• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Wondering if it was worth the investment, i have so much lag in some games, other run really well, cant really understand , ive tried port forward, changing isp 3 times already, maybe a custom router from asus with a vpn in it would help?

Sorry if the topic isnt worth it but i dont wanna spend some cash on a good router to get even more regret eheh, thank you all.

Deleted member 44122

surely a vpn would only add more lag? cant your current router add a custom vpn?
(not that it helps you since its mainly a german brand but) im using a "fritzbox", its pretty popular over here and basically has every function you could ever wish for

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, just your regular ass netgear router where my TV, PC and other stuff is connected to. Never had to do any ports or ISP stuff nor had any problems with online games.

Some games are more sensitive when it comes to NAT though, I remember enabling some ports for them.

Oct 27, 2017
I did recently get a fancy Asus router because the wifi speeds in my apartment were like sub 10mbps outside of the office room where my old router was. It pushed them up to 70mbps throughout so I'd say it was the right move for me.

OP
OP

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
surely a vpn would only add more lag? cant your current router add a custom vpn?
(not that it helps you since its mainly a german brand but) im using a "fritzbox", its pretty popular over here and basically has every function you could ever wish for
A vpn adds more lag? I always tought they drived your connection to privatr servers to a more fast end destination, if its the other way around im doomed.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If you have multiple devices (or people) using the same router at the same time , then a good router will be more stable.

Also, if you use WiFi for your gaming, then you will open the door to better chipsets, faster speeds and more frequent firmware updates than your ISP provide cheap thing

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I play a football game (pes 2021) and i have huge lag even playing against a neighboor, than i go play street fighter v against a japanese(im from Portugal) and it runs smooth, i cant really compreend.
from my understanding even if you're playing against someone that lives next door to you, you will still connect to a remote server that will handle certain aspects of the game/connection so the other player's location might be misleading if for example PES 21 has a server that is far away from the both of you. might be wrong though.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Currently attempting to migrate my connection over to an EdgeRouter X with Ubiquiti access points, but never seem to find the time to have the internet down to fit it.

Maybe over Christmas.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
I use the "Turris Omnia" Router.
It's a good one, especially if your are a nerd and want to play around in the configs.
I use it wirelessly. On my desktop, I use an older AC-capable router as a 5GhZ receiver (Actually, it's set up as a bridge) and connect that one via ethernet to my PC. I get close to max bandwidth (1 Gigabit) via wireless and my latency in most games is usually around 10ms if connecting to a close server. You can easily play fighting games with this setup.

OP
OP

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Wired or wireless connection?
Always wired, cant even imagine how it runs on wireless.
If you have multiple devices (or people) using the same router at the same time , then a good router will be more stable.

Also, if you use WiFi for your gaming, then you will open the door to better chipsets, faster speeds and more frequent firmware updates than your ISP provide cheap thing

Usually its just me using the interner, its during the day when im alone at home.
Not sure if i understand you, its better to use wifi?
from my understanding even if you're playing against someone that lives next door to you, you will still connect to a remote server that will handle certain aspects of the game/connection so the other player's location might be misleading if for example PES 21 has a server that is far away from the both of you. might be wrong though.
I understand that, in that game, my opponent always seem to have better connection than me, but the general experience its just awfull and very demotivational since pes is my go to game online, and its the only one who runs very bad.

Really tempted to use a custom router, what you guys think?

Deleted member 28962

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Try disabling all the extra features on your router like QoS; some routers will enable packet hardware acceleration when there are no extra features enabled.

I doubt getting a new router will fix your issues but if you must get one you should get this one.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Usually its just me using the interner, its during the day when im alone at home.

No, he just meant that new routers have better wifi chipsets that equal better wireless speeds, more stable connections and those things still get regular updates. Wired is still the way to go.

Also if you're playing on console or using a TV, I'd double check it's in Game Mode and every picture processing nonsense is disabled. The input lag they produce make online gaming hell. Yours could also be a NAT problem, check that your router supports UPnP and that it's enabled in the configuration.

And yes, using VPN adds latency.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I would not be able to configure a router if the life of my three children depended on it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
L

Wired all the way! I just meant that it is even more beneficial if you do have to use WiFi (some people have no choice)

OP
OP

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Try disabling all the extra features on your router like QoS; some routers will enable packet hardware acceleration when there are no extra features enabled.

I doubt getting a new router will fix your issues but if you must get one you should get this one.

Gonna check out my router settings but i dont remember seeing a Qos option.

No, he just meant that new routers have better wifi chipsets that equal better wireless speeds, more stable connections and those things still get regular updates. Wired is still the way to go.

Also if you're playing on console or using a TV, I'd double check it's in Game Mode and every picture processing nonsense is disabled. The input lag they produce make online gaming hell. Yours could also be a NAT problem, check that your router supports UPnP and that it's enabled in the configuration.

And yes, using VPN adds latency.
Gaming tv options are good cause theres only a small amount of games i have problems and even those games only have input lag online.
Really didnt know that vpn added lag, tought it was the oposite.