• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think you make enough money?

• Those fuckers should pay me more.

Votes: 515 62.2%
  • Those fuckers pay me about right.

Votes: 233 28.1%
  • Those fuckers should probably pay me less.

Votes: 80 9.7%

• Total voters

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get a new job, you say?

giphy.gif

Well, in my case I'm a freelancer and indie developer so it's not about what "they" pay me but the market in general being crap because every other freelancer is racing to the bottom.
That does it, I have to finally start watching Always Sunny. Too many good gifs and word of mouth not have watched it yet.

Prof. Booty

Banned
Jan 1, 2020
I feel like I make enough. I try not to look at my pay stubs.
I did today tho.
Around 2 grand ripped away and it hurt.

I would be living like a king if it werent for the tax man!

Sep 28, 2019
I get anywhere from 14 to 20 dollars an hour depending on how good I do. I don't understand how anyone can survive on their own with this wage. The only reason I'm able to is because I still live with my parents. So I definitely don't think I get paid enough.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So because of this thread I checked my pay stub (got paid today) and it was higher than normal.

I thought for sure payroll made a mistake.

Turns out I got a raise I didn't know about. Thanks OP for making me go check!

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I'm underpaid if you look at national averages, but I'm paid very well considering the low cost of living in my area. I was able to pay off my house in less than 4 years.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No, I'm way underpaid. I just fought about my pitiful raise and lost the argument. It's why I'm trying to leave.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Majority of the US is underpaid and exploited, which is why when you compare to the past, we should be making a new minimum of over $20.

I make way less than what I should be paid. Sadly, it hasn't been an employees market for.... decades?

I'm being exploited by my employer, my state, and my federal government. I love paying taxes, but where is my fucking living wage?

e: 15/hr in Northern California.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely overpaid as are most people who make a good living.

Lawyers in other countries are just as skilled as me and work just as hard as me and make far less.

But you can't complain when things are going well.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I don't think I'm paid unfairly, but I also think the company underestimates what I do, and the importance of it to our clients. I wouldn't feel bad if I got a $10k-$20k bump.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very very good, definitely one of the best in the organization (which I've been recognized for), if not the world, but I'm still inexperienced. I'm underpaid compared to my ability but I understand as I haven't even worked there a year yet. Already gotten 1 raise though...

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I probably am overpaid for my experience and education on average, but definitely not my skills and work ethic.

Backend Engineer at a startup.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Underpaid for my skills and experience, but that's public service.

If I transitioned to an in-house gig, I could probably pull in 200-225k, which would be nice.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I'm pretty sure I'm over paid.

...still hate everything about my job and the money is not worth it...

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine anyone saying yes to this question. Either you're poor/middle class and feel you should be making more or you're a rich asshole who isn't satisfied with your 67 million dollar net worth

No, but my parents are being generous with my rent so I'm taking advantage of a good situation.
Aren't you the poster that doesn't believe in jobs since we're all gonna die anyway?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have a pretty good salary at a pretty low-stress job that I get unlimited time off (within some reason). I also live in a pretty low cost of living area, so I'm doing okay. I probably make more than I'm worth.

Oct 25, 2017
The average pay for the same position in my state is 17/hr and we're payed 14. So yeah, going by the market, underpaid.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm a developer (moved internally from QA a few months ago) and my pay is slightly below London's Living Wage.

My answer to the question is yes, I believe they are paying me what I am worth (maybe even more than what I am worth).

I don't think there's any other company out there who would hire as software developer, someone with:
- No degree (College dropout)
- Almost no work experience (This is my first job)
- No portfolio (By the time I moved to the dev department, I had maybe 2-3 months of self-taught Python knowledge)
- No knowledge or previous experience of the programming language being used (Never touched or seen C++ before, I learned/am learning on the job)

Most companies wouldn't even look at my CV for more than 5 seconds, so I'm glad my manager took a gamble with me. My hope is that if I prove my worth, then my salary will increase accordingly; but I guess we'll see in a year or two.
You should take this opportunity to go back to school. it's like I tell some people within my company, you are an engineer here, but without the degree and if you were to be fired, you are not anymore. Also, I have noticed that those are the low hanging fruit in a company that prides itself on degrees. Don't be that fruit.

