• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you turn off your PC?

• Yes, every night

Votes: 765 62.1%
  • Yes, every week or so

Votes: 89 7.2%
  • No, only when my computer forces me to

Votes: 377 30.6%

• Total voters

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I turn it off whenever I'm not using it. There's no reason to leave it on, and it takes maybe 10 seconds to fully boot up.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I rarely shut down my PC, it is really quiet and uses very little electricity so I don't see the point unless I'am leaving the house for an extended amount of time.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
every night since it's in the room where i sleep and the noise would drive me insane.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My PC gets turned off every night. My laptops are a different story...

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
My PC sleeps when I'm at work and asleep, it's more for the longevity of my intense amount of rgb than actual power consumption concerns.

I've also had issues with windows just not bothering with my screen saver/monitor power settings, and I've had some experience with desk top burn in on displays before.

Oct 25, 2017
Used to put it into sleep mode but my Razor mouse wakes it randomly so I just turn it off now. There is hardly any difference with a SSD.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I always shut it off, even when I had an HDD. I prefer to wait the couple of minutes for it to boot than pay extra in my electricity bill.
The problem was rendered moot when I installed an SSD Nvme last week, though. If I'm not using it, my laptop's turned off.

Jun 20, 2018
I used an iMac for years and would leave it running all day, and put it to sleep at night. Got a new PC in March and it just gets turned on when it's needed. The couple of times I've tried to put it to sleep, it's not really come back on properly, so won't be doing that again.

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
I always turn mine off whenever I'm not using it. Seems pretty pointless as boot times are fast and browsers like Chrome reopen your tabs upon startup.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Most nights I turn it off. Sometimes leave it on if I'm working on something and want to jump right into it the next day.

Will turn off at the mains if I'm away for a few days. Didn't used to, but I guess the idea grew on me for safety/trickle energy.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
My personal computer? All the time.

My work computer? Rarely. I often leave work open that I intend to resume.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
My Gaming tower's power supply draws more power than any other thing in the house, and I'm too lazy to measure how much it draws when Windows is asleep, so I shut it off the 23 hours a day I'm not using it.

All of my Macs stay up all day / forever though

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Every single day when i go to work or to bed, unless it had to spend the night (or the day) downloading something.

Components degrade over time when in use. There's no point letting them work for nothing when i'm not even awake or home.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I turn it off daily, of course. With an SSD shit takes no time to turn on, it's a waste of energy to let it on all the time.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
My gaming pc is always off unless I'm using it or it's downloading something. I have a Samsung NVME SSD so it boots up before the monitor screen is even on. Turning it off is no problem.

My Mac mini I leave on because it's my computer that I use for work but I've started turning it off once a week when I'm done with work before my day off.

Laptops are always on but closed, I charge them periodically to make sure they're topped up. They get turned off probably when updated but they're not used very often

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It takes like 5 seconds for my PC to start up. I turn it off any time I'm done with whatever task I am using it for.
Yup. 5-7 second boot times and it is almost like it was waking from sleep anyway how fast it is (relative to HDD setups).

I have two m.2 drives and they are fast as heck. My OS is on one and I want for nothing.

Y'all that don't have even a cheap SSD on on your home devices, you should look into getting one. Just use it for your OS.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't get people who never turn it off. Hibernate is okay obviously, but not turning it off at all!? Get a raspberry if you need a server. It needs to be your PC? Setup WoL and you can boot it from anywhere if you need remote access. Get a SSD if you hate long boot times.

You save so much energy and do a tiny bit for this poor planet.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I turn it off every night before bed

Thankfully I don't have to deal with a 5400RPM hard drive anymore so it's not really that much work to press the button and wait the 3 seconds it takes to turn on while I brush my teeth in the morning

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
every night.

used to do it at work too despite most of my collegues leaving it running 24h..had to start doing it myself because of covid and WFH though

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
My PC is our plex server so it's always on unless it literally can't be. I have power saving measures in place for my system, to the extent that I can. That said, lately I've had my PC setup to fold for covid stuff when idle. Might as well put that 2080 to good use for the sake of the world. CPU doesn't contribute, because compared to a GPU it's just not worth the heat it generates.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
My Mac (mini) never, because it acts as a server and fulfills other functions that need to be running 24/7 (no, a Raspi doesn't cut it). My gaming PC is getting turned off after each session tho.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't turned it off off for years other than when I go on holiday. Restart for updates if it didn't do it at night and err yea otherwise it's always just on.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
I reboot my Mac every Friday because something about my workflow creates a ton of temp files that fills up my drive that I haven't pinned down yet, and that clears it out. If I didn't have that problem I'd never reboot or shut down.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I am proud of the many people in this thread doing what little they can for the environment.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Every night or even I'm going to be away for an extended period of time. The lights kinda annoy me and conserving power is nice. Plus I'm on an SSD so it takes about... five seconds to boot up.

Ian UK

Jul 3, 2018
I rarely turn off my Laptop (MBP), just cause. I did with my old windows laptop though as it didn't like going into standby when the lid was shut.

I always turn off my computer unless downloading something big. Leaving it on to save a few seconds seems very excessive.

Last edited:

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Keep it on so updates can run and install. And with battery backups no real worry about surges or outages.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Daily, just because I have my work laptop hooked to the same dual monitor setup as my personal pc, and if my personal "wakes up" for some random reason, it might screw with my monitors and I'll have to spend a few minutes rebooting.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
So I've got a laptop and a Plex media server I basically never turn off. I will do so occasionally to install updates. Surprisingly it doesn't raise the electric that much. Those are not my normal machines I do things on though. I normally turn off my normal machines everyday when I'm done with them unless downloading something large.

I'm of the opinion that you need to turn your machine off every once in a while at least. It's especially important for updates if you like to keep your machine up to date, speaking as a Windows user anyways.

I've also had enough strange issues occur to me and in my job where a restart has resolved them that I'm sure that influences my opinion on turning off PC's.

Oct 27, 2017
I usually put it into sleep mode.

Lately I've had an issue, it goes into sleep mode, doesn't come back on. If I restart it from sleep mode, it comes back like it woke up from sleep mode with all my programs loaded, but internet doesn't work at all until I restart the pc again.

I have to figure out the issue so I can go back to putting my pc to sleep, but until then I just turn it off when I'm done

-Inertia

Oct 27, 2017
My main PC, sometimes. My secondary PC which I more or less just use as a hypervisor/NAS server, I leave that on 24x7

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It boots to being usable in under 10 seconds so I turn it off whenever it's not actively being used. No reason not to.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I turn my home PC off when it makes me, because it's also my media center and I don't want to have to go through starting it back up when I want to watch a TV show or a movie.

My work laptop is really slow to boot up, but also freaks out if I leave it on too long. I usually turn it off when I leave work on Friday and turn it back on Monday morning.