• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Could

• Yes i'm a Era hermit!

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • Nah

Votes: 60 60.6%
  • idk

Votes: 22 22.2%

• Total voters

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Estimates between 75 to up to 200 million died from plaque in Eurasia and peaking in Europe from 1347 to 1351. Reducing between 30 to 60% of Europes population. It took over 200 years for the world population to recover from it's original form. Do you think you could survive the black death? Assuming we don't have the medical knowledge we do now.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
image.jpeg

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you had knowledge of herbs or chemistry that could be used to make an antibiotic, maybe

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uhhh, I don't think you really understand how the plague worked in terms of it's setting if you think you could "survive" it given the usual living standards in the most plague infested places.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Disease isn't something you can survive with individual skill. You survive it with real medicine, immunization, and large-scale public sanitation and waste management. If there is already a high-mortality pandemic, things like contracting the disease or surviving it are basically just pure luck.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
From a quick check, it looks like it hit the parts of North Africa connected to the Mediterranean (Egypt, Libya, Morocco, etc.), but it is presently unconfirmed whether or not the rest of Africa was affected. There isn't any solid evidence, but some researchers think that there is circumstantial evidence that Africa was hit by the Plague like everywhere else. The lack of written historical records from the period make it difficult to draw easy conclusions.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I would have died back then regardless if a plague was going on bc of other medical issues

So no

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless I had very good knowledge of what the plague was at that time, maybe. But these people were mostly unintelligent. They just didn't know what was killing them besides a plague. If I was some peasant back then I would have zero idea what to do to avoid it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I almost didn't survive flu season a couple years ago... Shit is awful.

People look at those statistics (30%, etc) and think this was spread evenly amongst the populace... It wasn't. Towns and villages didn't lose a percent of their population, most were wiped out entirely. Your greatest chance of surviving plague was being isolated enough that it never got to your village to begin with.

Being rich also helped since you generally didn't interact with as many of the regular populace, and we're less likely to live somewhere infested with vermin.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What sort of question is this? You say if we don't have the medical knowledge that we do now? Who the fuck knows then?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Everyone is reading the question if you contracted the plague, would you die.

I read it, are your chances lowered about how you lived and where you lived.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i remember reading that some europeans descendants have some resistance to it, idk if thats true

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: The Justinian Plague which hit Europe in the 6th Century is now known to have been caused by the bacteria Yersinia pestis...the bacteria responsible for bubonic plague. It's believed to have hit with comparable results as the Black Death in terms of the number of deaths...about 50% of the population, though possible a lot more scattered due to a smaller population to start with, and more spread out.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I would have killed everything any anything, while wearing one of those badass Bloodborne bird masks and a giant ass Claymore sword.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I almost didn't survive flu season a couple years ago... Shit is awful.

People look at those statistics (30%, etc) and think this was spread evenly amongst the populace... It wasn't. Towns and villages didn't lose a percent of their population, most were wiped out entirely. Your greatest chance of surviving plague was being isolated enough that it never got to your village to begin with.

Being rich also helped since you generally didn't interact with as many of the regular populace, and we're less likely to live somewhere infested with vermin.
From what i've read only 1 monarch died from the black death. Alfonso XI of Castile. They were lucky enough to have a rural retreat somewhere to get away from the plaque infested cities/towns.