• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Yoko Shimomura is on the same level with Nobuo Uematsu?

• Damn straight she is.

Votes: 153 37.3%
  • I think her music is better.

Votes: 96 23.4%
  • Nobuo slightly edges her.

Votes: 77 18.8%
  • Boy, you outta your damn mind. No one is on Don Nobuo level.

Votes: 79 19.3%
  • Meh. They both are average

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters
Aug 13, 2019
I'm not going to vote because I've never played any of the games in which Nobuo Uematsu has composed. A large part of the reason why I enjoy Yoko Shimomura is because of how her music compliments what's happening. Battle, town, suspense, and sadness are things that are usually only properly conveyed by taking in the medium in its entirety. I'm listening to a YouTube video right now of what this person considers Nobua's best songs, and they sound great, but without the emotional context it just won't measure up. Yoko Shimomura is fantastic, though, and played no small part in my love for Kingdom Hearts.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Her work on Final Fantasy XV and the KH games is phenomenal. FFXV in particular has one of my favorite soundtracks of any RPG.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Different games require different kinds of music. For example, I probably wouldn't take Uematsu to compose the entire soundtrack for a fighting game.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Everything Yoko Shimomura touches is gold when it comes to OSTs imo. Nobuo is only slightly behind because I think The Last Story was the last game he composed that I found memorable, sadly that was almost a decade ago.

My recent Shimomura obsession is the track she remade for Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. That feat alone puts her ahead of Uematsu.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Been to both their orchestral concerts and based on number of goosebumps, it's Uematsu.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
At least for Final Fantasy music there is no match with Uematsu, except for people who don't really get why Uematsu music IS Final Fantasy. There is a certain way and sensibility. You can't really compare Uematsu to others who are probably way more technically skilled than him. He has a certain sense for music and it was associated with FF.

Now about Shimomura, i'm kinda biased cause i find Legend of Mana to be some of the best videogame music ever and for me, everything she's done since then is just tepid.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
She is good, but no, not for me. I also think that FFXV has the worst soundtrack in the entire mainline series overall, even if some individual tracks were epic.

My favourite FF composer isn't actually Uematsu even though I LOVE his music (controversial I know, but it's just my opinion). For me that title goes to Masashi Hamauzu as FFXIII has my favourite soundtrack of all time and I love FFXIII-2's OST, also a lot of my favourite tracks in FFX are by him too. (Besaid, Macalania Woods, Thunder Plains, Servants of the Mountain, to name a few).

But yeah, I don't hold Shimomura in as high regard as Uematsu or Hamauzu, none of the games she has composed on that I've played would appear in my top 10 or even 20 soundtracks of all time.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
One of the proudest moments of my life was when I asked Yoko Shimomura what she thought about the meme. She didn't know about it. I was the guy who showed it to her! She found it midly amusing so that was a win, I guess, but man, I'm the guy who showed Shimomura the Guile theme meme! I can die in peace!

Also yeah, apple and oranges. Got to say though, that Legend of Mana soundtrack is one of the most underrated OSTs ever.

I'm curious when you told her. I told her sometime in 2015 during a trip to Mexico.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
At least for Final Fantasy music there is no match with Uematsu, except for people who don't really get why Uematsu music IS Final Fantasy. There is a certain way and sensibility. You can't really compare Uematsu to others who are probably way more technically skilled than him. He has a certain sense for music and it was associated with FF.

Now about Shimomura, i'm kinda biased cause i find Legend of Mana to be some of the best videogame music ever and for me, everything she's done since then is just tepid.
The Kingdom Hearts army might scoff at this, but Legend of Mana is definitely her best work.

I'm curious when you told her. I told her sometime in 2015 during a trip to Mexico.

You should've asked her how big of a T-Square fan is she, instead.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Uematsu isn't unreachable. Many composers have different strengths that makes them as good as he was. Even better even

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really call either one of them better, since they're both godlike / literally my two favourite composers in the industry. Yoko has worked on a larger variety of stuff which is cool.

I'm kind of miffed Takeharu Ishimoto and Tsuyoshi Sekito have been getting more and more space on Kingdom Hearts soundtracks. They've steadily become less memorable as she's contributed less :(

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me, Shimomura never got the right games to become the superstar Uematsu is. She worked on astounding games, but it never was as big as FFVII or FFX. Having said that, she is awesome, and her orchestral skills are fantastic. I will never grow tired of drammatica and Memoria! <3
SF2....

