• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Feige adapt Secret Wars (1984) or Secret Wars (2015)?

• Secret Wars (1984)

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • Secret Wars (2015)

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • A combination with elements of both

Votes: 95 56.5%

• Total voters

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
The Infinity Saga has come and gone and who knows what major overarching narrative Kevin Feige has up his sleeves for us next. Now that the multiverse will soon be in play, a lot of people seem to think (or hope) it's gonna be an adaptation of Secret Wars, specifically the 2015 series that follows on from Jonathon Hickman's Avengers with the incursions and Beyonders and whatnot. Personally, I doubt they would go that route and instead would love to see an adaptation of the 1984 series with the OG Beyonder.

Think about it, what makes more sense to be brought to film:

Option 1: A long, complicated story where the Beyonders, a group of extremely powerful cosmic beings, decide to destroy the multiverse one universe at a time by having them collide with each other in events known as incursions and the only way to prevent this is to destroy the Earth of a universe, which the Illuminati set out to do but ultimately end up failing. Doctor Doom ends up saving the day by destroying the Beyonders, stealing their powers, and salvaging bits of the multiverse into a new planet Battleworld that he rules over as God... until Reed Richards eventually gets the power off him and fixes everything.

avengersincursion.png

OR

Option 2: A simple, short story where the Beyonder, an extremely powerful cosmic being, having heard of the exploits of the Avengers and heroes of Earth becomes fascinated by them and transports several of his faves (aka the excuse to pick and choose who to bring in and the way to get Cap and Stark involved) to his planet Battleworld to compete with various villains he also hand picked and promises them their heart's desires as a reward for victory.

4583330-dp%20battle.jpg

What do you think they will realistically end up doing? Which would you prefer?

Oct 31, 2017
Like you said, they are building up the multiverse which will collapse into one Battleworld. The MCU event will be mainly based off the 2015, hopefully

the original Secret Wars is too basic to be the main basis of an MCU event, imo

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think neither.

By the time they get through all the current coming and teased story threads (Secret Invasion, establishing multiverse, mutants, Kang, Doom, Young Avengers) and all of the easier inevitable arcs they'll assuredly do (Avengers vs Xmen)...close to a decade will have passed, and the actors who originally portrayed these characters (because let's face it, one of the biggest reasons to do this is to bring RDJ, Scarjo and Evan back) may have lost interest or might not be able to. I honestly think whatever multiverse shenanigans that this phase will introduce will end with this phase

But if I had to pick, the newer one. Older one is too basic.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Technically the Beyonders weren't responsible for the incursions. They were going to destroy every universe at the same time using the Molecule Men. The incursions started when the Molecule Men were assasinated ahead of schedule.

The complexity is why I'd rather see Secret Wars 2015, it's at least three films. An Illuminati film setting up the incursions, Time Runs Out and then finally Secret Wars.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Its going to be awhile. Im sure they have it in their back pocket ready to go when they are ready. But its going to take a ton of set up to do it, if they are going with the alternate earths being destroyed one by one until only battleworld remains. It seems like they are laying the ground work for it now, but who knows. Itll be kinda hard to top if they do do it.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
They'll probably do both but it will look pretty different than what was in the comics, sort of like AoU. Likely even more so. Instead of Steve, Tony, and Bruce it'll be whoever is around at that point.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
hickman remains a genius for taking what was otherwise a fun, dumb crossover meant to sell action figures & use its foundations to end the 616 with it. there's so many moments in the illuminati/avengers stuff building up to the end & that event with god emperor DOOM that i'd kill to see on the big screen

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
I was hoping they'd do 2015.

Seeing doom in that position of power on the big screen would be cool.

Also, I would've loved to see T'Challa (Chadwick R.I.P) doing this in live action....

image1-720x540.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-04-11-at-1.47.10-PM.png

I'd lose my fucking mind.

Last edited:

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
On the contray, OP, I disagree. 2015 Secret Wars (and the preceding F4/Avengers storylines) is a perfect kind of storyline to adapt to film. It's a massive sci-fi epic with a very personal emotional core that tests the morality of the heroes and villians involved, and especially two of the most iconic characters of Marvel. Its exactly the kind of climatic finale that the MCU can build towards in the vein of IW/EG.

