• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
πŸ‘¦πŸ‘¦πŸ»πŸ‘¦πŸ»πŸ‘¦πŸ½πŸ‘¦πŸΎπŸ‘¦πŸΏ

I noticed today for some reason,

I don't since I don't really care what it looks like, self expression I would suppose is why people do it.

But yellow is just more appealing to me and easy on the eyes.

Do you use emoji with only your skin color?

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
It would be nice if the default was brown. A lot of the time the 'normal' skin-tone for things defaults to white. But I do go through the extra step of selecting my skin tone for the ones that allow it. If I'm using a yellow emoji then whatever. But for things like the hand signs or little people, definitely.

OhMan

Apr 29, 2019
nope, think I'll start using the white female in the future though even though im a black dude
πŸ‘ΈπŸΌπŸ™‹πŸΌβ€β™€οΈπŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I either use yellow because it's quicker or sometimes scroll to the whitest as I'm pretty damn pale. But I'm not too bothered by it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yellow because it's kinda the default neutral colour. I'd feel like a dick if I explicitly went hunting for the white person variant. There's a good chance I'm overthinking that, though.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've heard the term "digital blackface" getting thrown around for using black emoji, gifs etc when you aren't black which, while weird to me, made me feel a bit averse to using emoji not my own skin color lol.

I mostly use yellow or white

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I never use those emojis with humans on them, I just use these classic circular emojis πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜πŸ˜‚πŸ˜… which are always yellow

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Another white person using only yellow emoji. I know most people who use white emojis think nothing of it, but it bothers me a -tiny- bit that for some reason they decided to do the extra step of switching the skin colour.

-edit-

I'll say again: It is a VERY minor thing, I don't see a white emoji and think "Look at this motherfucking racist", it feels more like reading a typo or a grammatical mistake.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it seems most people use the yellow ones because we're all lazy to even bother

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I use the white ones but that's because it feels more personal when I send someone 'The finger' emoji!

Oct 27, 2017
I generally use yellow but I have used the ones in shades of brown because I'm shades of brown so. In all honesty the human emoji's are turds anyway don't use them if you want to avoid being lame.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I use the white people one's for hand signs and use yellow for emoji faces etc (same with the people)

Once I did it to try I just kept doing it, now they are shortcuts so I'd have to go out my way to change

Oct 28, 2017
The white ones make it harder to read the details when they're miniscule, I think. I never use emoticons anyway. Don't really like them.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always just use yellow. It just seems extra to me to go out of my way to show that I'm white, like, I get it people are proud of their heritage or themselves or whatever, it doesn't make me side eye anyone that does use them, but I could not give less of a shit. If it's like a slack post at work and someone's got a thumbs up there, I don't care what color it is I just click it to add a little 1 and move on.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I actually don't use emoji. I use the stickers in my chat app, which is LINE.
The are far superior to garbage generic looking emoji.
Most/many of them are anthropomorphic animals and such.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I actually don't use emoji. I use the stickers in my chat app, which is LINE.
The are far superior to garbage generic looking emoji.
Most/many of them are anthropomorphic animals and such.
Yeah, I kinda wish I could use my cute lizard and irate sumo wrestler LINE stickers on other social media instead.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
i always use yellow.
Also, because there's no white dude with brown hair emoji.

I mostly use
face-with-uneven-eyes-and-wavy-mouth_1f974.png
and
see-no-evil-monkey_1f648.png
anyways.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah I do. For all my life, everything defaulted to white or white approximations (yellow being white in this case, largely due to the Simpsons), so the moment I got the ability to diverge from said defaultness and represent myself, I did it. πŸ‘¨πŸΎβ€πŸ¦²πŸ‘¨πŸΎβ€πŸ¦²πŸ‘¨πŸΎβ€πŸ¦²πŸ‘¨πŸΎβ€πŸ¦²πŸ‘¨πŸΎβ€πŸ¦²πŸ‘¨πŸΎβ€πŸ¦²πŸ‘¨πŸΎβ€πŸ¦²πŸ‘¨πŸΎβ€πŸ¦²πŸ‘¨πŸΎβ€πŸ¦²πŸ‘¨πŸΎβ€πŸ¦²

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. I don't see the point, if I'm being honest. The default emoji shade of yellow isn't supposed to be an approximation of any ethnic group's particular skin color, nobody's skin is actually that color. The neutrality of the default yellow, and the fact that it can represent anyone or anything, is why I don't care to change it. They're just emoji.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I only use the classical yellow smileys because that's what i've been using for 20 years (and that's also why i say "smileys" and not "emojis"). And i'm whiter than Walter White tighty-whities (the sun is my mortal enemy). So no.