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
She's better. There's quite a few who are better in my opinion. Koshiro, Kondo, Mitsuda, Namiki, Huelsbeck...

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Xenoblade, ready and hyped to play it. Started it up ready to mash the start button until it became an impact crater to get to it as soon as possible... But then that piano flourish hit. Then a second one. I stopped, frozen, instantly entranced and absorbed in the title screen that seconds ago I was so certain I would skip and never look at for more than the second it took for the "Press +" to appear.

I sat there for the entire track. I watched day turn to evening, and give way to night, on this simple field with some red thing stuck in the ground, completely engrossed in the orchestra. And every time I booted up the game I sat there. I watched the entire title screen sequence every time for my first playthrough. And every time it became more powerful as I watched the story unfold.

Meanwhile final fantasy goes up the keys down the keys up the keys down the keys

Yoko by a country mile.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yoko made her name in more than one series, in more than one genre, she is better imo

Also Mitsuda should be in the debate

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yoko Shimamura has a much larger, and much wider, and much more consistant discography. Nobuo Uematsu's only had Final Fantasy, but Yoko's done that and more.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I love Nobuo, but for me Shimmomura is Queen of the OST as far as Japan based composers go.

When I first heard the soundtrack to Legend of Mana it was practically an otherworldly experience. When I heard THIS in the first battle map of the game:

I knew I was in for a good time.

I downloaded mp3s of it and put it on a CD and would listen to it constantly. There's a whimsical adventure theme to Shimmomura's work that appeals to me more. I later found out she was also behind the amazing Super Mario RPG soundtrack.

I think Nobuo has some of the most memorable tracks out there for sure, but Shimmomura (aside from most of the FFXV ost) has never failed to create a wonderful set of songs that fit the mood of the scenes and locations they're in. Sure some of her stuff sounds same-y because she has a more particular Niche than some of Nobuo's experimental phases but she's done so much in the industry that I definitely put her at the top with him and a few others.

Some others for your earholes:

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Slightly better but this is comparing to gods to each other. This is the difference between 2 masters who are and have always been the peak of their craft

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Shimomura disappointed me with KH3's soundtrack, Nobuo still edges her for me.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
They're too different for me to compare. Uematsu probably has some higher highs, but Shimomura has such an expansive and diverse body of work that is both unique to the game—like Parasite Eve, Street Fighter, or Super Mario RPG—while carrying her trademark style.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Well, between Street Fighter II and Parasite Eve, I'm real impressed. "Out of Phase" is the ultimate interior exploration theme.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I love them both. Shinomura's Kingdom Hearts soundtrack work is absolutely fucking phenomenal and makes that series congeal like it does. Uematsu's FF work is something that will stick with me for years and years. Just now I have the FFVII battle music stuck in my head.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Nah it's Nobuo by far. I really like Yoko and she might be second place in the pantheon, but FF1 to 9 is literally a perfect streak. Last two decades she's definitely had more going on at least.

I'm bad at musical terms so I don't know how to describe this, but with Yoko I can almost immediately recognize her work by the style, it's very similar other than stuff like SF2. Whereas with Nobuo, he can change styles up but I can still recognize his work by the sheer quality. It's just well and truly beyond in a way I don't think I've heard from anyone else in video games.

They're both well above Hamauzu. There's a guy I can recognize by his style immediately, except his isn't good like Yoko's.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest thing is Uematsu's tracks have been remixed or arranged to death and pretty iconic in the FF series.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
This is too hard for me.. I have way more personal connections to works of yoko, but Uematsu's work is iconic.

Then there's Keiichi Okabe who moves me to tears so I think he fits into this conversation somehow.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I bought Xenoblade, ready and hyped to play it. Started it up ready to mash the start button until it became an impact crater to get to it as soon as possible... But then that piano flourish hit. Then a second one. I stopped, frozen, instantly entranced and absorbed in the title screen that seconds ago I was so certain I would skip and never look at for more than the second it took for the "Press +" to appear.

I sat there for the entire track. I watched day turn to evening, and give way to night, on this simple field with some red thing stuck in the ground, completely engrossed in the orchestra. And every time I booted up the game I sat there. I watched the entire title screen sequence every time for my first playthrough. And every time it became more powerful as I watched the story unfold.

Meanwhile final fantasy goes up the keys down the keys up the keys down the keys

Yoko by a country mile.
YOKO MADE XENOBLADE'S SOUNDTRACK???????