• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you turn off your PC?

• Yes, every night

Votes: 765 62.1%
  • Yes, every week or so

Votes: 89 7.2%
  • No, only when my computer forces me to

Votes: 377 30.6%

• Total voters

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Question that I've always seen mixed responses on, how often do you turn off your PC? I myself pretty much never turn off my PC unless absolutely required to for updates and what not. When I was a wee lad I'd turn my PC off every night, but after years of failures I'm always scared when I turn off my PC that it'll never turn back on. What about you?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
only for maintenance and upgrades, i use my computer for everything so i dont see the point

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The only times I actually turn my PC off is when W10 decides to fall apart and I absolutely have to restart.

I do not have that problem with Linux.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Every day. Mainly because it's in the same room as me and the various lights would drive me insane.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
With boot times taking seconds, all of my computers are powered off when not in use.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I leave the house or go to sleep. It's got an SSD and takes about 5 seconds to boot so it's not a huge deal. If I still had my OS on a HDD though, I'd probably only turn it off at night

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just bought a new computer, ssd, ryzen 3600, 2070, and i have no idea if i should close it each night or not

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
When I'm not using it, I always turn it off. Waste of power. And it's not like modern boot times are that bad. I don't even have an SSD and it only takes a minute.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I never turn mine off unless I need/am forced to. Even when I am traveling, I like being able to remote into it if I need to.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every night, yeah. I also almost never use the sleep mode on my consoles.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I used to never turn it off but rather just put it to sleep when I wasn't using it. Lately there's been some weird issue where when I put it to sleep, it might randomly turn on without my doing anything. Because of that happening, I've had to turn it off when I go to bed each night.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I just close my laptop when I'm finished and it goes to sleep. The only time I touch the power settings is to reboot for software updates.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
My usual habit is to pop my PC into hibernation mode while doing a full shut-down or restart when necessary. My tablet I just close and keep on sleep mode though

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I only ever restart for updates. Sleep mode 99% of the time when I'm not using it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I turn my PC off when I leave home and when I sleep, unless I'm downloading something big which will take several hours.

I never turn off my NAS though, obviously.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waste of electricity, costing you and the planet. Turn that shit off.

I use Raspberry Pis now for any 24/7 server function, especially Pi Zeros which use tiny amounts of power.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
My personal PC I turn off every night because it is a bit noisy with the large fans and has some internal lights with a see through case that lights up the room too much that it bothers me when I try to sleep (bedroom is across the hall from office). My work laptop I only turn off on the weekends.

Sep 14, 2019
Won't your electric bill go up significantly?

I'm genuinely asking.

I've thought about leaving my Mac on with that Fliq app or whatever it's called.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
On then off. I out to sleep if I'm leaving it to download something or intend to return within the next hour or so. With a basic SSD it boots up within like 10 seconds away.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Only just coming to terms with leaving my NAS on all the time. I turn the PC off, generally, or hibernate it if I'm coming and going.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sleep, if i remember to do it. It's supposed to do that itself after a while but rarely seems to.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
i have a 2014 macbook that i usually leave on cause im downloading something in the background. otherwise i put it on sleep. no need to turn it off.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Any time I'm not actively using it for more than 5 hours, I'm not wasting that much electricity plus there is absolutely no way I'd be able to sleep if Windows decided to randomly spin up the secondary mechanical drive in there (it's noisy af, you can hear it through the office wall).

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I have it sleep after a certain amount of inactivity, and usually manually have it sleep when I'm done with it for the night. Good enough power-wise, I think. Going through a full boot every day and having to restore all my state would be too annoying. I'll turn it off entirely if I'm going on a trip or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Lately I turn off my home PC when the work day starts, i keep it folding@home all night so it gets quite warm and I give it a break then turn back on later

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
This baby is rarely off. Though now that I think about it with internet speeds these days there is little reason for me to keep it on and it is mostly done out of habit at this point.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
It takes like 5 seconds for my PC to start up. I turn it off any time I'm done with whatever task I am using it for.