But I admit I'm biased here since it's basically my favorite crossover line.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The Infinity Saga has come and gone and who knows what major overarching narrative Kevin Feige has up his sleeves for us next. Now that the multiverse will soon be in play, a lot of people seem to think (or hope) it's gonna be an adaptation of Secret Wars, specifically the 2015 series that follows on from Jonathon Hickman's Avengers with the incursions and Beyonders and whatnot. Personally, I doubt they would go that route and instead would love to see an adaptation of the 1984 series with the OG Beyonder.

Think about it, what makes more sense to be brought to film:

Option 1: A long, complicated story where the Beyonders, a group of extremely powerful cosmic beings, decide to destroy the multiverse one universe at a time by having them collide with each other in events known as incursions and the only way to prevent this is to destroy the Earth of a universe, which the Illuminati set out to do but ultimately end up failing. Doctor Doom ends up saving the day by destroying the Beyonders, stealing their powers, and salvaging bits of the multiverse into a new planet Battleworld that he rules over as God... until Reed Richards eventually gets the power off him and fixes everything.

avengersincursion.png

OR

Option 2: A simple, short story where the Beyonder, an extremely powerful cosmic being, having heard of the exploits of the Avengers and heroes of Earth becomes fascinated by them and transports several of his faves (aka the excuse to pick and choose who to bring in and the way to get Cap and Stark involved) to his planet Battleworld to compete with various villains he also hand picked and promises them their heart's desires as a reward for victory.

4583330-dp%20battle.jpg

What do you think they will realistically end up doing? Which would you prefer?
Just so you know OP your 1984 picture is actually from Deadpool's Secret Secret War. Where he claims he was in the original story.

This is a more accurate pic

G22Ju7A.jpg

And while I'd love to see either version. The 1984 one is easier to adapt for a variety of reasons.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Yeah eventually they will 100% but hopefully not for a long long time. The idea of "Beyonders" is only interesting if the audience is already deeply familiar with the edges and borders of the Marvel Cosmos: Cosmic Abstracts, Watchers, Living Tribunal, Galactus, dimensions, multiverse, the start and end of the universe. Only with years of intergalactic Marvel events behind us does the idea of something beyond that then become intriguing.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah eventually they will 100% but hopefully not for a long long time. The idea of "Beyonders" is only interesting if the audience is already deeply familiar with the edges and borders of the Marvel Cosmos: Cosmic Abstracts, Watchers, Living Tribunal, Galactus, dimensions, multiverse, the start and end of the universe. Only with years of intergalactic Marvel events behind us does the idea of something beyond that then become intriguing.
Funny thing is that Secret Wars was among the first non X-Men comics I ever read.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
They will eventually go for the new Secret Wars but I can't see it happening for years and years and years. It feels like you need a few Fantastic Four movies, X-Men stuff under your belt first. FF at least. I imagine they will go a phase or two relatively low key, build up New Avengers etc before a crack at something like that. But yes, when it happens, I think it will closer resemble the new one.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
They will eventually go for the new Secret Wars but I can't see it happening for years and years and years. It feels like you need a few Fantastic Four movies, X-Men stuff under your belt first. FF at least. I imagine they will go a phase or two relatively low key, build up New Avengers etc before a crack at something like that. But yes, when it happens, I think it will closer resemble the new one.
What I actually hope is that the F4 and X-Men don't crossover with the Spidey and Avengers stuff much if at all before they do a Secret Wars type story.

What was cool about the original Secret Wars was it was a lot of characters who HADN'T interacted before except for small stuff here and there.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
What I actually hope is that the F4 and X-Men don't crossover with the Spidey and Avengers stuff much if at all before they do a Secret Wars type story.

What was cool about the original Secret Wars was it was a lot of characters who HADN'T interacted before except for small stuff here and there.

I hope so too, I think they know people like that from Infinity War / Endgame where the Guardians didnt know who any of the others were. You can easily set up things in a Fantastic Four series that lead to Secret War without having them hanging out with the Avengers and it is even easier with the X-Men.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think they would be better off adapting Secret Wars II rather than either of those, given its Earth setting, greater openings for humor (Beyonder doing wacky stuff on Earth), and ability to intro new characters like Dazzler. Though potentially they could fuse Secret Wars I and II into one script.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Actually what would be neat is a bit of all off the above.

Earth is the primary setting per Secret Wars II and a human looking Beyonder as an antagonist. The "Slay your enemies and all you desire shall yours!" and the desire to understand good and evil aspect from Secret Wars I. And then have it all go to hell, reality is going to be destroyes and Doom steals the power and create the Battleworld.

