• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the PS5's launch be as successful as the PS4 in terms of sales WW?

• Yes, The PS5 will sell as many units as the PS4 launches aligned.

• No, I don't think it will have as successful a launch.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
No, and simply because you cannot count on MS making the same glaring mistakes they did before, mistakes which clearly aided Sony's initial launch and subsequent momentum the entire generation.

The PS4 was so weak in the games department its first year and still outsold XB1 like 3:1.

That kind of dominance was clearly competition aided. Those market conditions won't exist in the next launch.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Unless Microsoft screws up again I think launch aligned it will start off slow. It will pick up over time though, and i think it will match the PS4. I don't believe consoles are going anywhere.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Yes it does. Many people bought coming from 360 hype thinking QB would next Alan Wake , Halo 5 which would be good solid Halo game , Scalebound , etc etc all mattered to Xbox fast competitive start. Even shit like Ryse and Dead Rising helped X1 to sell more during periods

Now people turned to playstation with Spider Man and God of War particularly no way those people wont buy next PS5 instead of Xbox

Yeah, I am sure most PS4 owners are very pleased with their console and I don't see a reason why they should switch the platform.

Especially with confirmed BC.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they don't pull a pS3 or Xbox one PR move disaster. I say yes. An audience of 100 million is no joke if you don't piss them off. Also switch doesn't compete with them directly, they compliment each other

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it does. Many people bought coming from 360 hype thinking QB would next Alan Wake , Halo 5 which would be good solid Halo game , Scalebound , etc etc all mattered to Xbox fast competitive start. Even shit like Ryse and Dead Rising helped X1 to sell more during periods

Now people turned to playstation with Spider Man and God of War particularly no way those people wont buy next PS5 instead of Xbox

If MS provides compelling hardware and games, people will buy it. It's silly to think otherwise.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
If MS provides compelling hardware and games, people will buy it. It's silly to think otherwise.
People literally went from PS2 to 360 because it was released early , 3 lost a lot of exc franchises like tekken,ff,PES etc to Xbox , 360 had a lot of exclusives ,digital store , much better online

Why would anyone switch from PS4 ? While last big 2 xbox games has 50 metascore while PS4 getting amazing games to days. Last of us , Dreams , Medevil,Death Stranding etc. People remember these. Microsoft is like all talk but no action kid

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
People literally went from PS2 to 360 because it was released early , 3 lost a lot of exc franchises like tekken,ff,PES etc to Xbox , 360 had a lot of exclusives ,digital store , much better online

Why would anyone switch from PS4 ? While last big 2 xbox games has 50 metascore while PS4 getting amazing games to days. Last of us , Dreams , Medevil,Death Stranding etc. People remember these. Microsoft is like all talk but no action kid

I'm sorry, you're right, no one will buy the next Xbox. MS should just cancel the project and bow out of the games industry.

I don't even understand how this topic is fitting for hot takes on the Xbox.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I'm sorry, you're right, no one will buy the next Xbox. MS should just cancel the project and bow out of the games industry.

I don't even understand how this topic is fitting for hot takes on the Xbox.

They are releasing those devices to just compliment their services. They arent that competitive in race anymore. They are simply trying to get more money from services and users. So next xbox probably wont sell 30-35 million combined but they may get profit because no stupid deals like NFL,COD etc just pure profit

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
had to say no but I don't think that's bad. the PS4 was an incredibly successful console, it's not easy to just pull that off every time. with a reinvigorated MS ready to compete you've gotta figure this gen won't be as lopsided as the Xbox One/PS4 gen was, at least in certain key markets like North America. and we don't even have to mention the Wii U. so no it won't reach PS4 levels but I don't think that should be the expectation. the PS4 will be only the 4th console to cross 100 million sold. also reading the specs interview it feels like the PS5 won't be able to hit that $399 price point which was a super crucial aspect to the PS4's early dominance.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will have a successful launch but no where near PS4 numbers. I still think they should hold off until 2021 but I guess that's not happening so welp

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

360 had great first years but the second half of the gen was bad imo and PS3 gots also games like Mass Effect or Bioshock.
PS3 delivered great last years and that was imo also a reason why many switched to the PS4.

And this gen I see a similar situation because people will not forget games like Spider Man, GoW, Tlou2 etc...

