you fast travel or get onto a boat but swim between islands it magically has followed you so if you want to keep a big wolf you have to swim everywhere. If you care about realism so fucking much you cant have fun with a flaming horse you get as a reward for killing the main set of mercenaries then honestly i question why youre playing a Ubisoft Open World game in the first place. How has the laundry list of mechanical oddities and minor bugs not gotten to you long before getting the horse?

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
I absolutely adored Spider-Man PS4 and all depictions of unlockable costumes, but I can't use them because there is no explanation on why he has them (no Multiverse-related storyline IIRC), so I'd rather use Advanced, Classic or
the Armor he uses against Octopus, even using this one is a bit immersion-breaking, because it was for the final battle only

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Depends on the game. If the game takes itself seriously I don't use "silly" cosmetics. Otherwise, anything goes.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to role-play in every game the best way I can, so picking an outfit that makes sense is usually what I do.
I like to try new stuff when replaying games, though, so I give these silly things a try.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
If youve never experience a wayward bug in AC Odyssey then you probably didnt spend a lot of time with it. Cleared out the whole map (which lead to other oddities like becoming the leader of daughters of artemis but still having to kill them for the checklist), came across something odd often enough. Obviously im exagerating for comedic playthough but those are all bugs i came across in my playthrough. What about taming an animal but it instantly becoming untamed when you die? It wont stick with you if you fast travel or get onto a boat but swim between islands it magically has followed you so if you want to keep a big wolf you have to swim everywhere. If you care about realism so fucking much you cant have fun with a flaming horse you get as a reward for killing the main set of mercenaries then honestly i question why youre playing a Ubisoft Open World game in the first place. How has the laundry list of mechanical oddities and minor bugs not gotten to you long before getting the horse?
I put like 200 hours into Odyssey and don't recall having experienced any of the bugs you mentioned. I wouldn't call the daughters of artemis thing a bug, just kind of a dumb choice or oversight. Tamed animals stayed with me when I fast traveled or went on a boat (they don't get on the boat, but they show up again when I get on land).

Oct 25, 2017
I will 100% pick the stupidest looking shit I can find ESPECIALLY if the clothing/items stay on during cutscenes.

But I mostly just care about stats. Yes I will wear some cat ears, a donkey dick around my neck, a gorilla suit and some hot pink sunglasses if that will give me the best stats.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Never. It also why I ignore most cartoony games like Ratchet & Clank. I am unable to immerse myself.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I try and pick something that looks like it'll fit in that world, I don't tend to go with sillier outfits.

It does depend on the game though. For example, I don't mind silly outfits in games like Overwatch or something like that.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't give a toss about "lore friendly" cosmetic content, it really annoyed me that the first few years of Skyrim mods were dominated by people who would get super angry at any that didn't match the tone of the game. Whatever looks cool or funny I'll use.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I'll try anything out but I tend to stray away from immersion breaking items and unlockables. I've noticed Ubi games are loaded with them, especially the AC titles. (2,000 year old armor? Works perfectly!)

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Something like Bayek's clothes not being climate appropriate I'm usually ok with, but when it gets into supernatural or otherwise jarring stuff I'll usually forego it in favor of something that at least looks like it belongs in the game's art style.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I dropped Star Wars Battlefront at the moment I realized that there were Stomtrooper running around on the map without a helmet and never returned to the Multiplayer.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Depends the game, of course, and the intent of the visual direction and the audience. But if your game is supposed to uphold an even marginally coherent visual identity, and you're pissing it away with dumbshit goof costumes from the onset, you can be sure I'm fucking that shit right off into the bin where it belongs. They're usually fun for replays though, see the weird Sleeping Dogs outfits.

It works in something like Mario Odyssey where the game's visual identity is inherently disjointed, cartoonish, and varied. It doesn't really matter that Mario is wearing absurd outfits, because everyone in the game is to some capacity, and in a single stage you'll find people wearing all kinds of shit. The incoherent mix match is largely part of the identity itself.

But I also find it a bit jarring in general, particularly when it comes at a cost of what I perceive as silhouettes and quick glace visual identifiers. I think there's a point when a game has gone totally overboard with variety of skins and outfits and costumes or whatever and has become an horrible, visually jarring mess of incoherent styles that makes the end result look like a dumpster fire of Skyrim mods. And even then when it is somewhat grounded it hurts the visual readability of the game. Battlefield V's outfits are fine in theory, but the consequence of mixing and matching is that it's now literally impossible to tell what class an enemy is.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
No I don't use any cosmetic items. I like the characters to look the way they were intended.

I played the majority of god of war using the base armour because that's how kratos was supposed to look

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
No I don't use them and honestly it's one of the main reasons I stopped playing CSGO and other online competitive games. Definitely not the only reason but one of them.

Getting killed by anyone is frustrating, getting killed by someone whose gun is covered in orange hexagon patterns and tiger stripes is so much more annoying. I'm against this whittling away of "purity" in online games in exchange for "engagement." I still find immersion important even in online games and a lot of that is lost when you have constant congratulatory pop ups and music and skins and all that stuff. For me, at least.

Last edited:

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
It depends. If it's goofy like that DS armour then no I wouldn't use it. But if it's got a non-lore-friendly yet POPPIN aesthetic going on... that's another story. To use another AC example, Evie from Syndicate would have been arrested for indecency if she wore her DLC outfit in real life Victorian London, but damn it looks cool.

apps.61253.71007243154706892.b964002a-0bfe-4d54-94c4-cfd56b8ab3bd.6d2078b1-0d1e-4448-934b-bc4b90ae45ca