• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will they release this year

• Yes both come out in 2020

Votes: 229 49.4%
  • PS5 does, XSX slips to 21

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • XSX does, PS5 slips to 21

Votes: 59 12.7%
  • Both slip to 21

Votes: 171 36.9%

• Total voters

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Given every thing that is going on (and because I am bored and going stir crazy) I was curious what other people think will happen with the PS5 and XSX.
I am guessing they both skip to Spring 21. If they do come out this year I think they will be insanely supply constrained. Thoughts?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LegalJointAtlanticspadefish-size_restricted.gif

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
I feel confident about the XSX showing up in 2020. if Microsoft ships their console, I'm sure Sony will ready or not.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Unless my info is incorrect, which it may be so don't hold me to this but I'm lead to believe that at least the Xbox is on schedule for a November release still.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Think they will both launch in 2020 but in a more limited fashion than they would want...

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
XSX gets released in 2020 in a number of limited countries, like Xbox One. PS5 slips to 2021 to release everywhere simultaneously.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I think xbox will.

I dont think PS5 will.

Neither are doing a worldwide launch.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Either they're both releasing in 2020 or they're both getting delayed, ain't no way in hell any of them will give the competition an extra year of sales, even by a few months after the PS3 situation.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
With games getting delayed, the consoles should get delayed, IMO. I can say I'll be holding out until next year either way. I'll wait for a special edition PS5 bundle of sorts with what will likely include the first must-have exclusive.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Both will launch this year...can't see one going and one slipping, I don't think one would push if they knew the other was launching in 2020.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't only hardware, devs are working from home or not at all, which will severely impact launch day games if they release this year.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. Too risky of a market to throw out both new hardware and software to support it.

At least you'll have more time to save if you still have a home to live in next year.

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
The problem isn't only hardware, devs are working from home or not at all, which will severely impact launch day games if they release this year.

Yep. Though, I find myself working longer hours working from home and being in many ways more productive so maybe it will be similar for them (assuming things like VO and Mocap that can't be done from home are complete which they should be at this point.)

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
they don't want to cause extra worry but i see both of them getting delayed. even if the pandemic is fully under control by then, a lot of people lost their jobs or will have less money to go around this whole year. launch games are gonna be a big factor since game development is suffering delays due to the shift to work at home.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they wait until Next year people will be fucking broke, shit is not going to hit the fan until next year. All the effects of this shit are coming for your wallet soon.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
My current hunch is both companies will move heaven and earth to ensure that they launch late this year (November 24 Xbox, December 5 PS5?) with limited launch libraries and only one first party launch title apiece, but they'll make it.

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
My current hunch is both companies will move heaven and earth to ensure that they launch late this year (November 24 Xbox, December 5 PS5?) with limited launch libraries and with only one first party launch title apiece, but they'll make it.

Halo Infinite and what for the PS5?

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
From what we know about FoxConn's human rights violations it's not like the factories will shut down even if Covid rages like wildfire through them, so I doubt production will be impacted. Yeah, both should hit in 2020.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not confident either will launch unless in extremely limited quantities in only the most major markets. The US economy will not recover by Fall and it is only getting worse here.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Phil already said they will release XSX in 2020 even if the supposed launch game(s) delayed(this "if" including Halo Infinite).

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I think that hardware will either be a problem for both of them or nieither
meanwhile I think Xbox risks more as far as software is concerned, if Halo has problems I think they will likely delay the console, while sony can just move TLOU to november

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything they will intentionally release it with very low stock and just claim Corvid prevented and adequate amount of stock. Driving up demand and making people wait in lines for restocks, creating endless news and buzz about their product for months.

When pre-orders go up and you want a console within the first six months, it's probably best to jump on and pre-order a console ASAP.

Jan 31, 2018
Does it make economic sense to release a luxury item like this while as much as a quarter of the population is unemployed?

If the current situation persists or there's a second wave come fall, I would expect both will be delayed.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yes. Both companies have reiterated they will. Sony as late as yesterday, MS as late as last week.

Phil said last week that won't be an issue. He's prepared to launch without Halo, he said. He sounded bullish on hardware but hedging on the games.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not confident either will launch unless in extremely limited quantities in only the most major markets. The US economy will not recover by Fall and it is only getting worse here.

Like you said, though, the US economy is only getting worse. It won't be notably better in the spring. We're heading into a full-on depression. Waiting won't help.

It makes sense to just launch when they can to get some sorely-needed revenue, and try to make the best of it. I'm sure they'll both cut their advertising spend, though. And I wouldn't be surprised if Sony supports the PS4 for longer than they originally anticipated, perhaps even moving some PS5 games to cross-gen.

This new generation is likely to get off to a slower start no matter what Sony and Microsoft do. No sense trying to wait for this to blow over or wait for optimal market conditions.