MS must proof that they can more than Halo, Gears and Forza.
The best times of these IP's are imo over.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
They are releasing those devices to just compliment their services. They arent that competitive in race anymore. They are simply trying to get more money from services and users. So next xbox probably wont sell 30-35 million combined but they may get profit because no stupid deals like NFL,COD etc just pure profit

LOL sure. They aren't trying to be competitive which is why they purchased 7 studios in the last year and are working on two consoles to compete on the high and low end.

Thank you for showing me the light.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
360 had great first years but the second half of the gen was bad imo and PS3 gots also games like Mass Effect or Bioshock.
PS3 delivered great last years and that was imo also a reason why many switched to the PS4.

And this gen I see a similar situation because people will not forget games like Spider Man, GoW, Tlou2 etc...

MS must proof that they can more than Halo, Gears and Forza.
The best time of these IP's are imo over.
For 360
First half before Uncharted 2 GoW3 , before 3rd party realized power of PS3 they got lots of exclusive games or much better versions. Also ps3 was cheapened during that. After 2010 they brought new audience with Kinect .

Sora78

Jun 3, 2018
PS5's launch will be as successful as the PS4 if Sony has strong exclusives at launch. And if the price does not exceed 499$

xYi3qyG.jpg
RkWQ9Ir.jpg
xcWAMkF.jpg

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
had to say no but I don't think that's bad. the PS4 was an incredibly successful console, it's not easy to just pull that off every time. with a reinvigorated MS ready to compete you've gotta figure this gen won't be as lopsided as the Xbox One/PS4 gen was, at least in certain key markets like North America. and we don't even have to mention the Wii U. so no it won't reach PS4 levels but I don't think that should be the expectation. the PS4 will be only the 4th console to cross 100 million sold. also reading the specs interview it feels like the PS5 won't be able to hit that $399 price point which was a super crucial aspect to the PS4's early dominance.
It's not even that lopsided in US lol. They are like 3 million behind. It's the rest of the world where the gap is freaking huge. Why do people forget his?

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I don't expect their competition to be as weak this time around, so no. They could goose numbers a bit by launching one of their three big upcoming games day-and-date, though...

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Its launch, like its first week or month, its first holiday? Yes, it will be just as successful and probably even more.

But after that? Probably not. I just don't think people are hungry for next gen as much as they where in 2013.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I think it'll be successful dependent on price and how close it releases to the next Xbox. Seems like Sony will be going second if the PS5 might not release until fall 2020.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
With faster loading and maybe improved performance and upscale of your entire library? I think they can sell it even more.
But don't forget they don't have a lot of units in the market in the first 6 months.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I think it's going to be more muted than before.

Nintendo fans are happily set with their switches.

Xbox has very little momentum at the moment, exclusives have trickled out in recent years for them and with very mixed reception. Their big feather in the cap is 'best console multiplat', but it hasn't translated to huge sales, and also overlaps with doing it better still on PC anyway. Gamepass and Streaming, ehh. Good options, but not compelling ones.

PS has excellent momentum thanks to years of well received exclusives. The fact that PS5 is BC (and almost certainly 'enhance' for PS4 games) means PS4 customers with PS+ and physical+digital libraries/friends will have the easiest way to just go PS5 if they're interested in a 9th gen box, as they keep everything they've paid for. Just like an X1S/X1X customer may decide to go Xbox again because their games/services will carry over.

The price is going to be why I think 9th gen will have an amazing holiday performance before dropping down substantially afterwards. PS4 and X1 both basically sold out first Nov/Dec. Diehard fans will pay whatever the cost at first. But once the initial hysteria passes, reality sets in. As 2014 progressed, sales for the $499 X1 hit the floor, $449 didn't save it, and despite doing 'better', $399 PS4 was basically just steadily plodding along as well until the fall of 2014.

Hugely popular IPs like Fortnite and Minecraft run on toasters, so that's another thing where it will be tougher to push $500 consoles beyond the enthusiast space.

Anyway, overall I expect PS5 to lead, but not at the same pace to begin with. Xbox to do 'better' than X1, but not by a lot, and overall a bit muted 9th gen until mass market pricing hits AND 8th gen is no longer getting supported. PS4 will still be a major force in 2020 and a solid presence in 2021 simply due to economics.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If it's 400 ? Maybe but even this wouldnt be easy with Nintendo and MS being in much stronger position than during the initial PS4 years. People who are invested into their Switches or happy with the Cloud future and GamePass library quality might not be willing or ready to upgrade to other systems that early again.