I've seem many engineers get walked out when it's time to cut headcount that didn't have a degree and it's easier to get promoted and negotiate pay raises. If you don't have one, they will say that you are lucky to be here without a degree.

If school is not for you, then so be it. Get some certifications or something - get some type of papers backing you.

Last edited:

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I am at a level of income now where a little bit more would change virtually nothing, but a little bit less time would be amazing. So I guess I am overpaid in that I would trade current income for more time off. Unfortunately that isnt really an option without sacrificing other benefits.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I might be slightly underpaid but for the most part I think I am fairly paid. It does help that I work for a non-profit and so while we maintain a healthy reserve for leaner times it's not like I feel like Big Corporation is just keeping all the profits to themselves. I could easily go out and get a job paying 20-25% more but the work life balance and work responsibilities wouldn't be worth it to me.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the market (journalism) I get a decent pay, I'd say above average. But salaries have gone down the shitter in the last ~2 decades so...

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm making about half what a person with my qualifications should be making in this area. I'm looking elsewhere at the moment if my company can't come to an arrangement on a promotion track for me.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I currently work for a billion dollar corporation making less a month now than I did when I was 19/20 while having a lot more responsibility... So, yeah.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I could take my skills and walk into another role with less responsibility and get paid ÂŁ10k more.

I'm a fool for not doing it sooner. Finally looking to leave.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You should take this opportunity to go back to school. it's like I tell some people within my company, you are an engineer here, but without the degree and if you were to be fired, you are not anymore. Also, I have noticed that those are the low hanging fruit in a company that prides itself on degrees. Don't be that fruit.

I've seem many engineers get walked out that didn't have a degree and it's easier to get promoted and negotiate pay raises. If you don't have one, they will say that you are lucky to be here with a degree.

If school is not for you, then so be it. Get some certifications or something - get some type of papers backing you.

I actually am, I am both working full-time and studying full-time towards a BSc computing degree (I'm doing distance learning so I can study during evenings/weekend, will complete in 1.5 years). I also plan on getting a post-graduate degree after that, either part-time or attend full-time for 1 year.

The reason I dropped out the first time was because I chose a subject I ended up finding boring. I always thought I would at some point reach a ceiling without degree and I didn't want to just go back to school for 3 years and come out without work experience , so I decided to do both at the same time :D

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I don't think I'd ever answer yes to this question. I actually like my job and get paid a good amount. Yet there's always room for improvement

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I actually am, I am both working full-time and studying full-time towards a BSc computing degree (I'm doing distance learning so I can study during evenings/weekend, will complete in 1.5 years). I also plan on getting a post-graduate degree after that, either part-time or attend full-time for 1 year.

The reason I dropped out the first time was because I chose a subject I ended up finding boring. I always thought I would at some point reach a ceiling without degree and I didn't want to just go back to school for 3 years and come out without work experience , so I decided to do both at the same time :D
Good for you and keep at it. I didn't want to pry into your college experience too much because people are very different. Your manager will really like that he took a chance on you because you are proving his decision to bring you on without a degree right.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I make good money (technical solutions engineer), but I made my company probably 15x what they paid me last year.
Like most people, of course I wouldn't mind more

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I make ok money. I could be making more if my degree wasn't useless. My current conundrum is that I like what I make at my current job, but the hours suck, I commute a little over an hour to get to work, I don't get Saturday's off, and we don't get any holidays off (but get holiday pay). Right now I could get a job like 15 minutes away from home with paid holidays and weekends off, but the trade off is I'd be making about $3 less an hour than what I make now; however, if you minus the money I spend on gas now to get to work, it's really only like $1.50 less an hour. I'm also looking at another job that pays slightly more than I make now, but adds another 20 minutes to my commute time (so like 1:45 minute commute) but I'd also have weekends and holidays off. The draw back to that is I want to try to get certified in IT this year, so while the job pays better, I'll have less time to study. My choice right now is basically slightly less earnings but super close to home with weekends and holidays or slightly more pay but a longer commute (almost four hours round trip everyday) and less time to study to get certified for IT. What do you think I should do?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Self employed, so those fuckers should pay me more. Could stand to make more money. Hoping to double it in the next couple years.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I make enough to pay bills, but not enough to enjoy life. It's a pretty laborious and unfulfilling existence.