• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 2, 2019
I usually don't, but recently I found myself being fond of the CTR filter used in SNES mini and the Switch NES and SNES online apps

It's also a must for PSX at native or double res.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I try to use them as much as I can. I don't tend to like the implementation that most retro game releases use though so I may skip them there. I go for it when I have the power to tweak it how I want in retroarch.

All CRTs were different so it's not an exact science but these games were built for this technology and I'd rather have them displayed as close as possible to how originally intended like with that transparency effect Sonic used for waterfalls.

OP
OP
Leo

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I guess I'm gonna try shifting to scanlines always and see how I feel about it.

I have a SNES hooked up to my lcd TV, I wish there was a cheap way to make that look better / add filters. It never really bothered me with my past TVs, but this one is my first 4k, and it seems that the higher the resolution of the TV, the worst 480p content look. It's horrendous right now, but I bear with it cause nothing beats the feeling of playing on a real SNES.

Nope, I just change them to 16:9 ratio.
lol classy

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
When I was playing my games on the Amiga using my TV I often laughed at PC users with crispier monitors. Even though they were CRT as well, you could easily see pixels in the games which, at least to my eye, looked much worse than games on a regular TV. Going back to these games without filters is a pain because I feel as if I played PC ports and not Amiga ports. In other words, I have to use filters. Unfortunately, I did not find one that looks "exactly" like real TV, but they are definitely much better than no filters. I would love to have a real CRT to play the games, but I don't have space for it, so I doubt I will ever buy one.

If I want pixelated pixel art, I can always play modern indie games ;)

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Only if it's one that's done right and the games art was designed in a way to make use of CRT effects.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
No. I see no point in making any games look worse just to have some sort of nostalgia.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Scanlines on 32-bit games and older are essential to making them look right IMO. 2D games especially, as they were nearly always drawn using scanlines as part of the art composition.

I don't like shader-based CRT filters that apply curvature and discolouration effects though, I think those go too far and look pretty bad. If I'm emulating something on a modern TV, I like my retro games to look like I'm playing on a perfect PVM or CRT flatscreen connected by the best RGB cable money can buy, not the shit, old telly you got from your gran with a composite cable, and really I just need a decent scanline filter for that. You can probably go further with a light shader filter, but I don't think it's worth it and I don't miss those 'flaws'.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Scanlines yes. Pixel art looks so much better on an SD CRT but scanlines (and similar filters) are the closest to that experience.

I'd imagine the preference depends whether you grew up doing 8/16 bit gaming on CRTs or not.
No. I see no point in making any games look worse just to have some sort of nostalgia.
They don't make them look worse though. Scanlines massively reduce the harshness of the low resolution pixels and trick your brain in to thinking it's more detailed than it really is, as your brain fills in the gaps. It's why CRTs look like they're outputting a higher resolution than they actually are, and (black levels and motion aside) why LCD seemed like such a downgrade in the early days before HD.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer to them, but a huge amount of games have absolutely crap implementations of it, so I usually leave them off.

M2's Metal Slug 2 port is probably the best I've seen when it comes to scanlines.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, of course. The games were made with CRTs in mind, they look wrong in the literal sense of the word without it.

I do wish the Switch Online filter was less blurry though.

Hell no! Give me those razor-sharp pixels, like God intended. I see no point in needlessly emulating flaws of older technology. Give me original aspect ratio, no borders, and beautiful, sharp pixels.

I also do not listen to music with the hiss, and pops of dirty vinyls, but some crazy folk dig that.

The sad part about this is this is all wrong. Without a filter, you actually are getting the wrong aspect ratio for a lot of systems, and seeing sharp pixels is a problem, since you are not supposed to focus on the pixels, but instead on the art the pixels are making. Not using a CRT filter is like refusing to watch a movie without black bars, cause they bother you, even if you are messing up the movie by removing them.

It's not like listening to music on vinyl for nostalgia, it's actually more like playing something in the wrong format.

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
It depends how good they are. 90%+ of scanline filters in commercial products are complete junk that look nothing like what a CRT would display (dark, blurry, too thick) so I usually leave them off. Even M2 can't seem to get this right.

I love the hybrid scanlines on my OSSC however.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
They don't make them look worse though. Scanlines massively reduce the harshness of the low resolution pixels and trick your brain in to thinking it's more detailed than it really is, as your brain fills in the gaps. It's why CRTs look like they're outputting a higher resolution than they actually are, and (black levels and motion aside) why LCD seemed like such a downgrade in the early days before HD.
I've played on PC CRT monitors for the most part where scanlines weren't even present most of the time even in low resolutions so I see them as degradation only, nothing more.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I hate scanline filters but i love playing SD games on a CRT set. Too bad that's not very practical for me these days...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The real retro game crime is people who play 4:3 games stretched to 16:9

*Shudders*

Oct 25, 2017
mostly stuck with default settings and 2x scanlines and a Panny Plasma TV

zRDmU2v.jpg
My God, this looks amazing!

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
SF 30th Anniversary Collection tested SF 3Rd Strike with and without CRT filter and it looks much better with the CRT filter so it depends on the game and quality of CRT filter

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I think they look universally pretty terrible but I get why some people like them.

