• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
You're joking right? Anyone who's been around the block knows exactly why, especially if you've gone into any thread about any jrpg, this one included, with choice quotes like:

"Anime" is a stigma around here, it just auto-turns people away regardless of what it is. That's a no-brainer, and many people are "proud" of that. Western markets continue to push that narrative and JP devs are fully aware of that when they consider how to market outside of Japan
That goes both ways though.
Anime and manga are massively increasing in popularity again. Especially lately.
And many of the people who would be be interested in this game in the first place are buying it because it's a cool looking action game with anime stylings.

Maybe it might turn away some people. But chances are those people wouldn't of bought the game in the first place.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
How many of you guys have even been in a physical game store during the pandemic? I have feeling most sales of this game were online, buying digitally and ordering physical off Amazon. So I don't think the cover matters much. especially when the back of the box is anime in your face.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Someone at Bamco clearly thinks "hiding" the anime is good for sales. They're doing the same thing, albeit to a lesser degree, for Tales of Arise by swapping out the hand drawn cover art for cg renders. We're long past the era of western publishers swapping covers just because they feel like it, so it's odd.

They must have data showing this works for sales. I don't understand how the art change could sway anyone though. Even if someone gets tricked into thinking the aesthetic is different, they're going to find out about the anime the minute they look at anything else besides the cover.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
no steam demo and no switch release made sure I wouldn't buy the game day one tbh, those seem like bigger factors than a box art

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
There's nothing terribly wrong about the western cover, it's just bland but I doubt it has any bearing on sales. I'm sure the game managed to find its target audience, and the demo, as I understand it, was good enough to convince some people new to the game.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
The game just doesn't seem like anything special. I would have checked it out if it were on Gamepass, but that's it.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this game seems really generic. like those shows that people pass over because there's more appealing shows in the same season.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The anime fan persecution complex in some of y'all.

Like, outside of Final Fantasy, pretty much every successful JRPG franchise in the west looks like "traditional" modern anime. People go goo goo for Persona, Genshin Impact (yes, I know, not Japanese developers, nobody cares), Pokemon has been leaning more into it, etc

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Code Vein only sold on the DS premise which it sucked at (weak combat and copy and paste environments). This game had no big name brand to piggy back on.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find the comments on it being "generic" weird. there aren't many futuristic, anime-as-fuck, action games out there. and there's been good amounts of gameplay before launch including a demo, so I can't say the game suffered from "marketing that didn't tell you what this was"

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I never saw marketing for this and bought it day 1 on XBOX so for me no. I do not base buying on marketing or box arts I go with user impressions and reviews always. So I hope this didn't affect sales.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I do not know why everyone keeps acting like this very generic anime looking front cover is so so much better than the other. At least the other kinds of leans into what aspect of the game's visual identity is more unique (albeit, a bit uncannily like Helghast). They're both very dull, meh covers.
This, the Japanese cover is very busy, it's hardly a looker.
And all it shows off is that it's an anime game
I much prefer the western one even if it is simple and has awkward blank space in the middle

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think box art really matters much for sales these days. Reviews, streamers and word of mouth is what usually decides how much a game sells.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
I think it will be alright at the end, but a lot of people were expecting Code Vein 2 and not this. An anime souls clone was the selling point, this one is a tougher sale

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I'm clearly in the minority here, but this game flew under my radar entirely because of its "doesn't want to advertise it's an anime game" marketing. Aside from Nintendo Directs, I don't watch PR conferences, so the only reason I'd have checked out the trailer/demo is if the marketing looked interesting (it didn't) or via word-of-mouth and the latter only picked up last month.

I'll check out the demo once my partner is done with the PS4.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
You're joking right? Anyone who's been around the block knows exactly why, especially if you've gone into any thread about any jrpg, this one included, with choice quotes like:

"Anime" is a stigma around here, it just auto-turns people away regardless of what it is. That's a no-brainer, and many people are "proud" of that. Western markets continue to push that narrative and JP devs are fully aware of that when they consider how to market outside of Japan
Bamco is the big anime publisher though. From licensed titles to originals nearly everything it puts out is incredibly anime.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
I find the comments on it being "generic" weird. there aren't many futuristic, anime-as-fuck, action games out there. and there's been good amounts of gameplay before launch including a demo, so I can't say the game suffered from "marketing that didn't tell you what this was"
It's genuinely one of the least generic things to come out recently... I guess some people will just use that word for anything that isn't appealing to them. Or more likely anything that seems 'too anime'.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because it's sitting at 80 on metacritic and is anime without an established license.
I rather doubt Metacritic had anything to do with it, and honestly believe people (companies and consumers alike) overstate its significance to sales for most games. Easily one of the worst things about the industry. Not giving a rat's ass about what any game's Metascore ends up being myself, I'm under the impression that most games from major publishers end up having their secretly weighed scores land in the 80s range, with the overwhelming majority of 90s range games being blockbuster AAA titles that would've sold millions upon millions anyway.

On topic, people who already like anime stuff would already be inclined to look into Scarlet Nexus, while people who don't are unlikely to change their mind. Doesn't seem likely that boxart factored in at retail, but trying to hide what the game is as it did can be argued as counterproductive. And the audience for games like this just isn't on Xbox, no matter how much marketing money they put into trying to change that, with the average Xbox user apparently not interested in trying it unless Gamepass hands it to them.
It's genuinely one of the least generic things to come out recently... I guess some people will just use that word for anything that isn't appealing to them. Or more likely anything that seems 'too anime'.
That's all it is. Easier to just use a blanket dismissal regardless of what the word chosen for it actually means instead of being bothered to articulate anything.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it isn't doing well because no one's heard of it...
It's certainly had no shortage of TV ads, something which no other Bamco games ever actually get at this point. Though of course, said ads are part of the Xbox-centered marketing, and naturally they make no mention of the PlayStation versions, so still not all that helpful in selling people on it.