• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I really liked the game, I thought the ending was kinda bad & I haven't played Mooncrash because it really isn't what I was wanting for DLC. Game seems like it didn't sell too well. I was trying to think of where the setting would even be and how to go about it but I don't wanna spoil the game so I won't craft my theory here but I really hope we get a sequel or maybe even a prequel?

I'm not even sure what was real & what wasn't by the end so I guess they could just retcon everything if Arkane wanted :P

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is the concept for the original Prey 2 to resurface in one way or another. First person bounty hunting in space, sweet. Still bummed they decided to slap the Prey IP on a game that has nothing do with the franchise.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't it sell really poor? I hope Arkane finds a succes soon that also keeps them close to their roots. I don't see Deathloop becoming a major succes either. Is that game even still in development?

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more worried about Arkane existing going forward based on word of mouth of how their recent games mostly haven't sold well at all.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I didn't understand why memories couldn't be put back into Morgan when they could for the Typhon either :-( maybe I missed something.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really really hope so. The first game is one of the best immersive sims I have ever played. I'm not expecting it though, the game sold rather poor I believe :(

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm very afraid it won't happen which is a ridiculous shame after that ending, truly! Not to mention the game really deserving a sequel because shit, is it good!!!!

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Also, I wouldn't mind a proper sequel to OG Prey, because the demo of the Arkane reboot certainly didn't impress me at all.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
No as much as I heard about it I don't think it sold well. I have no idea what future awaits Arkane.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I would love to get either a sequel or another similar game. We really need more immersive sims, they're great for exploration and atmosphere.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't too crazy about Prey like so many here. It was a good game, but only just good. That said, there's potential, even if I would rather have another Dishonored.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I wish, but i doubt that Bethesda was happy with the sales numbers to greenlight another one. I hope to be wrong though! Prey is my favorite game this gen and i would be delighted if we get another game.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not, game didn't sell well. That hasn't stopped Bethesda before but with most of their recent output failing I think they'll avoid the risk.

Nedjoe

Feb 6, 2019
I hope so! Or at least something in the same vein. Finished it last night after buying it last week and it is now one of my games of this gen. Such a cool and smart game.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I really hope so, it was one of the best games of 2017. I'm pretty sad if it didn't sell enough as it was incredible.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I haven't played dishonored 2 but it's my favorite Arkane game by far.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Also Raph left the company.

Dishonored 2 and Prey sadly didn't perform that strong in sales and Arkane has been put on GaaS garbage.

I don't think we'll see a sequel of either, or any new immersive sim from them on that matter.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
All I want is the concept for the original Prey 2 to resurface in one way or another. First person bounty hunting in space, sweet. Still bummed they decided to slap the Prey IP on a game that has nothing do with the franchise.
Well Bethesda eventually got their way and acquired Human Head anyway, so they basically lost that game for nothing as the entire reason the game got cancelled was because Human Head wanted to avoid a take over.

But maybe now they can release it again under a different name.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't it sell really poor? I hope Arkane finds a succes soon that also keeps them close to their roots. I don't see Deathloop becoming a major succes either. Is that game even still in development?

I sure hope Deathloop is still coming, that was probably the game that interested me the most from E3 last year.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Well Bethesda eventually got their way and acquired Human Head anyway, so they basically lost that game for nothing as the entire reason the game got cancelled was because Human Head wanted to avoid a take over.

I think it's unlikely, considering that the main Bethesda studio (BGS) is going to release a space game soon that will likely have some bounty hunting too.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. Game wasn't a big success and seems already forgotten. I don't remember seeing it in any Top of the decade lists yet it's one of the best games of this generation. Sadly not many people care about the game.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a good game. I picked it up on sale and almost immediately after starting bought the DLC.

MoonCrash was one of my top experiences last year. It combines all the things I like about rogue likes with all of the things I like about immersive sims, so it was pretty clear I would fall in love from the start.

I do honestly think the black blob enemies hurt the game in the long run. It's such a silly aesthetic thing to be bothered by, but even though I love nearly everything about the game, this is the one thing I wasn't too excited with. Even with the different variants, they're just black blobs.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved certain aspects of Prey (the ship, the exploration, finding the corpses of the crew, changing into a cup, the goo gun and different ways to approach combat etc - it did some very clever things) but the enemies were so cripplingly dull it sort of ruined it for me. Best enemies were the mimics, at least they had the capacity for suprise and were a bit creepy, a little bit different, could generate a little bit of paranoia. Everything else though, unmemorable and dull. The main humanoid enemies were so bad, not interesting, not creepy, not scary, not fun to fight against. Just tedious lumps in the way.

