• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you turn them off to recharge?

• Yes

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 190 77.6%
  • I use my device while it's charging

Votes: 37 15.1%
  • Sometoimes off, sometimes on

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • I obssessively charge after any battery drop

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • My devices are permanently hooked to a charger

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I turn my devices off to charge because they charge faster and it avoids a parasitic charge/discharge cycle which can happen if a device is on or in use while charging.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Sometimes off, depends on the device though/if I'm using it.

If I'm not going to be using a laptop I'd shut it down to charge, but my phone is my alarm so it doesn't get shutdown.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You should not have a blanket poll option for both laptops and cell phones. Many people don't unplug their laptops much but won't use the phone while it's charging.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
My phone charges from 1% to 100% in 20 minutes with the power of the warp.

The moment it hits critical I charge it and leave it on

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
My phone is my alarm clock if I turned it off while I charged it overnight I'd be screwed.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
No...at most i may put my ipad in airplane mode to turn off the radios to charge faster, or give me the illusion of faster charging

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I never turn my phone off. It gets charged overnight on a MagSafe charger, and I pick it up again in the morning.

I always turn my laptop off at the end of the day. 90% of the time these days it's permanently plugged in and running off mains power anyway, but when I'm out for meetings / travel, it gets turned off before being put on to charge.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
If I need it to charge faster (i.e. I only have 30 min or less before I need to head out), yes I turn it off.

Nov 4, 2017
My phone has a 5000mAH battery. It will stop getting security updates long before battery life becomes an issue. It's already over a year old and I only have to charge every second day (I can get to a third if I'm not using it much, but I try to avoid doing this). I usually just have the device locked while charging. Powering it off completely to charge seems like way too big a convenience for a marginal, unnoticeable benefit. I do the same with my tablet.

Laptop is just off and on the charger whenever I am not using it.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I have bigger problems with my Oneplus. The charging cord won't stay on the charging port. Hopefully Oneplus could repair that when I send it in for other repairs.

Jul 1, 2020
It depends on when the battery gets low. I will either use it while charging, do something else while it's charging or if it won't last the day or charge it overnight if it will last through the day.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I just plug my phone in when I go to bed. It usually lasts the whole day.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm never in a situation where I'd need to min/max my phones battery charge habits. I charge it at night and if my battery is getting low in the afternoon I have a charger near my side of the couch so I plug it in while I'm using it. If I'm driving around there's a charger in the car. If I'm in a situation outside where I may need to be using my phone all day while I'm out and about I'll simply plan ahead and bring a battery with me.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Let it self regulate over night the devices aren't that dumb nowadays. I don't use fast charging on purpose.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, unless I'm at like 1% or something, but with quick charging it's a little less important. There used to be devices that wouldn't charge unless they were turned on. I'm sure I had a phone like that at some point in the last 15 years.

I usually have more than a full day charge, plug it in at ngiht.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so weird about charging devices here lol
According to the poll, they're not?
Turn them off to charge? Why would you do that?
I think it can extend the life of your phone if it is not being used while it is charging. Not sure how much it matters if it is just asleep while charging, but there are ways you can change your charging habits that will extend the life of your batteries.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Only time my device is off is when I didn't get to a charger in time. Phone just sits on a charge pad at night or is jacked into the car when on the road.

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
I usually let it sleep when it's charging.
For a while I used to have my phone plugged in charging while I'm grinding in a mobile game, but the last two phones I had ended up developing battery swelling so I'm super careful about not using it too much when it's charging. Not sure if it was really bad luck twice or my gaming habit. I'm still hesitant to let it charge overnight too.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I have bigger problems with my Oneplus. The charging cord won't stay on the charging port. Hopefully Oneplus could repair that when I send it in for other repairs.
i had a similar issue since getting a phone with usb c. try cleaning the port out. i did that and it fixed my issue with cord not staying inside or engaging fast charge. a small plastic brush will do. usb c is kind of a shit connector

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I have my phone at night go into a routine though. Basically puts it in power saving mode and turns off super fast and fast charge while I sleep.