• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 45957

It was my default for a long time, but I was never really satisfied with the results so I switched back to google. I use an android device so my privacy is nonexistent anyway.

France aside, wouldn't DDG have to comply with GDPR fully regardless of their location if their site is available in the EU?

They would have to comply with GDPR indeed. But they would also have to comply with American laws (which are partly contradictory to EU laws regarding personal data) since they are an American company. Since all of this is a bit blurry, I prefer using Qwant which is european.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I go back and forth on it. I appreciate what they're doing, and use it when I can, but I can't use it for everything.

I find it's perfectly fine for relatively simple searches. Searches where you know there are specific website results it should return. Works fast and doesn't have Google's modified URLs (a pain when you try to copy a link and end up with a big long mess instead).

But searching for something a bit more complicated, or looking for a very specific thing that will return a small result set, it's hard to match Google's index. So I still end up using Google a lot.

Side bar - Google really annoys me when I have to "put" "every" "word" "in" "quotes" to get results that include very word. I get they need to do that because most people don't search that way. But give me a giant "Yes, include all the words" button or something.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I did the switch couple of months ago. It's ok for most of the stuff, but at the same time, I still have to have google on my favorite bar. Some times I get some bizarre suggestions and the relevant sites are buried further back. But it's kinda rare. Overall I like, it's not google but nothing is.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I use it almost exclusively. I will do a Google search if I don't like the DDG results I'm getting but this happens more and more infrequently.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I switched over to it years ago... And then at some point I got fed up with the limited results and started appending !g to each search. It's dumb, but I've accepted that no matter what I do pretty much every aspect of my online presence is being tracked by someone regardless.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Yes I made the switch, some searches don't give me the results I want so I just open Google incognito (so it isn't directly tied to my Google account) and put the search in. I am ok with Google having some search history, it's better than giving them everything. I will say it is way better than when I first heard of them years back, when DDG first came out I couldn't use it seriously as the results just weren't up to par. But they are pretty good now.

Also switched away from Chrome back to Firefox. Have been happy with it.

Still haven't escaped from gmail though.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Also switched away from Chrome back to Firefox. Have been happy with it.

Still haven't escaped from gmail though.
Leaving behind Google's browser is a lot easier than leaving behind Google Search. I rarely use Chrome these days. Firefox on desktop, Brave on mobile. (Firefox mobile is also a thing, but Brave has built-in ad blocking.)

I still don't know what the best option is for web mail. I have so many logins tied to gmail/hotmail addresses.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
I still don't know what the best option is for web mail. I have so many logins tied to gmail/hotmail addresses.

ProtonMail is a popular one for security minded people. FastMail is also a popular option, it has mobile apps, and a good mobile webpage. I have a fastmail account and it seems pretty nice, just haven't migrated everything over. Changing all of those accounts is a lot of work.

ProtonMail is based out of Switzerland and FastMail out of Australia, something non-US based is important to many people to help avoid NSA surveillance.

Both paid of course.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Never heard of it, so I just checked it out. It seems alright, and would have been something I would have played around with a few years ago, but I've become accustomed to Google integration with pretty much everything for convenience.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been using it since around the time it started, and exclusively using it since iOS supported having it as a default search engine. I've never once felt it didn't give me the results I needed. Thumbs up.

Anyone not neck deep in Android/Google should feel comfortable in making the switch.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Of course I do... it's like, a no-brainer. Why would one NOT use it?

Like, it's a total no-brainer, right up there with turning off tap-click on a notebook, reducing white point on iOS, and enabling hardware encryption on your external disks.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's my default search engine but despite that I don't actually use it that much. For a lot of the stuff I search Google is significantly better.

Handicapped Duck

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I've used it for two years now but that doesn't mean much when I still have Yahoo Mail, Gmail, and other tracking/listening devices like Alexa. Changing even just my email even for my most-used sites would be a hassle because of how much I would need to change.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's about 50/50 between Google and DuckDuckGo. I use Google mostly for work related stuff, DuckDuckGo if I'm casually searching for something.

Llazy07

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No but I used to play duck duck go in elementary school recess. Man those were the times

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
i tired to switch a couple of times giving them ~3 weeks of exclusive use each time.
It's not bad but it really isn't on par with Google and had to switch back

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i tried to use it over the last two weeks but it just sucks so hard compared to google that i can't do it any longer.

have my fucking data google. you won.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Yes it is my default search engine on my computer + phone. I still use google sporadically, because duckduckgo's results are not as good in case I need to find something on a specific website, like "resetera mobile games".

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I just searched for replacing my wasdkeyboard keyset via duckduckgo. I had not searched anywhere else and only clicked on the official company website.

A few minutes later I'm sorting something out on amazon not related to keyboards and the recommended items in my checkout are keyboards. I've never searched for keyboards on amazon.

--nvm I just remembered I then sent an email to the company from my gmail account. You really are the product with google. Not getting their phones.
All my settings on google are for non-targetted advertising...but I guess that doesn't stop them selling my info to companies that will directly target it.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's not as good as google though but i suppose it works well enough and it keeps Google off my butt.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You work for DuckDuckGo? You have some affiliation you wanna share? 'Cuz this smells like an astroturf.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Yeah. You can just type !g in duckduckgo to search via google, if you don't find something (The bangs feature is generally great, I always forget it also works for most other stuff).

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I use it even though it's driving me crazy at times. It's clearly worse than google to guess what you are looking for, and it doesn't have any proper functionality to stop guessing and instead display pages that contain (or not) the words you actually typed. Using quotes around words is merely a suggestion for DuckDuckGo to treat the word as more important, not that they MUST be included.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
It is my primary search engine but still, at least once a day, I just open up Google cause I know Duckduckgo won't give me any results worth a crap on a particular search.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I have it set as default, but honestly I still switch to google most of the time. It just works so much better.