• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think we will ever see another Bioshock?

• Yes

Votes: 229 71.1%
  • No

Votes: 93 28.9%

• Total voters

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
One game I really wanted to see at E3 was another Bioshock game. While the certainty had flaws I loved all of them 1, 2, Infinite and all the DLC.

Will we ever see another? Has Ken gone?

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Ken has Ghost Games now.

The next Bioshock will be coming from 2K. I'm sure we'll get one next gen.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think we get an in-spirit bioshock from another publisher. But unless a developer comes to 2k with a great idea. i don't think we will see one. I dont expect 2k to seek out someine yo make it for them.

But I said yes because I believe in miracles

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If it can be like the first two, I hope so. If not, then I'd just rather the creative energies of the developers went into something new and unique and the series stayed contained to what we already have.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think we'll ever get another Bioshock/Infinite set in that universe while maintaining the scale of prior entries. I also don't think Ken Levine will ever be involved with another project as ambitious as those two ever again. I think the next iteration of this style of game is going to come from another publisher using a fresh IP.

Hell, if we're being honest I'd argue that a successor to Bioshock Infinite already exists and its name is Prey.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I did not like the third game gameplaywise, you could only have two weapons and I missed Bioshock 2 where mind control lasted longer, you had plenty of weapons and upgrades, and felt more powerful overall.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that world has run its course and deserves to be laid to rest. I don't think you can insert more key players into that world without sounding like you're riding on the coattails of previous games with a lot of "remember this guy? This new guy is just as good, if not better!" bullshit, and Bioshock 2 already played this card a lot. Bioshock Infinite seemingly tried to do a lot of new things during development, but ultimately went back to feeling pretty damn similar to 1 and 2.

I don't think the series should continue, but there's no telling if someone will decide to try to milk more out of the franchise.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Haven't we already had numoerous reports let us know there's a new Bioshock in development?

Oct 29, 2017
No, and it's a shame. I loved BioShock Infinite, but what I really wanted, and still want, was a continuation of Eleanor Lamb's story from BioShock 2.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
if we do, i hope we get something in line with the original design doc about the cult deprogrammer.

other than that, im not that huge a fan of Bioshock honestly and i wouldnt be put out if we dont get anything else.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
imo there will be another one, but it will be drained of all the political substance of the original and Infinite (however thin/problematic).

They'll try to make up for it with AAAA production values and deep RPG mechanics... and it'll probably work.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
ken-levine-vita-bioshock.jpg

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously happening. 2k has said as much, and there is a studio working on it based on what has been reported.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Yes but not in a way similar to 1/2 or infinite. I don't mean this in setting or story but a completely different gameplay stlye, tone and theming. I imagine it would be like prey (original) to Prey 2017 (ironic as Prey 2017 is very much a bioshock spiritual successor)

Edit: Yeah the political overtones will be almost completely removed but don't worry it'll be almost guaranteedly open world which is what we all want right?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I think not,which is sad,but without Levine involved is better not.Bioshock Infinite is one of my all time favs game.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I replayed them all a month ago. Thinking about not getting another Bioshock breaks my heart..Would you kindly release another Bioshock game?

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hasn't a new one been already confirmed last year or so to be in development?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Ever is an incredibly long, long time. I am sure someone will revisit the IP over the next decade.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Hell, if we're being honest I'd argue that a successor to Bioshock Infinite already exists and its name is Prey.

Nah. That's giving way too much credit to Bioshock, especially Bioshock Infinite.

Bioshock traded on System Shock 2's name and legacy, Prey actually bothered to learn from it, expand it, and enhance it. If anything, Prey (and Dishonored) are the true successors to Looking Glass/Ion Storm that Bioshock was erroneously said to be despite being toothless and watered down on the gameplay front.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I feel like that world has run its course and deserves to be laid to rest. I don't think you can insert more key players into that world without sounding like you're riding on the coattails of previous games with a lot of "remember this guy? This new guy is just as good, if not better!" bullshit, and Bioshock 2 already played this card a lot. Bioshock Infinite seemingly tried to do a lot of new things during development, but ultimately went back to feeling pretty damn similar to 1 and 2.

I don't think the series should continue, but there's no telling if someone will decide to try to milk more out of the franchise.

Infinite created unlimited possibilities for the franchise though. All you need is a protagonist, a lighthouse, and a foreign world. You don't have to tie anything to Rapture, and you shouldn't. A couple nods to the rest of the universe would be more than enough.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite created unlimited possibilities for the franchise though. All you need is a protagonist, a lighthouse, and a foreign world. You don't have to tie anything to Rapture, and you shouldn't. A couple nods to the rest of the universe would be more than enough.
That would be good, I think. Drawing too many parallels back to the original games at this point would just create a shitty George Lucas "it rhymes like poetry" aspect to it.

Oct 27, 2017
I think there will be more, and they'll probably continue to do a strange location for each game as their notable element. Like, the next game might be set in a city on the French Alps, or inside a hollow mountain, or maybe on Mars or the moon.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Brand new one as a next gen exclusive would be great. Do not release on PS4/X1 pleaseeee.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
That would be good, I think. Drawing too many parallels back to the original games at this point would just create a shitty George Lucas "it rhymes like poetry" aspect to it.

100% accurate. There's a world of possibility for the franchise now. They can do anything they want and still keep it completely in line with the last entry and fit within the overall Bioshock universe. The only thing they can do wrong is some "they knew each other the whole time" or "so and so character actually was responsible for thing in early entry" that shockingly poorly written products lean on.

The bioshock infinite dlc is a ghastly monstrosity I usually try to forget happened. It's the same tier as the worst Lucas shit possible.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The next Bioshock takes place in an underground society, with lave and caverns etc. Mine carts reminiscent of the Sky Rails, drillers reminiscent of Big Daddies, and the player character will be fighting to get to the surface but won't like what they find there, in a twist that ties in with the other Bioshock games (specifically Infinite).

teague

Dec 17, 2018
With all due respect to Bioshock 2 and Infinite, I feel like Bioshock would have been the best as one of those standalone cult games that you remember for being original and interesting. (Alan Wake comes to mind). It just has that forgotten cult classic vibe despite being very popular at the time, and I think more sequels will only boringly bloat out a world that wasn't improved upon by either of its sequels. If there has to be another one, I would really prefer that it be a standalone "inspired by" Bioshock and not pointless nods "for the fans" and unnecessary worldbuilding. (I'm really burnt out on "worldbuilding," thanks Marvel and Brandon Sanderson fans).

(full disclosure, I love Brandon Sanderson, but if I see one more post on the internet about how he's a "genius at worldbuilding" I swear to god...)

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
A lotta recent 0451/immersive sims have really scratched that itch to the point where I'd rather see other takes on the style than more Bioshock.

If on the off chance we get another, I'd rather Arkane tackle it instead of 2K Marin tbh

Jan 11, 2018
Been wanting one for the last few years but it never comes. I hope the team reiterates on Kens ideas for Infinite and makes it better, just like they did with B2. Id love to see another game set in Columbia. If not, use a brand new setting.

It also begs the question of what the hell ken and ghost story have been up to the past 6 years... i know hes not working on bioshock, but surely the have something after all these years?