• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I recently got a Switch and am currently playing the Megaman collections. My standard practice has always been to play games without any kind of post process interference whatsoever, I use the original screen ration, I don't even like to play with those side frames. I'm very conservative about these things.

I couldn't help but notice though that the CRT filters for these games are actually great. They make the game look better, I think, but I can't get over feeling guilty for using them because I know they really aren't very accurate to what a CRT TV would look like (I don't even remember how it looked like tbh, it's been at least 10 years since I looked at one) and thus are detracting from the original experience.

Megaman 1-6 in particular have a filter that not only has the scanlines, but it also adds a ghosting effect to the sprites, and that made go like "OMG yeah, that's how it used to look like". It looks nostalgic as fuck, but at the same time I can't help but feeling it's fake. Unfortunately they didn't add this one to either the second classic collection or the X collection.

What do you guys think of these filters? Do you usually have them on when playing retro games? Do they do a good job of emulating CRT displays or not? Do you think games look better with them?

Last edited:

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan of filters that replicate the look of a PVM:

images

It's why I wish the SNES Online app had a pure 'scanlines' filter instead of just the CRT one, which adds additional noise.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

I tried using them on my OSSC, but I never was satisfied with how they looked. I've really grown to like the image without them though at 4x scaling.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game's implementation, but if they generally support it, hell yes. Give me scanlines. Give me CRT curvature. Give me phosphor effects. Options are great things.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Real talk I would love if PS1 and PS2 emulation on the newest console allowed you to play at the original resolution without blurring. I am thinking along the lines of Devil Daggers

Oct 25, 2017
I use a CRT monitor with my PC for emulation. On my Switch and other consoles I leave it as it is. I generally don't like the look of CRT filters on LCD displays, but I'd like to see how it looks on a 4K OLED display.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I find them crucial for any old console/TV games. Shaders are a nice fallback, but I got a CRT working with RetroArch a while back so now it's the real thing. Lovely.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Scanlines and other CRT filters never even remotely remind me of what it was like to game on even the old-ass 1970s TV my parents still had when I was growing up. It's awesome for people who find them nostalgic somehow, but I can't for the life of me see how anyone would find the CRT filters on the majority of games to be in any way representative of a real CRT experience.

I keep an old CRT around for my NES and SNES though.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More importantly I scale the screen size to multiples of 2 because I hate inconsistent pixel sizes when going full screen on an LCD monitor that isn't multiple of 2

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Usually, as long as they aren't offensively distracting. I like the subtle versions some emulators and Analog offers on their consoles. It's more about evoking the feeling of playing on my childhood 13" TV than it is accuracy.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A good CRT filter/scanlines are essential to a retro experience, I believe.

That being said, the implementation varies widely among retro collections in regards to quality, and few are as good as the options available in say... RetroArch.

I love being able to take all the NeoGEO/SEGA games I've purchased and use them with crt-royale-kurozumi tho. The end results is just beautiful.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
They look good without filters on my plasma. Sometimes i use scanline filters when they're done well. Most games are being played on CRTs/PVMs these days whenever possible.

Jan 3, 2019
I like PVM looking ones like royale kurozumi. Though easymode looks good on pretty much anything so I keep it on hand as a second option.