• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you upgrade your tech every year?

• Yes

Votes: 21 4.6%
  • Every other year

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • Every 2 Years

Votes: 80 17.4%
  • every 5 years

Votes: 196 42.7%
  • other

Votes: 146 31.8%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why people upgrade their phones or buy a new one every year for a few new features.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People have money, that's why.

FOMO, straight up "I really need that new camera", there are a thousand reasons.

PS: I'm not saying they're right.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Not really, no. Unless it breaks or stops working and I don't have the time and money to fix it myself.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hell no, do I look like I'm made of money?

Every five years unless something breaks or I find a good deal.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends. If a new upgrade really appeals to me I'll buy it. I upgraded my phone in 2016, 2017, 2017 again, 2019, 2019 again and I think I'm good for a while now. Got two Apple Watches in one year because the S4 was a huge change. Got a Xbox One X in March and now I traded it in for a Series X. Meanwhile, haven't changed my MacBook Pro since 2015.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nope

Car: 15-20 years
Phone: 4-5 years
Computer: 6-7 years
Game consoles: 5-7 years

^ These are averages because.....

My first car (Toyota Camry 1996) which my dad used and then handed to me - lasted until 2018 when we sold it. 22 years.

My first gaming PC (from 2010) lasted until this year (2020). 10 years.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
fuck nah, im broke as shit

my iphone 6s plus will last me another 5 years

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you're talking about.
PC I upgrade fully every 9-10 years. GPU I'll upgrade every 3-5 years.
phone, I'll upgrade every 5 years.
TV I'll upgrade every 5-10 years
Game consoles depends some I get at launch so 7ish years or some I don't and I'll wait a year or when I feel an upgraded variant will be launched.
Car - every 7-9 years

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
empty-pockets-man.jpeg

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
In general I upgraded my tech often, I tend to not spend extra money on other things and tech is what I enjoy messing with so I it's what I do spend money or time on.

I never understood the need for others to understand what you decide to spend money on.

What I eat won't make you shit in other words, not just you specifically but anyone in general who judges how others spend their time or money unless it affects them.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I usually go 3-4 years on a phone and then everything else just when the old thing breaks and not worth repairing. I will never replace a perfectly functioning piece of equipment just because something new and shiny came out, I view that as a waste of money and actual resources.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Phones: 4-5 years
PC CPU/RAM: 5-6 years
PC GPU: 6-7 years
TV: 10-12 years
Car: 12-15 years

Generally when things break or there is massive must-have thing comes along.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to, because I used to always hate my fucking phone by around the 1 year on mark or break my phone through some stupid action if it was one i liked.

last year i bought a Google Pixel 4 XL and dont feel the urge this year for the first time.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, usually.

Certainly don't need it. But if I can swing it, of course I'd rather have a newer phone with all the new features and better battery, etc. Yes, of course I'd rather have a faster computer from today than an old rig I'm turning down settings left and right. Tech certainly isn't moving at nearly the rate it once was in forcing obsolescence. But there's still a lot of REALLY neat stuff coming out semi-regularly.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Phone: 3 years
PC: 5-6 years
TV: 8 years

Everything else, it's when the old thing stops working how I need it to, or the new thing is just that good of a deal. Game consoles, it's just whenever the new gen is out and how quickly I wanna jump onboard. If there's an updated version, I'll atleast consider how much of a boost I'd be getting.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Some things yes, some things no. Especially now, everything is in flux due to the inbetween levels of technology we're in. The last time my phone and GPU were upgraded was in 2018; I swapped out my processor in 18 and this year, I bought a car last year, and my TV's are roughly 7 years old by now, appliances are older.

Car is staying, appliances are staying, and I plan on getting an RTX card next year. TVs are due for an upgrade though since the backlights are going out.

Depending on how the next Galaxy S phone turns out, I'm buying it next year and the year after since that seems to be when we'll be done with notches and hole punches.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Mostly when stuff breaks or pretty outdated. Outdated like say, consoles having lasted the generation and ready to move on for huge system QOL improvements and game enhancements. But most other stuff happens when it breaks like say Mouse, Phone, PC, Headphones etc. I've realized it's absolutely pointless spending on iterations like I used to do with PC upgrades. Phones same, I use it until I die, new phones sounds tempting but functionally, all the same in the end, haven't really noticed anything significant that would warrant the kind of spending.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Nah not really. Even phones are like every 3 years or longer for me. Usually only upgrade if I'm having a problem.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I was replacing my Android phone at least every two years because it felt like they just melted like 1.5 years into existing but I'm hoping to hold onto my current phone for as long as possible. I usually go 5-8 years between major PC upgrades, just bit the bullet on a new build and got everything but a new GPU up and running. Just need to find a 3080 and I'll be set for a while.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Car: ~3 years, going to buy my next one for the long term though. Had a few leases and cheap cars that died in the past decade.
Phone: ~3 years, which is about the time they've lasted for me until breaking. Last optional upgrade was a blackberry curve -> Nexus 5.
Computer: 6 years, ish. Don't see myself building any more gaming PCs, just replaced my desktop with a Mini PC.
Game consoles: Once per gen. Buying the new ones at launch this year, won't probably replace them unless the mid-gen refresh is ridiculous this time around

