• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want to see Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, etc.?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 53 48.2%
  • I guess, kind of indifferent

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • No, Batman is fine by himself

Votes: 38 34.5%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Robin in particular has been mostly absent from Batman media for almost two decades, it seems. A couple of the Robin characters had roles in the Arkham games, and Damian and Dick were in the Injustice games, but other than that, it seems like it's been mostly solo Batman stuff for almost as long as I've been alive.

I know Batman and Robin was a disaster of a movie, but I'd still really like to see him in a movie again. Batgirl, Nightwing, and Robin are all such cool characters that I feel like it's a waste to have Batman by himself all the time.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A couple of the Robin characters had roles in the Arkham games, and Damian and Dick were in the Injustice games, but other than that, it seems like it's been mostly solo Batman stuff for almost as long as I've been alive.
I mean there is Titans which features 3 Robins and a Batgirl

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Be careful what you wish for
kj-the-writer.png

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if they'll actually go for it, but The Batman tees this up perfectly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure about Robin in live action. The costume was always ridiculous but it would likely look really goofy in a world like The Batman's.

Would be really curious to see how they did it, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Batman film that includes Robin would mean they're acknowledging that Batman's ultimate victory as a hero was adopting Dick after he lost his parents in the same kind of senseless tragedy that took Bruce's parents from him, filling the void and turning him into one of the most well-balanced and emotionally stable heroes in the world that everyone really likes.

Robin and the rest of the Batfamily imply a level of fatherhood and responsibility in Batman and that his actions are something other than a juvenile power fantasy where you suffer tragedy and make everyone around you pay for it, which is why you can't have them. These movies are for adults.

May 24, 2019
I think it'd need to be a middle aged Batman to have a decent number of followers and Robin graduates make sense on screen (I know he's still vaguely 30's ish in the comics, but that comes with a metatext understanding that the extra characters have come through 80 years of publishing where the protagonist can't age.)

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Do I want to see that? Fuck yeah. Do I trust them or like what they've been doing beyond The Batman and a few movies here and there? Fuck no.

Batfleck already had a bad start in that sense: beyond certain features in him I didn't love, Dick and not Jason getting the crowbar treatment was a huge disservice for both characters, in the interim robbing you of a popular, great superhero that can play an ex-Robin either in good or bad terms with Bruce (Nightwing) and a fantastic arc (with the added bonus of another popular superhero in Red Hood). Then again, it was never explictly stated, the creative control of the universe changed and there's Flash to create multiverse shenanigans...

Then there's Cass in BoP, what a baffling take on the character. And Affleck is gonna be gone after The Flash, so, while he has the looks and chops to do a good older Bruce, we're now back to Keaton. Since he's probably going to be literally crossing universes and he's gotta have some baggage, I feel we'll only get to see a Robin of his and Batgirl. Let's see how the pull off Barbara in any case.

I'd particularly love to have a properly done Under the Red Hood movie, but that's obviously not happening with The Batman and it's unlikely within the DCEU (and I wouldn't trust them whatsoever). The only live-action rendition of Jason is, huh, something (his Robin is alright, even if a bit too on the unlikable side, but his post-resurrection persona isn't great from what I've seen, and then there's the lack of physical presence).

Would also love to see Tim, Steph and Damian, on top of the other guys like Duke who are highly unlike to ever show up in the big screen.

Last edited:

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's mainly due to them not being able to establish a long term Batman character. You need to establish him first but they always "reboot" him before they can get to other stories. How many times do we need to see his parents shot?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Definitely yes. Batwoman, Batgirls, Birds of Prey.. give me all of them.

As others have said some are hard to do as standalones, but that's a solvable problem.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It's mainly due to them not being able to establish a long term Batman character. You need to establish him first but they always "reboot" him before they can get to other stories. How many times do we need to see his parents shot?
Thing is that they had that opportunity with Batfleck, considering he was in his 40s and had had a long career. Even had his own dead Robin (even if it was intented to be the wrong one)!

I love The Batman and Battinson and I'm so happy they exist instead of doubling down in DCEU stuff, but Batfleck's exist is still somewhat sad since I quite liked him (despite finding the universe a mess and not to my liking in terms of how it interprets many things and characters) and there was a golden chance for the Batfamily. Say, Batfleck bouncing off of a disgruntled or very bright-eyed Nightwing, the loss of Jason as a constant reminder of his failure (and a potential arc), Tim becoming Robin, Bruce learning he has a son... and that's just the core family.

With the advent of streamers, The Flash opening up the multiverse and WB taking to non-DCEU DC movies (Joker, The Batman...), maybe we'll get standalone stuff that shows deeper cuts in terms of the Batfamily (so beyond a main Robin and Batgirl), but I'm not holding my breath.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not something I want (solo Batman for life baby), but I have a sneaking suspicion that we are going to get it in The Batman 2. Ultimately I trust Reeves though, so if he chooses to go that route I'll be all in.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
They can avoid the costume issue entirely with Robin by just having him be Nightwing from the get go. You'd lose something by not having the arc, but since I'd imagine no movie series would get to be more than a trilogy it'd be hard to do the arc anyways without it being the intent overall.

My (hot?) take it that the Batgirls would be easier to pull off than the Robins. Stephanie and Cassandra have backstories and costumes that'd slide into most Batman stories with ease, without needing to make the whole plot about them. Same with Babs, who can be Oracle.

If they'd figured out an MCU style DC universe that didn't start at Dark Knight Returns Batman, it would have been pretty easy to get them all in over time.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
They can avoid the costume issue entirely with Robin by just having him be Nightwing from the get go. You'd lose something by not having the arc, but since I'd imagine no movie series would get to be more than a trilogy it'd be hard to do the arc anyways without it being the intent overall.

DC literally have three Batmen currently. Honestly I don't think you have to do anything else other than have him say "I used to be Robin. Then I grew up" or somesuch, and audiences will work it out themselves.

Given fitting together as a coherent universe is no longer a goal for Warner, why worry about it?

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
I'd love for The Batman 2 to introduce both Dick and Jason, both boys going down different paths.

Id also be down if they just completely subvert expectations and go with Harper Row or something.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that I totally want all of those stories in The Batman universe. Whatever Flashpoint does include them in there.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for The Batman 2 to introduce both Dick and Jason, both boys going down different paths.

Id also be down if they just completely subvert expectations and go with Harper Row or something.

I dont know... it ain't the 50s anymore and that whole "ward" thing wouldn't be perceived the same today. Imagine a early 30s unmarried Pattinson recluse Bruce Wayne living with a non-related teen boy in 2022... would some real "my son Nestor" vibes. Look what they had to do in Forever to make that shit not weird for the audience, and it was still pretty weird

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
I dont know... it ain't the 50s anymore and that whole "ward" thing wouldn't be perceived the same today. Imagine a early 30s unmarried Pattinson recluse Bruce Wayne living with a non-related teen boy in 2022... would some real "my son Nestor" vibes. Look what they had to do in Forever to make that shit not weird for the audience, and it was still pretty weird

I don't think they do. Have both of them be orphans after the walls breaking and Bruce adopts them. He was an orphan, it makes sense he'd want to help other orphans

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I think that's why the Batgirls feel easier to adapt to me. Bruce doesn't adopt any of them, they're independent from the get go. Obviously you could also just do Robin without the adoption bit.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Oh damn, I forgot about the Batgirl film. Nightwing is the one I really want to see, though. Or Damian Wayne.

Actually it's Batman Beyond but that's never going to happen