• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I see games like OW or OW2 and see no reason why they can't run higher than 60fps on PS5 or XSX. Thoughts?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Upto the developer I guess.

I'm hoping for older game ports to do it.

Though I'm a bit annoyed my tv only does 1440p@120hz

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We already have Dirt 5 announced for support with Polyphony and Infinity Ward showing interest. Might be a couple other games already confirmed; can't remember right now. Maybe Gears 5 MP?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 technically has 120fps already because of PSVR. Though theres very few of them even then. I imagine we'll get games similar to overwatch and other games with more simple graphics at 120fps. Big AAA singleplayer games will stick to 30 though

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I'd love to see it, as my monitor does 144fps. It's great. Having said that, I do notice diminishing returns as the frame rate goes higher up.

30 to 60 is a huge improvement. Anything over 80 is sublime, and at that point it all seems amazing to me. Other people may disagree

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, you'll get 120fps. Just don't expect to see it at resolutions above 1440p, or with other graphical settings cranked up. I expect that any 120fps/framerate mode will probably cap out at 1440p with a nice blend of graphical settings cranked up and definitely no real-time raytracing stuff.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes, a lot of indie and smaller games will probably use it. Games like Peggle or Spelunky shouldn't have a hard time reaching 120 fps.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
early on yes but long term no unless its a game with less complex graphics or last gen remaster

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
If Apex Legends isn't 120fps on Series X, I'll have to complain to someone. Probably you.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I can see this happening at the start of the gen and maybe mid-gen.

Once things are more polished and the tools more familiar, I feel games will likely push for better looking but more graphic-intensive processing so it might go back to 60FPS but better looking.

dsmash

May 19, 2020
I remember not too long ago people said the human eye can't see faster than 60fps. I guess that has been proven incorrect?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it being all that common unless TVs start supporting more refresh rates.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Microsoft will absolutely deliver some sort of 120 fps content but I assume it will be very specific and very slight.

Sony? Naw. They make gorgeous 30 fps games. Maybe something 3rd party?

Nintendo? Oddly enough, maybe? They're crazy enough to do anything.

So yes. But probably rarely.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
1. We still don't have 60FPS games and you're thinking 120?
2. Not that many people have high refresh rate tvs, which means no point in having high frame rate games.

OP
OP
Spinluck

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
1. We still don't have 60FPS games and you're thinking 120?
2. Not that many people have high refresh rate tvs, which means no point in having high frame rate games.

I disagree, games that are better 60fps are usually 60fps. Most MP shooters aim for 60, most fighters aim for 60, and some racers.

I don't think it's complete unreasonable. Games like OW2 that don't seem to be making a huge graphical leap would be amazing to play at 120fps. I'm aware that it's an enthusiasts request.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, but we're not getting this for AAA style cinematic games, so make your peace with that now.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
On PC, yes. I believe higher frame rates will become more and more the norm in the next 5 years.

On console, slightly, but it'll be limited by the lack of higher frame rate TV ownership.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
sure

u852c4jkiwliopdufc1t.png

cloudknight

Jun 20, 2020
It's likely going to be more of a target for games with PC releases. A lot of the lower end 4K TVs out there (I.e. Black Friday models) have low refresh rates and wouldn't take advantage of it. Depending on the overhead to try and get the game optimized to run that high, it probably won't be worth the effort. I'm not sure how prevalent those lower refresh rate TV models are though.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
You'll be lucky to even get 60, for the few games that require it. Other than that, it's gonna be all 30fps.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
For consoles, a very few will, but they won't be the norm, especially since 120hz TV's aren't the norm. Most devs would rather take the time somewhere else or just doing 30FPS/60FPS options.

For PC though, I could see more games not arbitrarily locking the FPS anymore which will be really nice.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
They won't be common but they'll be around. Esports FPS, especially cross-gen ones have a shot at it. Mostly racing and sports apart from that, among higher profile games.

Indies with art styles that make for lighter GPU loads will have a decent shot at 120 as well.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
I disagree, games that are better 60fps are usually 60fps. Most MP shooters aim for 60, most fighters aim for 60, and some racers.

I don't think it's complete unreasonable. Games like OW2 that don't seem to be making a huge graphical leap would be amazing to play at 120fps. I'm aware that it's an enthusiasts request.

There are some 60FPS games sure but... Look at GT Sport or the latest COD. If I recall correctly neither manage to get a stable 60 frame rate on the base console (which is the bigger install base unlike the pro) and let's not forget that COD is also severely gimped in graphics when compared to PC. So why push for a higher frame rate if instead you can push for better graphics?

Most of the people will notice the higher refresh rate, but everyone will notice the better textures. The biggest issue for this and why it's unlikely to happen is the install base of high refresh rate TVs. Most of the TVs are at 60hz, and the ones that boast higher numbers are usually bullshitting with marketing gimmicks. Without the proper TV, no point.

In the end, if you want to enjoy the glorious world that is high frame rate, just play on the PC

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why something like fighting games can't have the option.
I was thinking about fighting games a couple days ago actually. You wouldn't want faster than 60 fps, would you? Wouldn't it throw off your "cadence?"

I guess there are fighting games on PC now, but I don't know how people play them. Like do they cap them at 60?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If devs are willing to sacrifice resolution and graphics to some degree, no reason why not but I will be surprised if we get a lot of 120fps games, knowing how most devs like to push graphics.