Shame really, for me it just needed better monster designs, maybe some body horror Dead Space style and it would have been almost perfect.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I loved certain aspects of Prey (the ship, the exploration, finding the corpses of the crew, changing into a cup, the goo gun and different ways to approach combat etc - it did some very clever things) but the enemies were so cripplingly dull it sort of ruined it for me. Best enemies were the mimics, at least they had the capacity for suprise and were a bit creepy, a little bit different, could generate a little bit of paranoia. Everything else though, unmemorable and dull. The main humanoid enemies were so bad, not interesting, not creepy, not scary, not fun to fight against. Just tedious lumps in the way.

Shame really, for me it just needed better monster designs, maybe some body horror Dead Space style and it would have been almost perfect.
I wish their was more viable way to deal with enemies stealth wise but other than that I liked them.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
The first game is in my top 10 of all time so yes, I really really hope we get a Prey 2

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
Bethesda is having a hard time understanding what sells and what doesn't. See also: decision to fund Rage 2.

Prey was a really solid debut game from Arkane Austin, but I fear that going for originality was a bad mix with Bethesda's poor marketing skills, and now they'll end up making bland games that sell even less. Sorry for this pessimistic outlook.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Well we don't know what the Prey team has been up to, but it's doubtful it's a Prey sequel. I'll echo the praise that others in this thread have already laid upon the game - it's easily one of the best games I've ever played

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's unlikely, considering that the main Bethesda studio (BGS) is going to release a space game soon that will likely have some bounty hunting too.
Pretty sure Starfield is going to be a different kind of game.
Probably the typical Bethesda style RPG which is very different from a proper first person game like Prey was shown to be. They already have the game with them and from what I understand it was pretty much finished. If they choose they can spend some time modernising the visuals but gameplay wise the game seemed modern enough that it can come out next gen and still work.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are more likely to get yet another game just called "Prey" in a second reboot before 2030

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
bethesda doesn't necessarily require every game to sell 10+ million copies for a sequel to be greenlit so i wouldn't write it off completely

though their recent string of duds, Arkane's future... it's pretty murky. no reason to be particularly optimistic either

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Pretty sure Starfield is going to be a different kind of game.
Probably the typical Bethesda style RPG which is very different from a proper first person game like Prey was shown to be. They already have the game with them and from what I understand it was pretty much finished. If they choose they can spend some time modernising the visuals but gameplay wise the game seemed modern enough that it can come out next gen and still work.
I think if Starfield is successful and its game mechanics are different enough from the cancelled Prey 2, then they could let Arkane tweak that unreleased game into a Starfield spin-off that focuses on bounty hunting. I'll likely be far more successful that way than if it's released as a Prey title.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

As much as I'd like to see a scifi bounty hunter game I highly doubt we'll ever see it again. Or anything similar.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No and it's a shame. The DLC Mooncrash is in my top 3 best rogue-like game i have ever played

Well we don't know what the Prey team has been up to, but it's doubtful it's a Prey sequel. I'll echo the praise that others in this thread have already laid upon the game - it's easily one of the best games I've ever played

hmm i think they have a new game in work for release this year called Deathloop

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, Prey 2 didn't have much to do with the first game either. They only ever wanted to add a few referemces to Prey 1 into 2.
Would really like a late build of the game to leak somehow, I mean it should have been close to finishes.

Still want to get to the Arkane Prey, always hear good things about it, just need to find the time.

Wait, Human Head was acquired? I thought they were working on Rune 2 independently?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Prey 2 didn't have much to do with the first game either. They only ever wanted to add a few referemces to Prey 1 into 2.
Would really like a late build of the game to leak somehow, I mean it should have been close to finishes.

Still want to get to the Arkane Prey, always hear good things about it, just need to find the time.

Wait, Human Head was acquired? I thought they were working on Rune 2 independently?

they were, rune 2 came out already and was a mess. they soon after got acquired by bethesda but i don't think they're "human head" anymore (too early for some google fu on my end)

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
they were, rune 2 came out already and was a mess. they soon after got acquired by bethesda but i don't think they're "human head" anymore (too early for some google fu on my end)
oh
Just read about that
Thats sad
But Rune 2 also never looked that polished or worthwile in the Trailers.
I guess it was a desperstion move cause they had easy access to the IP and wanted to get something out. Totally forgot they also made Quiet Man lol.
But interesting that they made a deal with Bethesda first things after forming a new Studio.
They are called Roundhouse Studios now.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
And that studio is more than capable of carrying out that original vision. It just needs its' own name now.