The real retro game crime is people who play 4:3 games stretched to 16:9

*Shudders*
At least this we can all agree on.
Those smoothing filters like the ones the Mega Man X collection had (and I think defaulted to?) also are the wooooorst

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I prefer dem pixels as sharp as possible, it makes me appreciate more the effort put into sprite art.

But to be fair, choosing the "sharp pixels" option right away is easier than trying all the CRT filters one by one and seeing which one is more to the liking.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Some of them are pretty decent nowadays if you combine them with a quality lcd/oled set. Still a long ways to go compared to a good trinitron or pvm but better than your average, run of the mill crt.

Oct 25, 2017
It's mandatory to me. I wish more stuff released on the GC/Xbox/PS2 era had an option for the CRT filter on digital releases. My Gamecube games looks so much better with scanlines on my CRT.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to use CRT filters for most of my emulators on PC, but not sure which ones to get and how to install them.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I usually use scanlines, however, the one on the Genesis Mini makes the screen way too dark. The one on the SNES classic as well as the Switch NES/SNES stuff is good.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I have all my old retro stuff still hooked up to CRTs, but the odd times I do play emulated re-releases I do use filters, but usually switch between the various options often.

Oct 25, 2017
Not all CRT filters are created equal. Ones that that add blur to smear the screen to emulate old CRT TVs like the SNES Switch online service and the Contra collection are generally awful for me.

However, give me ones that emulate those professional monitors with no blur all day, everyday, and I'll prefer it over raw pixels every time.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
My old TV never had scanlines like most CRT filters seem to add so I avoid them since, for me, it isn't an authentic experience.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
That's the good shit. What shaders / overlay?
The Gameboy one is the gb-dmg shader in RetroArch. Load up a core/game and go to Shaders > Load Preset > shaders_cg > Handheld > console border and pick one of the gb-dmg ones. Then back out a menu, and go to Options, and change the palette. The last step will make it look more like the screenshot above.

Looking nice

LxzVZ1y.jpg

Last edited:

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I use a 4k scanlines overlay on my nvdia shield and then the blaargg rf filter to give the look of crt. Complete with slight interference and blur. It's the closest thing I've ever seen to an old crt. Works wonders for all things 8 and 16 bit and psx era.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, only time I haven't used them is on the Mega Man collection, because it's horribly implemented.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I just play old games in modern tvs/monitors, using nothing and maybe stretching the hell out of the screen. Good games are still good in shit image quality and i just don't have the patience or care about setting this stuff.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
If they're well implemented, sure. I modded my NES Classic for the express purpose of being able to use scanlines without having to use that shitty CRT blur filter alongside it.

It's funny, I used to actually hate scanlines, but then Sonic Mania's incredible CRT filter came around and I've been spoiled ever since.

The Gameboy one is the gb-dmg shader in RetroArch. Load up a core/game and go to Shaders > Load Preset > shaders_cg > Handheld > console border and pick one of the gb-dmg ones. Then back out a menu, and go to Options, and change the palette. The last step will make it look more like the screenshot above.

Looking nice

LxzVZ1y.jpg
Holy fuck, Crazy Castle 2. I completely forgot about this series.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I use them for NES and SNES games, within reason. I don't like slathering oppressively strong scanlines over my display though.

c7kLzHB.png

V5CIexo.jpg

RiUEgvZ.jpg

JFyVxj5.jpg

Whether accurate or not, it's how I remember games looking like back in the day, and that is what matters to me.

Oct 25, 2017
If I can get scanlines that scale nicely on the display, sure.

I don't use much else. As long as there's a square pixel option I'm usually happy. Yes I know CRT TVs didn't have square pixels for a lot of 240p consoles but I don't mind the look.

A lot of CRT filters really pale in comparison to what was available in PC emulators going back ten years ago, and are broadly in line with what was available twenty years ago.

I haven't touched emulators on PC in a while but I know that they have much better options than the kind of vaseline RF filters that end up on stuff nowadays. It's crazy how bad they can look.

Mega Man Legacy Collection I'm looking straight at you. You look so bad on Switch.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Not always a fan of them. Most implementations don't accomplish what they set out to do, and their usage feels on the performative side. Most of them appear to be composite (or god forbid... RF) filters with slapdash scanlines laid over them, and they do little more than hurt the image quality. I prefer my pixels clean in most cases. There are exceptions, like games that make excessive use of dithering, or (the opposite end of the spectrum) games where the artists simply didn't really know what they were doing and just created a lot of pixell-y noise. Composite or RF blurring and bleeding can help in those cases, especially on colour-starved systems. If I have a choice, I usually still prefer the clarity of RGB though. Their cleaner edges makes games easier on my eyes, which helps if you're sensitive to headaches. Especially if it's a game where I'll have to do a bunch of reading.

The thing I find more important, are aspect ratios. Even people who mean well stumble here at times. There's no one-size-fits-all solution here unfortunately. Some games clearly took the stretching to 4:3 in mind when making their assets, while others didn't. You can probably tell pretty quickly which game did or didn't from looking at the circles in those games. If objects that were obviously meant to be round look stretched out, like a sun, moon, wheel, or morph ball, you'll want to fiddle around a bit.