• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Between collections of previously remastered games, a new port of Skyward Sword and of course, the possible release of Breath of the Wild 2, there is a lot that Nintendo could do to celebrate Zelda's 35th Anniversary next year. One thing that I'm hoping for is the remakes of the Oracle games.

They seem like a no brainer since most of the work is done when the engine and assets for LA already exist. The game also sold well and was well received, so it seems like it's easy money for Nintendo, and also an easy opportunity to buff their line up next year when the next gen consoles will be around.

One problem, of course, is how would they tackle them? Include both games in one package doesn't seem likely for current Nintendo, especially when LA was sold for full price without much of additional content. However releasing them separately at the same time for full price each would be maybe pushing a little too far, even for Nintendo. What are the other options?

So do you want these games to happen? And what would you want from them? I would personally love to have them as I've never played Seasons and I'll admit it's a bit hard to go back to it now because of the need to constantly remap the items.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It could, but it won't - Breath of the Wild 2, Skyward Sword HD, and a collection of some sort is plenty for next year.

I genuinely think a Minish Cap remake would happen before Oracle.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful. Those games are underrated as hell and barely talked about. But a double remake combo for 60$ would be sweet.
People have been talking about SS remastered/HD and metroid prime trilogy HD for so long but so far nothing on the radar. SM3D all stars is the new norm I guess.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i don't see it either with all the other Zelda stuff we will probably get next year.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It could, but it won't - Breath of the Wild 2, Skyward Sword HD, and a collection of some sort is plenty for next year.

Same here, on the first point. Good point about Minish Cap, never thought about that possibility but I agree it's likelier.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think the oracle games would get any remakes as those were developed by capcom. why not remake zelda 1, 2 or lttp first?

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I loved those games, especially Seasons. Controlling the weather was such a cool mechanic. I really hope a remake like LA is in the pipeline.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I wish, Ages is god tier and I would loooove a Link's Awakening treatment done to it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I love the games but I really didn't like the LA remake's art style so I'd want it to be different if they did remake. Would make for a fun 2 in 1.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved those games, especially Seasons. Controlling the weather was such a cool mechanic. I really hope a remake like LA is in the pipeline.
Sounds cool on paper but it was so underused. Ages is definitely more refined. Even the puzzles are definitely more engaging than the basic ass ones in seasons. Still like both though.

OP
OP
Leo

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

I don't see them remaking Minish Cap with the same assets as the LA remake, and I also don't think it needs a remake, it already looks gorgeous, but yeah, Nintendo will do what they will do.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't see them remaking Minish Cap with the same assets as the LA remake, and I also don't think it needs a remake, it already looks gorgeous, but yeah, Nintendo will do what they will do.
Agreed on both points. I don't think LA asset reuse would happen much if they did this, just from a similar framework. It's been a long time since we saw Toon Link and I'm sure Nintendo would like to give him a new HD outing of sorts someday.

Minish Cap has some of the most beautiful pixel art I've ever seen. Probably one of my favourite sprite-based Nintendo games along with Earthbound and Mother 3.

On topic, I'd love each 2D Zelda remake or new outing to come up with a fresh new artstyle, reinventing itself stylistically like the 3D games. Much as I love the LA aesthetic, I hope it doesn't get reused.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Absofuckinglutely. The opportunity to give Zelda the Pokemon treatement with version exclusives is easy money.

Firstly, Grezzo was working on the Link's Awakening remake and they haven't unveiled what they're currently working on.

More importantly, Minish Cap is a Game Boy Advance title. The Orcale games are Game Boy Color games. The latter is in more dire need of a visual facelift.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Next year we will problably have AoC DLC, a collection of some sort, SSHD and possibly BotW2.

That's already a lot. Maybe if BotW2 misses 2021.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I would love it, but I think the chances of such a thing ever happening are very very low.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is this unlikely due to them not being games made by Nintendo's dev teams, it is unlikely because I would love it to happen and I'm rarely allowed to have nice things.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say.

I expect Grezzo are doing *something* for next year. The question is whether that something was porting their OOT3d and MM3d games to switch, or was it another remake of a different title?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please no. I'd rather have OoT and MM 3D HD remasters on Switch.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I feel like the trading system would be bothersome to most people nowadays even if they exchanged passwords for something else, so I think it would be better to have them as one package and let you choose the order, and then change the individual passwords for simple scripts or items you could activate by switching between the titles after starting the second one.

I have a feeling that they would basically go the Fire Emblem Fates route by selling them separatedly and have you buying the second game digitally.

Having all that said, the WWHD + TPHD combo is probably the safest scenario for Zelda in 2021.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the trading system would be bothersome to most people nowadays even if they exchanged passwords for something else, so I think it would be better to have them as one package and let you choose the order. I have a feeling that they would basically go the Fire Emblem Fates route by selling them separatedly and have you buying the second game digitally.

Having all that said, the WWHD + TPHD combo is probably the safest scenario for Zelda in 2021.

The trading/link system stuff would be very simple on switch. They'd just read the save file from the other game, even if they're not one package.

I feel like links awakening sold too well for them to bundle both in to one game at regular RRP though.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Too much effort on games they don't seem especially bothered by (despite them being excellent). Far more likely imo they'll just put the GBC games up on the eShop or something for 6 bucks each or something.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
The trading/link system stuff would be very simple on switch. They'd just read the save file from the other game, even if they're not one package.

I feel like links awakening sold too well for them to bundle both in to one game at regular RRP though.
Yeah, I edited my post a bit right after. It's not so much the passwords but the fact that you had to juggle between the two games, despite having the first "quest" finished.
I think you're right about the pricing, though. Iirc both Oracle games individually would be longer than LA, so that's why I imagined the Fates system being most likely.

