• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you use a screen protector on your phone?

• Yes & always have

Votes: 281 35.6%
  • Yes, but I didn't before

Votes: 81 10.3%
  • No, but I used to

Votes: 155 19.6%
  • No & never have

Votes: 273 34.6%

• Total voters

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
I've never used a case or screen protector on any of my phones and have never damaged any.

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
My last case had one built in that was eh. (S10e)
Current case does not have on built in (S20) and it's not compatible with applying one (the bezels are too small). So I'll roll with it.
Just hope it stays solid until I trade in for a new one.

My previous phones (iphone 3g/4/galaxy 6 active) I've all dropped and cracked.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Nope, Xiaomi actually said not to or it would interfere with the on-screen fingerprint sensor. I don't use that sensor any more but I still don't use a screen protector. I've had my Mi 9 for over two years now and it has one scratch on it that I can see, it's small and doesn't bother me as it doesn't show up much.

I drop my phone far too much for my own comfort but no drop has been damaging yet - the scratch came from when I mistakenly put my keys into the same pocket as the phone was in.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
I had one on my last phone, but my current one has rounded edges (Oneplus 7 Pro) and screen protectors look really weird on it

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Before I even left the store. To this day I've never had a broken screen, scratched screen, or damaged phone because I always use a protector and case.
To counter you, I've owned an iPhone since the first one in 2007 and have never used a screen protector and rarely use a case. I've also never had any damage or issues for some reason.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I keep my iPhone in the same pocket as my keys.

I place it face down on concrete.

I've spilled and dropped stuff on it, and have dropped the phone itself plenty of times.

In, like, 10 iphones, I've only damaged one. Protectors are a waste of money.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I use to not cause I was semi lazy and I always sucked at putting them on. Wife got me to do it though as she's good at getting them on smooth with no bubbles.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I keep my iPhone in the same pocket as my keys.

I place it face down on concrete.

I've spilled and dropped stuff on it, and have dropped the phone itself plenty of times.

In, like, 10 iphones, I've only damaged one. Protectors are a waste of money.

I don't believe you. Keys could easily scratch all iPhone screens until a couple years ago.

Last edited:

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
No the screen has all this engineering that goes into it. Why would I cover it up with a far less engineered layer?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My phone is in a case which is also my wallet but no like, screen protector.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
No I haven't, but my Pixel 4a 5G is the first time I've seen lots of scratches on my screen. Might be because I got a house and the keys in my pocket scratch it up. Previously I had a keyfob for my door at the apartment and my car keyfob, no sharp metal..

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I did for a while, but stopped using them about 4 years ago just to take the risk. I've had no issues despite dropping my phone several times and it rubbing up on stuff in my pockets over the years.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using tempered glass on my S10 plus and went through a few already, so seems like I probably need them. Maybe the tempered glass is weaker than the gorilla glass though.

It's a shame that the only type I can find for it now uses liquid glue that's cured with UV light - the end result is great if all goes well, but my first attempt got some glue in one of the speakers. Still mostly works but slightly muffled, could have been worse I guess.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I see some of you guys like to live dangerously.

I just got that too. I bought this:

TAURI 2 Pack Flexible TPU Film Screen

cX2gQVg.png

Has this little lego piece that sticks into the usb charging slot to make the application easier. I've only had it on for like two days but so far so good. Fingerprint sensor working pretty much as usual, no cut-out like some of the others do but it's only film, not tempered glass. Read some reviews saying it moves around after 2 weeks. Also the thing that sticks on the lenses on the back makes bright light sources spread out a bit too much so I took it off.

Case I got was the Spiegen Liquid Air Case - just for the extra grip. It's still a top heavy phone and is taking me a while to get used to with one-handed use when you need to slide it down to tap something near the top, though there is a one-handed mode but you can't scale the new screen area.

If I had a nice iphone I'd probably get those saphire screen protectors but they are pricey.

Are you having trouble getting used to the volume keys being on the right side? Or has that been standard for a while?

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
No. My case covers the edge of the screen, so the screen shouldn't ever touch the ground when it falls. It never has in the past. I found a brand I love.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No, just a TPM case that has enough material around the edges that I feel ok sitting the phone upside down that screen won't touch. Screen protectors don't hurt or anything but the things they realistically can help with are such a limited number of cases.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Matte film screen protectors feel so much better than glass - so I like using those; but they don't offer a lot of protection.
I've also tried a polarized glass privacy screen protector, and that was useful, too. It cut down the viewing angle to being very narrow - so it looked like your screen was black or at the dimmest setting outdoors to someone sitting next to you - but that could get annoying when taking photos or shooting video in landscape.

I always fit a new clear glass protector to my family members' devices.
There's only ever been one cracked screen before, but several instances of chipped glass on the screens which makes them feel bad to use.
Without replacing the screen, even just putting a screen protector over the cracked/chipped glass can help, but it's much better to have a cracked/chipped protector than the screen itself.

No. My case covers the edge of the screen, so the screen shouldn't ever touch the ground when it falls. It never has in the past. I found a brand I love.
This does nothing to protect against falling on something like a rock outdoors.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
No. I tried them at one point and just constantly shattered them. Scratches don't bother me.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yeah the tempered glass ones are awesome. No bubbles, feel like regular glass.

I've cracked a few of them that I'm sure would have broken the screens if they weren't there. In one particular incident, I stood up from my car, my phone fell out of my lap in the parking lot, bounced, and landed screen-first against the edge of a parking block. It cracked the protector pretty bad, but when i peeled it off the actual screen was unscathed.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Nope I just put a good case on it. Never had an issue with the screen cracking. I've had some scratches though from shit in my pocket rubbing up against it. That's about it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I get sand in my pocket

I don't believe you. Keys could easily scratch all iPhone screens until a couple years ago.

I dunno what to tell you. I treat a phone like a tool and have for like a decade now. I don't CARE if it gets scratched or dinged - I'm not gonna baby it. But all the way up until a few years ago when I migrated to the IPhone Upgrade Plan, I never had any issues with carrier trade-ins or GameStop trade ins or selling on Swappa. I'm not saying the screens were mint, but they definitely weren't cracked and at worst there were some slightly more-severe-than-hairlines scratches that didn't cause issues when the screen was on and did not hurt my payday for the next phone.

Apple has given me zero issues on the iPhone Upgrade Plan, either - except for the one time I admitted I did crack my phone; but that was 100% my fault, reasonable (it fell down stairs) and there's no way a screen protector would have helped.

EDIT: full disclosure I did use a screen protector with my launch day first gen iPhone because at the time it was crazy expensive and no one knew better.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you having trouble getting used to the volume keys being on the right side? Or has that been standard for a while?

My last phone was ancient, volume on the left and it hasn't really been a big deal. I just tap the closest one and then use the slider.

I do use the quick access side bar thing so I just put it where the volume bars are to see them easier.

The phone is giving my hand a workout though not going to lie.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno what to tell you. I treat a phone like a tool and have for like a decade now. I don't CARE if it gets scratched or dinged - I'm not gonna baby it. But all the way up until a few years ago when I migrated to the IPhone Upgrade Plan, I never had any issues with carrier trade-ins or GameStop trade ins or selling on Swappa. I'm not saying the screens were mint, but they definitely weren't cracked and at worst there were some slightly more-severe-than-hairlines scratches that didn't cause issues when the screen was on and did not hurt my payday for the next phone.

Apple has given me zero issues on the iPhone Upgrade Plan, either - except for the one time I admitted I did crack my phone; but that was 100% my fault, reasonable (it fell down stairs) and there's no way a screen protector would have helped.

There's actually a good chance it would have.
I had a case on the back of one of my phones with a lip that extended past the screen a bit. I also had a glass protector on the screen itself. I dropped that phone flat on the pavement, screen down. Normally the lip would have completely protected the screen, but it landed right on top of a rock.
The glass protector shattered and the screen glass didn't. They were exactly the same glass type, too.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
I used to. Samsung started curving their screens and tempered glass ones ended up being hard to find, expensive, or even nonexistent.

My s10 came with a plastic one, it eventually curled off on the edge and I've gone naked. Outside of the screen getting smudged on a daily basis, it's been fine for over a year now

amazon had alot of them. My s8 one has been amazing. 4th one so far.

Ant78

Oct 27, 2017
I've only had a screen protector on one of my phones, and ironically that's the only one I cracked the screen on when I dropped it on a tile floor.

The glass they use these days is damn near unscratchable and I don't think they're necessary. I've yet to scratch a screen on any of my Android phones in the past 11+ years. I keep it in my pocket all day, use it as a flashlight at work, and I'm not super careful with it and my S10e looks practically new despite being over 2 years old.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never used a screen protector because human fingernails are not harder than glass.

Screen protectors are only useful on devices with plastic screens, like the Switch.

Tanaka

Oct 27, 2017
I have a phone case built like a tank with a built in screen protector because I'm clumsy as fuck and drop my phone at least once a day.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, just a pretty standard basic gel case because I would drop those slick phones so hard. I don't need a bit of plastic to get between my finger and the main use. A few scratches don't bother too much and I take care of my stuff mostly so pretty happy without one.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I find screens to be plenty resistant now so I don't bother. Still use a case though as I find phones too awkward and slippery otherwise.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Tempered glass screen protector is probably THE reason why I haven't cracked my actual screen yet.

(Don't mean to drop the damn thing but it happens)