• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I always wondered if VR will ever be E-sport ready. It really seems like it will bring something really refreshing and unique to the E-sport market ,so what do you think?

Oct 27, 2017
For this to even make sense it would have to be mature enough that a significant number of people have VR headsets. VR as it is isn't exactly spectator friendly if they also don't have a headset

Oct 27, 2017
Not really games can have spectator mod this isn't a problem for spectators.

If the VR experience is only for the person playing then I don't see how you expect it to take anything away from the existing eSports market if the experience for spectators would be exactly the same as watching a non-VR game

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be a while before we see e-sports-ready VR games. There are a handful of things that need to be in place for that to happen that definitely aren't right now.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe you can't go to Blizzard Arena to watch Overwatch, but you can go there through VR. That would be sick actually.

OP
OP

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
If the VR experience is only for the person playing then I don't see how you expect it to take anything away from the existing eSports market if the experience for spectators would be exactly the same as watching a non-VR game
It sure can have VR mod for those who own one ,but it wouldn't be required if it will be streamed on twitch and such. Also I don't think having a pro player pov in VR is a great idea anyway since the player unpredictable controls can cause the viewers to feel motion sickness.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it's ideal. Everyone talks about the immersion, no one talks about it being a superior input/output method

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Pavlov have a tournament scene?

I think you'll see VR e-sports develop similar to that of the modding communities in the early days of Half-Life and Quake.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

There's plenty of room for opportunity for innovation here for creating great spectator modes. Take a look at something like MR setups people are using for Beat Saber and streaming games where you can either overlay the virutal space with your own or add an avatar.

Also Dota released a pretty cool spectator mode, which allows you to view the game from several different views:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've been to esports events IRL, and they're currently weird, man. Imagine competitors on a stage, each standing on a miniature podium and gesticulating wildly while within a VR headset.

Now, if these were broadcast with green-screen tricks, so that real-life bodies were superimposed on VR battlefields and broadcast in dramatic, cinematic fashion, that might be cool. Or maybe when wireless VR matures enough to support full-room, warehouse-scale laser tag (which I got a taste of at the last Oculus Connect in a 3-on-3 Dead & Buried demo in a massive room littered with real cardboard boxes). But the current format is rough from a spectating perspective, IMO.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Not true whatsoever.

It's extremely costly, and actually isn't pleasant to use (at least way less than simple controllers and a TV are).
This very detailed thread explains it way better than I do, but honestly, I don't count on VR to ever become mainstream or important in anyway whatsoever.

OP
OP

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
It's extremely costly, and actually isn't pleasant to use (at least way less than simple controllers and a TV are).
This very detailed thread explains it way better than I do, but honestly, I don't count on VR to ever become mainstream or important in anyway whatsoever.

But he is talking about the current tech. And you said its a dead end. Sure today VR is meh ,but it will have strong future especially wireless VR with tv shows at least.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe its already carving a scene out. Games like Pavlov already have tournaments here and there