• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the PS1, PS2 and PS3 stuff in Astro's Playroom is hinting at back-compat?

• Yes

Votes: 71 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 538 88.3%

• Total voters

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, yeah, it's a reach, but look at this:

PS1 controller + some discs:

jYxPWBq.png

PS2 boot cloud:

Y0XSPka.png

The OG PS3 + slim + controller + PSN logo:

Ob5Qq3T.png

The official description of the game reads:
Explore four worlds, each based on PS5's console components.

Is this a playful back-compat tease? Yes? No? Or the equivalent of this gif?

giphy.gif

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's baked into the console/comes with it yeah? Maybe Astro also acts as a tutorial for backwards compatibility 🤔

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Nah, I think it's just a fun level design thing. I feel like if it were BC to this degree, they would have mentioned it along with PS4 BC during the Cerny talk. I don't really think there's any real reason to hide it, and if there was, I doubt they'd use an entire game to 'hint' at it in some roundabout way.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I think it's just for fun, I feel like they would have already talked BC with the opening.

They could be saving that when they announce the price to soften the blow but I find that unlikely.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
For casual fans and Astro teaches you about how it works and that some games might not be compatible and we take a trip down memory lane

I dunno

I mean, if they are making backward compatibility such a complicated thing they need an entire game to explain how to do it, I feel like someone fucked up somewhere lol

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Nah I think it's just some nostalgia stuff for a quick one to two hour free thing that comes with the console.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Not even a little bit, Sony has been in the game of games long enough to have Nintendo like references to their past now. If there was BC of the sort, they'd likely have led with that info, not hide it in a pack in game.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if they are making backward compatibility such a complicated thing they need an entire game to explain how to do it, I feel like someone fucked up somewhere lol
I don't think Playroom is meant to explain the features of the console so much as flex them, if you know what I mean? Your console can do x, it can also do y, also we made the visualisation a sick free 3D platformer, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really think it's even likely. It's just...

giphy.gif

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the presentation (besides GTAV) focused entirely on showing PS5 games, so it's possble. I still really hope they're holding BC as a card to play later, even if they have to skip PS3.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
No.
At this point I am expecting PS4 BC
and PSNOW with the same library it has now.

I don't care about PS3 but Sony REALLY should get PS1/2 games on PS5. There are so many great games I want to replay !

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I would lose my shit if they made this happen, but no, I don't think they were hinting at anything.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Y'all gotta stop doing this to yourselves.

Any sort of mass BC pre-PS4 isn't happening. You'll get a small curated selection at most.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
4 gens of back compat would be incredible but i'm not getting my hopes up, and honestly i just want ps4 games so i can sell my ps4 for some cash before the ps5 comes out

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The wanton speculation over nothing and 'concerned' threads over the ps5 is getting annoying to me...

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I understand not thinking this is hinting at anything but consider this:

Before the event, Cerny talked about the speed of the SSD and what it allows for by showing they got Spider-Man to run on PS5. What did we see at the event? Miles Morales.

Before the event, Cerny talked about how the adaptive triggers would make it feel like your actually pulling on a bow. What did we see at the event? Horizon 2.

Before the event, Cerny presented a version of Gran Turismo Sport running on PS5 to showcase the haptic feedback. What did we see at the event? Gran Turismo 7.

With that in mind, suddenly the trailer for Astro's Playroom becomes pretty suspicious!

So do I think they're hinting at stuff again?

No. But that's just cause I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Though at this point, with patents they've filed regarding backwards compatibility, the fact that Cerny brought up advantages of SSDs and 3D audio in his presentation using Jak and Daxter and Dead Space respectively, the fact that an unofficial emulator with no access to their documentation can now run, from start to finish, the majority of PS3 games on a variety of computers weaker than the PS5 and now I guess this Astro thing, I won't be surprised if there's emulation for all their home consoles on PS5, with PS3 being most important here given they already have PS1 and PS2 emulators (and PSP).

It's just a matter of whether they care to do it (the state of PS2 games on PS4 and absence of anything else suggests they don't but Microsoft's big push for multi-gen BC gives me some hope). I can see them just testing and getting PS3 games to work perfectly and then putting them on the store in batches, like Xbox did for 360 games I believe, rather than some widespread thing like they're doing with PS4.

Last edited:

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I thought it was more a nod/easter egg to Playstation's history. Same with a Vita showing up in TLOU II. Touting legacy compatibility with all their past consoles is a bullet point they should have revealed by now, unless they intend it to be the 2nd last thing they announce before the PS5 price.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I could (and would love to) be wrong, but I imagine if Sony had anything more substantial to say about backwards compatiblity, they would actually say it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely just some throwbacks to the history of the Playstation, not hinting at BC.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think the dream is dead tbh, especially now we have a disc less version. Shame too, since I have so many PS2 games.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought the same thing just based on the "levels based on the PS5's components"...so in a way it would imply backwards compability. Why would PS2 background be a level of PS5 component?

...or it could be just a cute throwback.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I understand not thinking this is hinting at anything but consider this:

Before the event, Cerny talked about the speed of the SSD and what it allows for by showing they got Spider-Man to run on PS5. What did we see at the event? Miles Morales.

Before the event, Cerny talked about how the adaptive triggers would make it feel like your actually pulling on a bow. What did we see at the event? Horizon 2.

Before the event, Cerny presented a version of Gran Turismo Sport running on PS5 talked about how to showcase the haptic feedback. What did we see at the event? Gran Turismo 7.

With that in mind, suddenly the trailer for Astro's Playroom becomes pretty suspicious!

So do I think they're hinting at stuff again?

No. But that's just cause I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Though at this point, with patents they've filed regarding backwards compatibility, the fact that Cerny brought up advantages of SSDs and 3D audio in his presentation using Jak and Daxter and Dead Space respectively, the fact that an unofficial emulator with no access to their documentation can now run, from start to finish, the majority of PS3 games on a variety of computers weaker than the PS5 and now I guess this Astro thing, I won't be surprised if there's emulation for all their home consoles on PS5, with PS3 being most important here given they already have PS1 and PS2 emulators (and PSP).

It's just a matter of whether they care to do it (the state of PS2 games on PS4 and absence of anything else suggests they don't but Microsoft's big push for multi-gen BC gives me some hope). I can see them just testing and getting PS3 games to work perfectly and then putting them on the store in batches, like Xbox did for 360 games I believe, rather than some widespread thing like they're doing with PS4.
They also had a wireframe map of Boleteria Castle from Demon's Souls in the same thing and randomly presented an example from Dead Space (the writer tweeted out to watch the showcase because he was working on a game, but deleted the tweet after his game was a no show).

That doesn't make this any more likely, but they're putting a bizarre amount of effort into teasing stuff.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
If they had something this substantial, why did they not mention it during their reveal? I would think they would want to generate as much hype as possible, and this isn't something they'd want to wait with announcing.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
If they had something this substantial, why did they not mention it during their reveal? I would think they would want to generate as much hype as possible, and this isn't something they'd want to wait with announcing.
Yeah, I don't know. They didn't even mention Astro's Playroom was free in the actual trailer which is bizarre.