PS4 was THE follow up system for most of the Wii/PS3/360 crowd to jump on - more or less a no brainer because Nintendo and MS screwed up their initial console messaging. It won't be like this again.

Same for people that just recently upgraded or bought the Pro/One X consoles - the jump from PS360 to PS4 was massive and large parts of the audience have been ready to upgrade for 2-3 years already. Those players might be willing to wait longer before making another jump.

At 500 ? Nah.

Last edited:

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it's reasonably priced and there are good games available at and around launch.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say their first few months might actually be pretty close. When you consider launch window shipments and what is rumoured to be a good launch line up - it will move plenty of units aligned with PS4.

However once things normalize, there are too many factors in play to predict what will happen. Seems pretty unlikely they can pull it off again at PS4 levels. However I'm also not particularly convinced that the Switch is going to have any significant impact on the uptake of the next home console generation (it doesn't seem like it so far).
That leaves Microsoft, Google and Apple as the biggest variables.
My gut feel is that Xcloud/Stadia/streaming platforms will find an audience, but have a reasonably minor impact on the console market - at least for the next few years.

So that leaves the Xbox.
It's obvious Microsoft are going into the next generation with a much better focus than this generation.
However I'm also conscious that the 360 was their most successful console so far. They carried that momentum into the XB1. We can all agree they stuffed the launch with an incredible backfire. However the XB1 still managed to outsell the 360 launch aligned over a long period.

I have no idea how the broader market feel about the Xbox brand and franchises at the moment. It seems to have improved on this forum, but it remains to be seen whether the promise of more console horsepower or the next Halo entry can drive more interest than previous generations.
Assuming it's similar to the 360/XB1 numbers, Sony might have a shot at pulling big numbers again.

Overall it sounds like it will be more difficult this time around, particularly when you consider the economy in many major markets. They also won't have the luxury of MS basically shooting themselves in the foot.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
No. It'll be strong, but MS won't fuck up to the same degree. MS will put at least a bit of a dent in Sony's sales, even if it might not overtake them completely

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even that lopsided in US lol. They are like 3 million behind. It's the rest of the world where the gap is freaking huge. Why do people forget his?

you're assuming that I forgot and that I wasn't speaking directly to that

go back to the 360 gen and look at North American sales then compare to the Xbox One/PS4 split then you'll be on the right track

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
it depends on the launch line-up. but the ps4 launch was NOT a high bar, so i think ps5 is at least gonna match it

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
No because I think it will cost more and I think the appetite for new consoles is slightly different right now.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It will be more sucessfull. They will probably have some pretty big first party heavy hitters for launch, like Death Stranding and maybe Ghost of Tsushima.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Probably. At the end of the day, Sony still has worldwide brand appeal while Microsoft does not. Combine that with it being easier than ever to transition to the new generation because of backwards compatibility and I think retention will be strong. I can easily see way less people moving across ecosystems this time.

people were saying this exact same thing when PS4 launched...

... and it was true. Mid-range CPUs from years before (2010, 2011) were still outperforming the Jaguars at launch. An i5-2500 runs circles around a PS4/Xbone.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
It depends. cause IMO PS4 launch was strong not for what it did good, but cause Microsoft did everything wrong.

whether or not PS5 does as well as PS4 is more about whether or not Xbox puts up a fight. Specs wise, Price, Services.

so far the only thing I believe Xbox has over PS5 will be Xplay (until Sony officially change stances)

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It will sell well.... Will definitely be better than whatever MS releases.

But won't do PS4 numbers. I agree with many here, that was a perfect storm of sorts.

UNLESS it sells at 399. That would be a great price point and would move a lot of consoles.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 lineup was pretty lackluster for the first two years. I expect the PS5 lineup to pretty pretty killer in comparison.

It will sell more, I think.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the services offered as well as (more importantly) the games available at launch...though I predict they'll rely heavily on third party stuff in the first twelve/eighteen months again. Hard to say when we know neither; we also have to consider what Microsoft have planned as well as when their new console launches. I still think Sony/PlayStation are still in a figurative net positive perception going into PS5 if one were to weigh up their success against recent annoyances: cross-play, PS Plus' decreased worth, censorship of particular Japanese games. I don't think it will be significantly more than the PS4 at launch, if at all.