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I am going to upgrade my watch from Series 5 to 6, but other than that there is almost always 2 or more years between tech upgrades for me.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, probably about every five or so years. I'm still using an iPhone 6S and it's still plenty fast enough for me so I see no reason to upgrade for the newest iPhone. When it starts to slow down and get serious problems that affect my daily use then I'll upgrade.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
About 5-7 years for my TV, PC, and consoles. My phone is like every 2 years.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Phone every 2 to 3 years. Other than that... whenever. My PC is still running an intel 2600k I bought 9 years ago. The ram, power supply, case and some other parts are just as old. Graphics card and mother board died at some point so they've been replaced. Last iPad I bought was an iPad 3. I just bought my first ever apple watch last month. My car is 10 years old now. I bought a TV maybe three years ago but it's still fine (LG 4K). Any house appliance will get used till they die.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
I usually upgrade my iPhone every 2 years. I couldn't stay on the same phone for 5 years. 3 years was the longest I've ever went without upgrading. Don't think I could do that again

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
My OG Pixel XL was perfectly fine until I let my son start playing with it. Finally cracked the screen
Was in no rush before that

My work phone is a blackberry priv
lol

still content with 6700k/1070

car paid off. tvs are fine

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Used to get new phone every 2 years when they do contract. Now as long as possible.

kingsamj

Oct 25, 2017
I try to keep my phones as long as possible, but usually the battery starts to require a lot of micromanagement after around 3 years and I upgrade. I've upgraded my gaming PC maybe once since 2010?

Electronic waste is an issue that bothers me a lot, so I don't like upgrading frivolously. It sucks, because electronics companies definitely try their hardest to make their products impossible to repair or reuse.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
It depends.

Phone: yearly
Watch: random
Tablet: I've had an iPad Mini since it was released and it's still great
MacBook: every ~5 years
Nintendo: whenever there is a new device/revision
Xbox/PS*/PC: whenever there is a game I want to play which requires the system

I was going to go into smart devices, cameras, etc but decided to leave it at that. My surprisingly favourite recent "tech" purchase is actually a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Phone : once it starts breaking down or slows to a halt lol

Gaming consoles - Get them all each generation

PC - Every few years. Itching for a potential full upgrade next year
TV- Been running the ks8000 since it came out. Thinking of upgrading to a high end tv next year. So maybe every 5 years?

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
I get a new iPhone and MacBook Pro every single year. Other tech I'll upgrade whenever it just feels right.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Fuck no. I don't upgrade until something breaks. I've had the same 1080p TV since 2010 and had an iPhone 5 until March of this year when I only got a X S.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
I upgrade pretty often, but selling things to contribute to the value of the new purchase makes it sustainable. Apple products hold their value extremely well.

iPhone I upgrade every year.

MacBook every 4 years or so. I'm probably going to make an exception and get the Apple Silicon MacBook even though I have a 2018 MacBook.

Gaming Console...I typically get the new one each generation so every 5-7 years. I'm a Sony & Nintendo gamer.

TV...only when there's a major shift in location and it's needed. I'm 29 and I've moved 4 times in the past 3 years, moving TVs isn't easy. Fiance and I are finally settled in at our current location for a few years, we're gonna be getting a 77" LG CX that we plan to have until at least the latter half of this decade.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I think I ultimately get more pleasure out of feeling I got a good life and value out of a device, than I would from incremental year-over-year upgrades and the novelty of new purchases—and the latter feels wasteful in more ways than one.

I don't really have a set schedule for things necessarily—I'll usually wait for a meaningful upgrade, changed needs, or just for something to wear out, depending on my own priorities with each type of device. My current phone and GPU have each lasted four years, and I want to replace them now. My TV is a 7-year-old 1080p plasma, and it's taken until now as well to want to upgrade that whole setup to 4K/HDR/OLED.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Definitely not.

- My phone is just over two years old, and I only got that because the one before, which I had had for just over three years was going bad. It's going as good as the day I bought it.
- I got a new TV this summer, replacing the 720p one which I bought in 2008.
- My computer I built in 2013 and all I've done with that is add a couple of extra hard drives and reapply thermal paste.
- The newest games console I have is a Switch that I bought at launch. Last PS and Xbox is PS3 and 360, with no plans to buy any others.
- My camera is a Canon 60D from 2013/14.
- And my watch is a Casio, I'm not sure upgrading is a thing you do with those.

I like having things for a long time and being pleased with how they're lasting. I get more joy that way.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I used to upgrade my phone every 18ish months, but at some point about 4ish years ago some combination of wanting to be a little more frugal and diminishing returns, I haven't since. I do upgrade my computer about every two years though...so I'm not consistent, lol.