• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
There were reports of Nintendo spending more in R+D than never...

I can already see the it. Play modes:

- Handheld.
- Table top.
- Home console.
- VR!

However, for this I think Nintendo should come up with a really beefy device, not only to move decent graphics but also for matching the ideal resolution for VR.

I also think it kinda conflicts with the socializing nature of many Nintendo games, but don´t you think that games like Metroid Prime or Mario Kart would be amazing in VR?

What do you think about this possibility?

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Uh, no way. I don't ever see Nintendo going full on (or even a little bit) VR. Labo is the max I can see them going.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I guarantee you this. If Nintendo actually did tackle VR it would be the surest way it became a mainstream hit. Nintendo could do more for VR than anyone

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I doubt it. Between the cost being too high and the Switch 2 not being super powerful I don't think it would be a smart move. Certainly not any sort of mainstream success.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Might very well be the case. They've dabbled around with Labo and we all know how much Nintendo loves 3d. And the style of their games would lend itself extremely well to VR.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
VR is tricky for the Switch console model because you'd want the headset to be designed for maximum comfort and not bound by limitations of having to connect to a Switch device. This is one reason why mobile VR is dead, because the phone is a limiting factor that bottlenecks headset technology and headset design; VR headsets need to be ideally fully custom hardware specifically built for that purpose.

I think Nintendo would get a better solution if they went with a $200-300 standalone solution sometime down the road, like a more comfortable Oculus Quest with a better processor and then use their IPs to fuel that platform separately.

Maybe a Switch 2 VR would end up selling better, hard to say, but I know that in terms of quality, a standalone form factor is a better idea unless they can do some seriously creative design work with Switch 2 without hindering the VR experience.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Until there are tech advances that makes VR much more affordable, it isn't going to be Nintendo's next thing.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The thought of Nintendo pushing a beefy device seems like a crazy thought to me personally. We have 10+ years of them taking an approach (successfully) opposite of that.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I hope not, I'd rather have more powerful hardware have that as one of their options (PC and PS5 will keep doing this, it seems), while I'll be fine with their next console simply being a Switch 2 with hopefully a very noticeable improvement in performance.

Apr 25, 2020
Nah. Following someone else's lead is exactly what Nintendo don't do. It'll be some mildly changed variant of the Switch with the same old motion control wank and better specs.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Getting heavy deja vu from this thread, swear i've seen it before

You're just imagining it.

www.resetera.com

Is VR the key to ensure the success of the Switch 2?

Most people here will agree that the handheld + home console approach is the way for Nintendo going forward. The problem: A potential Switch 2 won´t turn heads like the original Switch did. Let´s take a look at the past: every time Nintendo released a upgraded version of their current console...

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The next gimmick should be mouse wheel shoulder buttons Nintendo patented a few years ago.

Edit.:
NintendoNXPatent2.png

NintendoNXPatent.png

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think so. This is one of those ideas that seems so natural ("just slide the Switch into a headset!") until you think about it (the screen would be heavy and giant, the resolution would almost certainly be too low, the screen probably wouldn't be ideal for VR unless Nintendo spent un-Nintendo amounts of money on it).

Also, Nintendo seems to place an institutional importance on social "couch" gaming and VR is the exact opposite of that.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
No, no chance at all. Nintendo is all about delivering novel experiences at an affordable price, the type of VR experience they would be able to deliver in their price range would not be worth bothering with. I think they will keep doing fun little tidbits with it like Labo VR but we are a long way from it ever being the primary concept for a machine from the big 3.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
True VR still makes a lot of people sick, not just headaches, so i wouldn't count on nintendo making it the gimmick of the new console.

I would love to see them embrace an embedded projector (like the pen projectors), so you can play on the go but on a big screen as long as you have a white wall available someplace.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
My gut says nope, but you never know with Nintendo. Still, I think the current level of tech means we're talking more like Switch 3 before that really comes in to play with them. But yeah, who knows with them.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
True VR still makes a lot of people sick, not just headaches, so i wouldn't count on nintendo making it the gimmick of the new console.

