• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It had not occurred to me but there are cases in which relatives with good intention buy consoles but they are confused (we all remember the problems of Wii U).

So, do you think that this Christmas there will be many children to whom their relatives buy PS5 games on disk but their console will not be able to read them?

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I would hope that if you gave your kid a disc when they have the Digital Edition that they would be able to tell you that they can't use it without opening the game so that you can return it.

But I also haven't really heard about any issues with people buying the One S All Digital Edition.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Possibly, it could happen. Hoepfuuly the person instore would help with that.

I think it's also likely that some kids will get One X instead of the Series X. The names too similar, but at lease they look different, unlike the Wii and Wii U.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
This information will be very, very visible and I don't think there will be any widespread confusion.

Also since a lot of families use online wishlists these days, there's even less chance of that occurring.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
This is just talking from my ass, but could Sony put a game key on physical releases to use that game on a digital ps5?
That will avoid some problems with uninformed buyers and the physical version can still be re-sold or used on another system as long as you don't input the key on a digital ps5. That would require an unique ID for every copy of the game though.

But I don't think they go that way with this, sadly.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I think the biggest issues with digital only and parents will be using up all the internet to download half a game if American and then finding out PS5 only has enough storage space to hold 6 games, 7 max if you're lucky

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is just talking from my ass, but could Sony put a game key on physical releases to use that game on a digital ps5?
That will avoid some problems with uninformed buyers and the physical version can still be re-sold or used on another system as long as you don't input the key on a digital ps5. That would require an unique ID for every copy of the game though.

What happens if I redeem the digital key and then try to sell on the physical disc to some unsuspecting buyer?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

This is literally what MS originally tried to do for the Xbox this gen.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that thought had occurred to me a bit. Hopefully Sony makes it very clear (especially on the box itself) that they do not take discs...

Alternatively, Sony offered a USB 3.0+ and/or C add on to "upgrade" to use a UBD, but only usable for installations and authorizing games (or something), but I could see them not going that route.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Possibly. The box should emphasize that it is digital only. This is far more "mainstream" than the Xbox One SAD and so could lead to further complications.

Honestly, they should have pulled a Nintendo Wii U era and released the more expensive one in black or grey. Make it easier to distinguish. Maybe even invert the colore.

My other concern as mentioned is the storage. I know MS has cards that match the SSD speeds and external HDD support for One games. I know Sony has planned support for all external HDD/SSD, but will they be able to run games like Ratchet or will people have to move over? This is where leveraging the cloud and new compression techniques come in handy and I believe Sony has a good one.

Anyhow, that was a bit of a tangent. For my opinion is someone working towards a BCOMM in Marketing, it's a problem if they don't do a good job distinguishing. Having them look 90+% identical was a mistake and they should have colored one grey or black or inverted the colors. Still, it all comes down to the commercials and the box.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
This is literally what MS originally tried to do for the Xbox this gen.
Not exactly, in my head not redeeming the code meant physical copy could still be sold and used on another console.

What happens if I redeem the digital key and then try to sell on the physical disc to some unsuspecting buyer?
Yep that would be problematic, but they can just put a self-destruct chip on the Blu-Ray that activates when you enter the code!

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
That's like buying the wrong gas for your car, it's on them to know that a big box that says digital on it is actually digital.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I can see this being a problem since Sony pulled all those download cards from stores, so there's literally no way to gift someone a digital game and parents aren't likely to know that

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
It will be the worst christmas ever for a lot of kids...
some will get a PS5 without discdrive, and some will get a xbox one x.
I think the only kids that will be happy are the ones that get the switch.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Guess it just depends on how clear Sony make it on the box really, but it'll always happen in a few cases. It'll be quite the faff if you get the wrong one.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Yes. Parents will mistake it for a beautiful piece of furniture and accidentally sit on it.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I think the worse outcome would be grandparents, aunts, uncle's, etc who buy a digital only version for a kid without decent internet. But honestly, with how many games are getting launched broken and needing day one patches, I'm not sure I'd still be gaming if I didn't have good internet...

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it'll be a big problem. However, I would love to see a method to somehow convert physical into digital.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Best-case scenario for consumer -- Have a code with each physical/retail disc pack:
  • If code is redeemed, then the physical copy can't be resold/reused on any other account
  • If disc is inserted and game installed through the disc, then the code can't be redeemed/resold to any other account
In both cases, the account gets a digital version of the said game. That will allow me to play Dragon's Dogma without taking out the Forza 3 disc, goddamit!