Could easily be a three movie epic with tie in movies in between.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I see them doing it and pulling not only the different heroes but different multiverse as well. Hugh Jackman Wolverine, Wesley Snipes Blade, Not dead Tony Stark, Young Cap or old Cap, Tobey Spider-Man. Let's get fucking crazy and expensive.

Expose Holland Spider-Man to the symbiote

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
I see them doing it and pulling not only the different heroes but different multiverse as well. Hugh Jackman Wolverine, Wesley Snipes Blade, Not dead Tony Stark, Young Cap or old Cap, Tobey Spider-Man. Let's get fucking crazy and expensive.

Expose Holland Spider-Man to the symbiote
This is what I was thinking.

Getting teleported to Battleworld from any uni/multiverse gives Feige the "excuse" to bring anyone back...anyone.

If he pulled this off and we get people like prime Cap back in...I think I'd rise into a ball of pure light lol.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hickman remains a genius for taking what was otherwise a fun, dumb crossover meant to sell action figures & use its foundations to end the 616 with it. there's so many moments in the illuminati/avengers stuff building up to the end & that event with god emperor DOOM that i'd kill to see on the big screen

It's just God Doom.
"God emperor" gets tossed around because so many CHUDs are into comics.

This is what I was thinking.

Getting teleported to Battleworld from any uni/multiverse gives Feige the "excuse" to bring anyone back...anyone.

If he pulled this off and we get people like prime Cap back in...I think I'd rise into a ball of pure light lol.

Almost every Marvel character was killed and brought back by the end of Secret Wars 2015. I think less than ten people dodged that. Reed, Doom, Molecule Man, Peter Parker, a few others. Maybe destroyed is a better word than killed. But some just died normally and came back, like Thanos, Dr. Strange, Terrax...

Last edited:

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Actually what would be neat is a bit of all off the above.

Earth is the primary setting per Secret Wars II and a human looking Beyonder as an antagonist. The "Slay your enemies and all you desire shall yours!" and the desire to understand good and evil aspect from Secret Wars I. And then have it all go to hell, reality is going to be destroyes and Doom steals the power and create the Battleworld.

Could easily be a three movie epic with tie in movies in between.

You need the build up of The Avengers vs The Illuminati too. Disney Plus that shit.

May 24, 2019
I think while they build the Avengers back up they'll need to cool it on the universe shattering stuff.

Last edited:

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
It's just God Doom.
"God emperor" gets tossed around because so many CHUDs are into comics.
I'm 95% certain that there's one of Hickman's stylistic white pages in the beginning of Secret Wars #1 explicitly calling him God Emperor Doom but I can't find it via Google.

EDIT: Just checked my copy and it's actually Secret Wars #2.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm 95% certain that there's one of Hickman's stylistic white pages in the beginning of Secret Wars #1 explicitly calling him God Emperor Doom but I can't find it via Google. And my copy of the book is in a different room and I can't be bothered to check.

You're right.
It's a chapter break in issue #2. The data page in #1 just calls him Doctor Doom. Weird. I don't think anyone calls him God Emperor Doom anywhere in the dialog.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
If they did it, it would be the newer one but in reality the Secret Wars storyline is just too childish and I don't think would translate well to the MCU so I don't think they'd ever do it.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hickman's New Avengers and Secret Wars are honestly the biggest things I want to see on the big screen.
If they ever do it, I'd rather they take their time and line up all these dominoes meticulously. That means having a proper established Doom, having the Illuminati, and start the Incursion game from there. It feels like it's going to take a decade if it ever happens.

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Like you said, they are building up the multiverse which will collapse into one Battleworld. The MCU event will be mainly based off the 2015, hopefully

the original Secret Wars is too basic to be the main basis of an MCU event, imo

Taking inspiration from the original Secret Wars and enriching it is a much healthy path for a series of movies than trying it with 2015 ones from my point of view, and they could also mix 1984 as a base with 2015 concepts as a good compromise.

On a personal note I'm certainly convinced that Secret Wars is going to be next end of cycle "Infinity War".

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Hickman's New Avengers and Secret Wars are honestly the biggest things I want to see on the big screen.
If they ever do it, I'd rather they take their time and line up all these dominoes meticulously. That means having a proper established Doom, having the Illuminati, and start the Incursion game from there. It feels like it's going to take a decade if it ever happens.

I can't wait for Captain Marvel vs War Machine. One is life, one is death.