• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you use all your party members?

• Yes, I try to balance using all of them

Votes: 163 43.8%
  • No, I have a core team that I use exclusively.

Votes: 209 56.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I play a jrpg, I try to make sure I regularly rotate my party to give each character equal use, even if I tend to usually have favorites. Part of this is due to me getting burned 1 too many times in games where my main party gets wiped and I have to use my shitty underleveled reserves, though this isn't really a problem anymore with recent games.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I typically stick to a core team, I don't like to micromanage my team too much and it incentivizes replays to try other teams.

Oct 27, 2017
I do this for any RPG unless the characters are actively detrimental. I figure if they are in there then there must be some kind of use for them do it's worth seeing how I can use them.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I have a core team unless I know there is a multi team event like FF6 or FF8.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I will never, ever, ever, ever use the annoying child character if I'm not forced to by the plot.

I abandoned Peppita on an exploding moonbase in Star Ocean 3.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Ideally yes but games sometimes have too many characters and characters not always too useful, sometimes they just get benched for an entire game.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
I try to use every member every once in a while but when shit hits the fan, like a hard dungeon , I have my core group

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'll usually try everyone out a few times but I gravitate back to my main group after.

Except for Chrono Cross, where I just didn't care about a bunch of them and/or they looked stupid.

On the other hand, I like everyone in Chrono Trigger but once I have access to them my party will never not be Crono, Frog, and Ayla.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I use everyone. Trying out new character abilities and various mechanics is what I find fun in RPGs.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Try to stick to a core team on first playthrough. If I replay the game then mix it.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Like I already know that i'm going to be playing as Kisara exclusively once she's in my party in Tales of Arise.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm too lazy to invest on building every character, tho i may change party members sometimes if exp is shared equally. But even then i mostly don't want to try learning another character after being used to the first 3/4.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I try to use all of them so as not to reach a point where I have to use some that I have not leveled up and pay the consequences.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I bench people all the time.

Kimahri? Bench. Quina? Bench. Amarant? Bench. Cait Sith? Bench. Red XIII? Bench. And countless other characters I don't like.

Not even exclusive to JRPG.

Kaiden/Ashley? Bench. Garrus? Bench.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I'll use every party member for at least one mission, but I'll stick to my favorites for the most part.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I try and use every character simply because I have a fear of an upcoming boss where character X who I barely used has an advantage over said boss.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, I stick with one group which always bites me in the ass in games where party members are forcibly swapped.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.
It really bugs me when none party members dont get exp or only get a tiny amount that leaves them useless, ie Persona 3 and 4.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not unless the game asks me to. A lot don't, meaningfully anyway.

May 24, 2019
I try to level everyone just in case the game makes you use them.

edit: Which leaves you with an overleveled leader in a lot of games.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
No one, and I mean no one, in any universe or dimension, has ever ever ever used Kimahri.
Kimahri sucks and is a cool design wastdd on a nothing jobber of a character, but I'm gonna use him on expert grid when I can just have him do whatever with the bonus of not having to look at some of the other losers of the party.

tadabola

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mix up exactly, I do keep my favorites more than the annoying ones. but I do try to vary sometimes, even if the game don't force me to do it.

if its a game with tons of characters and you get nothing to use everyone, I still would do a trial run with everyone

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
I tend to stick to the core team of "main" characters (those i feel are more prominent in the story/are on the cover or similar). This of course means that if the story requires the party to split in two teams I'm usually fucked, 'cause the leftover characters are basically sporting lv1 gear and stats.

I should mention I'm the kind of guy who levels the starter pokemon to death in pokemon games and just forgets everyone else in the roster.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% the type the switch my party up every dungeon. There might be 1 or 2 members that are my anchors but I will ALWAYS try to keep everyone balanced. And if I run into troubles then I can fall back on the core team.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Unless they have mechanics to keep everybody at similar levels, I usually don't want to grind to keep everybody as a viable member of the team. That was why I'd always burn out on the early Pokemon games.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Unless it has tons of usable characters like a Suikoden game, then I rotate a lot and try to use everyone equally. I usually lean on a few characters more than others, but not to any big extent.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I try to use all the characters I like, even some of the worthless scrubs in Suikoden.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Using every character usually requires pointless grinding which provides little to no long term benefit. So no.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I use as many as I can actually put on my active team. In something like FF4 or Dragon Quest 2 you don't really have a choice of swapping characters out (well, you do in FF4, but only at the very end of the game), so in those games I use everyone.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
I like keeping everyone evenly leveled, but inevitably some are going to be favorites and I'm going to try to keep them in the party when possible. I'm running into that issue now in Persona 5 Royal, where I want to keep Ryuji in the party even though the part of me that loves keeping the whole team evenly leveled is like "put Morgana back in the party right now or so help me!"

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using every character usually requires pointless grinding which provides little to no long term benefit. So no.
I've played countless JRPGs and rarely do I find the need to grind while rotating members. You usually get enough currency while playing normally,side questing, and getting loot to keep everyone relatively geared and up to level. Some members will fall behind but that's why I keep one or two members up to speed to always act as an anchor while other members catch up.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If a game doesnt dole out exp to the reserves then Ill spend some time leveling them up before there's a part where they might be needed. Otherwise Ill stick with a core team that I like through as much of the game as I can.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I cycle in characters as they're introduced and switch things up after any major story beat.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I at least try them out. I was in LOVE with Yakuza 7 and went through most of the game, did almost every side quest except the store one, took my time, completed almost everything (except the store) and lo and fucking behold the store is tied to a character and I had no idea.