Anyways, as much as I loved these entries, it also -feels- to me like we haven't got a new 2D/topdown Zelda game since Spirit Tracks, so I hope we get one at some point.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I think they might, yeah. My preference has always been for Grezzo to create a new top-down Zelda using their work on Link's Awakening, but it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo decided they had an opportunity to revisit the Oracle games on Switch.

For Zelda's anniversary, I'm not convinced we get a collection as many others expect. Nintendo decided against that for the 25th anniversary (partially because they'd already done a Mario collection the previous year). I also think, given Nintendo plan to keep Switch going for a while, and given I think we'll see a significant refresh rather than brand new console generation any time soon from Nintendo, they'll hold on to the various 3D Zelda games and release them gradually as full price releases.

Finally, my other theory, which is mostly wishful thinking, is that one anniversary release for Zelda will be a remastered version of Four Swords Adventures as a limited time release eShop title in 2021. I'd expect Grezzo to handle that, and that it would be a smaller scale project before another Grezzo-developed Zelda launches in 2022.

I think we get AoC DLC, Four Swords Adventures Anniversary Edition, Skyward Sword HD (maybe Monolith Soft's second production group are doing this), and Breath of the Wild 2 in 2021.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
You don't celebrate an anniversary with only 3D games. I fully expect an older 2D Zelda. I personally think Nintendo will rerelease Four Swords Adventures for a limited time.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Nah it'd be overkill. As it is, with AoC, BotW 2 and potential ports incoming, I can't see how they won't cannibalise each other. Adding a 2D game to the mix is a bad idea when they can just wait another year and not have to worry about that. Most people probably can't justify buying 3 Zelda games alone in a year, let alone more.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Does Capcom being the developer put a wrench into any remake plans?

I'd really love it. I never played Ages as a kid, but I really enjoyed Seasons.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Not only is this unlikely due to them not being games made by Nintendo's dev teams, it is unlikely because I would love it to happen and I'm rarely allowed to have nice things.

The Oracle games are canon in the Zelda timeline so they're part of the mainline Zelda franchise. Also, Grezzo can just modify the Links Awakening remake assets to create the Oracle games.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The Zelda team references games made by outside developers, unlike current Mario, but I think referencing them and actually bothering to remake one of their games is a completely different deal.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they remake them, they are amazing games. However I don't think they'll be releasing stuff beyond HW:AoC, SSHD, BotW2 and maybe a collection in the span of one year. Maybe in 2022.

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
It wasn't in their interests to remake Mario 64, so it seems highly unlikely seeing as it's not as big a brand.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Was about to reply with something skeptical about BoTW2 next year, when I realised it's been nearly 4 years. Damn.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't see them getting remade anytime soon, neither do i want to see them get remade in the same style as LA.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
The Oracle games are better than many, many mainstream Zelda games. Wish Nintendo would give them the Link's Awakening treatment, would be a dream come true.

OP
OP
Leo

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking they could sell them separately for 60 dollars each and then sell a bundle with both for 90 dollars or something. That's probably what they would do.

People are saying next year is too busy already and that might be true, but that doesn't mean we won't get them somewhere down the line. I really think it's easy money, a lot of the work is done, and they seem interested in keeping 2D Zelda alive and well (and have been rewarded for this as both ALBW and LA sold very well), and they haven't trusted Grezzo to make a mainline game yet, so the Oracle games are the next logical step.

Please no. I'd rather have OoT and MM 3D HD remasters on Switch.

I don't see how one excludes another?

The Oracle remakes would be treated as new games, not ports or remasters, akin to LA remake.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Oracle remakes patterned after the Link's Awakening remake would be great. My guess is we won't get them, though, or that if we do it won't be next year.

I feel like they'd have to sell them as a double pack or as some kind of remake that blends them together.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the most significant things to happen for Zelda's 30th anniversary were a Skyward Sword download release on Wii U, a trailer for BotW, some amiibo and Zelda concerts.

Yet for the 35th people seem to think we're getting 4 or 5 game releases in a year and this is during a pandemic

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
The Oracle games are canon in the Zelda timeline so they're part of the mainline Zelda franchise. Also, Grezzo can just modify the Links Awakening remake assets to create the Oracle games.

I'm not sure how that relates to what I stated.

The Oracle games were developed by Capcom. There may in fact be some sort of licensing thing that Nintendo doesn't retain the full rights and cannot put them out without Capcom's involvement.

OP
OP
Leo

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how that relates to what I stated.

The Oracle games were developed by Capcom. There may in fact be some sort of licensing thing that Nintendo doesn't retain the full rights and cannot put them out without Capcom's involvement.

Nintendo has rereleased them on the 3DS, so even if there is any contractual arrengement to be done, I hardly think that would be an issue.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would love nothing more. Those two are my favorite zelda games, it would be amazing to see remakes being announced.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom isn't an issue considering they developed the first Four Swords game and that game was later re-released with extra content (and developed by Grezzo) on DSi as an anniversary title.

It's very much like how Bamco is hired to help develop a lot of Nintendo's current games. I don't think there's any concern about whether Nintendo owns Mario Kart 8.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I don't think next year assuming BOTW2 is scheduled but maybe the year after.

Nov 13, 2017
GBC ports yes, but I don't think the demand his enough to warrant the resources. Maybe the b-team could recycling LA HD's assets at some point in the future.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't care for remakes but i'd really like for a Castlevania like collection of the games in a new console.

Or purchasable on the eShop somehow. Oh wait they are. 6 euros for 3DS. I have to buy these.

Last edited: