• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I remember using first person with Episode I: Racer on N64, but that might be the only instance. I'm pretty sure I'd be extremely into it with VR though.

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
For most 'serious' or simulations like forza or Dirt Rally I play in cockpit view. Otherwise it's third person for more Arcady games. Playing a race in gta now 1st person would be crazy,

Jan 10, 2018
I always use cockpit when I play a simulation, a VR experience or if I'm using a racing wheel. If it's an arcade experience I tend to use third person cam and a controller; if the wheel support is not exceptionally good.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
If I can disable the rendering of the wheel and hands, yes. I'm playing with a wheel so having another set of wheel and hands on the screen is unnecessary and a little awkward.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
3rd person. i prefer seeing the next set of corners ahead. it's also easier to stay on the/your driving line

i just feel like you have an idea of what the car is always doing in 3rd person view. cockpit view is great for immersion and thrill but it has too many disadvantages

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Until recently I used to drive in the cockpit view almost exclusively, but in FH4 I switched to chase cam, and that became my preferred view for that game. Motorsport and similar games I still play mostly in cockpit. I usually can perform better in cockpit, and better still when using the bonnet cam, but that depends on what I'm doing. Racing, sure, but drifting? Probably not. Just driving around is most enjoyable in the third person perspective (depending on the implementation), but you don't get to just drive around in most racing games.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
3rd person on arcade racing games, on sims / semisims cockpit view
Exactly this.

Or in other terms, first person in Forza Motorsport/F1, third person in Forza Horizon/Driveclub.

The only exception is Dirt Rally 1 and 2, which being sims I play in third person, because first person is deadly scary.

dawid22

Oct 30, 2017
Forza Horizon, Dirt 4, Dirt Rally 2.0, Wipeout HD: third-person. Forza Motorsport, GT Sport, F1: First Person.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It's funny because I was always chase cam because I needed to see where my car was......but then I tried cockpit a few times while playing Driveclub and now I can't go back to chase cam......once you get a feel for where your car is on the track cockpit cam feels much more immersive.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The interior takes up too much of the screen for my taste, so I typically use the hood cam. I'd use cockpit view if I had a bigger or wider monitor that was higher resolution.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I always use bumper cam, cockpit is too restrictive. Chase cam feels like I'm not really in control of the car.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
Not cockpit, but that camera that goes on the roof of the car, that shows the helmet (f1) or the hood (GT). It gives enough FoV to actually see what's going on and is closer to 1st than 3rd person.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I drive better in first person view, I have a better feel and understanding for the motion of the car. In a game like Horizon I may sometimes use a high 3rd person view for exploring and looking at scenery, but I need to be in a first person view for races or I won't be driving at my best. Due to eye issues I'll only use full cockpit if sat close to the screen, otherwise bonnet cam.

This is one of the reasons I disliked Drive Club - the first person view meant for a poor view of the road ahead due to the filtering and lighting choices in the game. Made it hard to judge the road ahead. So I was forced to play 3rd person which I found difficult in races.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I'll deal with cockpit view if that's all there is, but I use third person. As with shooters and action games, I want to see the cool looking model that was painstakingly crafted at all times.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm playing just a single player career mode or whatever then I use cockpit, if I'm trying to set fast lap times then I use 3rd person camera. I struggle with the track limits/car dimensions with cockpit cam.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
never, one time the first time for funsies, but it's either bumper cam or 3rd person (if there is no bumper cam)
Cockpit view is too limited, it's not even realistic (except in vr of course)

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
In DriveClub and Gran turismo games yes, they handle and feel better when played from cockpit view. Both these games feel weird in a not so good way when played from third person camera view.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I do better in cockpit (and bumper) view for sim and arcade-sim racers. I prefer it too for the immersion. Most other racers though I play in third-person.

I play American/Euro Truck Sim in cab view as well. Also because I prefer it but it has to be said it's hard to control the trucks in most of the third person views. I only switch to third person when I need to park a trailer.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
In most racing games that have it, sure. Mostly prefer the dashboard view more than the behind the wheel cam. Far more immersive experience. I don't play online so don't need to worry about the limitations of the views.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer cockpit. I can play in 3rd person just fine but i noticed that i tend to be less reckless while in cockpit view and thus end up being better at the game ultimately.

It's especially true in rally games like the Dirt series.

And i'm definitely not a hardcore driving sim player since i play on keyboard. No gamepad, no wheel, no nothing. Just a keyboard and i'm good.

CaptainDreads

Nov 7, 2017
Until they find a way to look around easier from a cockpit view while driving I will use the behind car camera for more situational awareness.

I just can't get immersed when my "head" is basically locked forward with trying to look around being very awkward.

Nov 4, 2017
Until they find a way to look around easier from a cockpit view while driving I will use the behind car camera for more situational awareness.

I just can't get immersed when my "head" is basically locked forward with trying to look around being very awkward.
As much as I'm not really into VR, it's actually great for this. I did a few laps in GT Sport using PSVR, and it was pretty great to be able to look around the cockpit and at my mirrors just by moving my head.

I sometimes race in cockpit view for fun, but definitely find it too restrictive. I also feel like chase cam gives you a lot more feedback about vehicle position/traction/velocity that you'd normally get from things like gforce, tilt and tactile feedback in real life. I feel like I'm not getting enough information about what the car's doing in bumper or cockpit cam.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Only when I'm playing games that have street traffic. Burnout Revenge conditioned me to jump into cockpit view whenever there was another car coming or going so I could better gauge the distance between us to get score bonuses, or to have an easier time of seeing the tail lights I'm coming up on through that game's relentless bloom.

Oct 25, 2017
Like others have said 1st person driving in VR is amazing and I hope everyone gets a chance to experience this at some point.

Jonny111

Dec 31, 2017
I used hood view in gta 3 so of course I use cockpit in racing titles. Flying through trees in Horizon is so much more fun in cockpit

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
I play racing sims like iRacing/Assetto Corsa on triple screen monitors so anything other than cockpit view is blasphemy in my eyes.

(You can only use a cockpit view in iRacing.)

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Always bumper cam for me. Anything else and I feel so disconnected from the car.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I prefer the view from the top of the car. So the T-Cam in F1 games or the one where you can see the hood for GT cars.

I tried cockpit fairly often but it feels weird because you can't move your head freely.

I only ever use 3rd person in games like f-zero.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
cockpit view sucks on screens. you already see less on a screen than in real life, why would you limit that even further?
in VR it's great

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Cockpit view for sure in sim or sim-like games (gran turismo, forza, etc). The more arcadey it gets, the more the cockpit view sucks because your inputs don't accurately make the car do what it should (Need for speed, burnout, etc)