I would love to see them embrace an embedded projector (like the pen projectors), so you can play on the go but on a big screen as long as you have a white wall available someplace.
Very few people get sick from VR with comfort options applied. I actually imagine Nintendo will solve headaches by the time they release a headset for Switch 2 or go the standalone route, since I imagine neither of those is happening in less than 5 years.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see Nintendo staying in the low-end, budget-friendly hardware price range while also having VR that's competitive vs. all the other options out there.
They've kinda shown over the past several generations that budget-friendly hardware is the area they want to stay in, so I'd be surprised if they tried VR at the same time.

I'm not personally interested in console VR, but if Nintendo wants to try it and wants to make a console beefy enough to run it, then I could be swayed. I'd buy a Nintendo console with hardware on par with Series X and PS5.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Nintendo was successful with all (almost?) of its portable devices and with some of the home devices... they are clearly good at developing devices that can be played on the go even though some of them are successful with a TV. VR needs a space and most likely works better in a close environment so... they probably shouldnt try that.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Nintendo making a device that is powerful enough for VR, still portable and in the price range Nintendo operates.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just kill me if future Zelda titles are tied to VR. I'm fine with it being an option for people who like it, but if it's the main feature of the next Nintendo console I'm out.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Labo VR works well enough as a proof of concept. If the Switch gets a successor with a similar shape, I don't see why they couldn't ship it with an empty headset fame with lenses and all to slot it into. Put the tracking needed in the console itself, and attach that to the headset.

And with it still being a TV, tabletop, and handheld machine, you could run nearly any kind of game on it. VR wouldn't be the gimmick, just a fourth operation mode that the current Switch can't do. If you don't want to use it, it's fine. If you do, all you need is in the box from day one.

If Nintendo decides to chase VR, this is how I see them do it. Use tech they know and combine it in a way that hasn't really been done before.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
could be. i'd rather they just release a straightforward switch 2.0 and if VR is contingent on that cool whatever

lesson to learn from wii U is you don't have to re-invent the wheel every time

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
That's not gonna happen. VR still can't be social and can make physically ill an important percentage of players.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
VR is not popular enough nor will it be for many years to be something to focus on a console as a selling point.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
VR is still too expensive hardware wise.
Did you not read the thread title, in this scenaio if people bought a switch then they also bought a VR headset. Unless you are saying switches or future switches will be too expensive because of VR in the future. Which at this point would be an Ideology due to current technology disproving that

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
There were reports of Nintendo spending more in R+D than never...

I can already see the it. Play modes:

- Handheld.
- Table top.
- Home console.
- VR!

However, for this I think Nintendo should come up with a really beefy device, not only to move decent graphics but also for matching the ideal resolution for VR.

I also think it kinda conflicts with the socializing nature of many Nintendo games, but don´t you think that games like Metroid Prime or Mario Kart would be amazing in VR?

What do you think about this possibility?

You have the tittle wrong. It wouldn't be a gimmick if Nintendo decides to go the VR router. Just look at what the Oculus Quest is able to do with a Sanpdragon 835 SOC. That's an SOC from 2017. Nintendo could go with a model similar to the Oculus Quest, but with a bigger focus on augmented reality and a better SOC and foveated rendering, to increase the performance even more.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You have the tittle wrong. It wouldn't be a gimmick if Nintendo decides to go the VR router. Just look at what the Oculus Quest is able to do with a Sanpdragon 835 SOC. That's an SOC from 2017. Nintendo could go with a model similar to the Oculus Quest, but with a bigger focus on augmented reality and a better SOC and foveated rendering, to increase the performance even more.
Most of the time the difference between what a gimmick is and is not is in the one who describes it. I don't like it, it is, I like it, it's not.