• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do yuo think?

• Yes, they should relate their personal experience with the game.

Votes: 101 6.0%
  • No, they should judge the game by its own merits.

Votes: 1,571 93.9%

• Total voters

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no lol. Why would it?

Do you think the current pandemic should affect how reviewers rate Resident Evil 3?
Yes, they should relate their personal experience with the game.

I think these can be different things, but in general I'm cool for reviewers having politics and commentaries in their reviews if they want, even if the subject is very fantastical.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the answer to that.
Unless she's being pressured to review the game, why not delay the review? or hand it to someone on the team that can separate their feelings with what's happening in real life.

Either way it sucks for reviewers to be put in that situation, I hope the devs aren't punished for something they have no control over.

as long as she articulates why the current crisis is impacting her experience why is her experience less valid? Because it might affect the metacritic score? Fuck that. Reviews are just opinions. Peoples experiences with a game through their own personal lens. As long as they are open and transparent about that, that doesn't make their review or opinion wrong.

There are going to be hundreds of reviews out there for RE3 once the game hits, I'm sure people should be able to find one that more closely matches their own expectations or experiences (or validates their opinion, which, lets be honest, in cases like this, is what most people on this site are after when it comes to review scores)

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Gratitude. I think I'll live.
Hope I didn't come off snarky. :P

Because reviews aren't just about telling people what's good about a game. They can also be a critique of cultural art, and context can be very important depending in the games subject. Movie reviews tend to follow this way if thinking.

People worry too much about a game's scores, just read the text and if you don't like what's being said, move on. Whether a review drops the overall score by 1 point on MC means literally nothing.
I won't hold it against the reviewers, as I said, it's their choice.
Or better yet, just play the game. I haven't read a review in years. :P

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I do not understand what an "objective" review is. I never will. If you want to know what the framerate is like watch a 30 second clip on youtube. If you actually want to understand the content of a game, that's what criticism is for.

Anyway this was a good thread I give it a 13/8, three thumbs up

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Nope, just into idiots
Untitled-design-291.png

For some reason this reminded me of this (just in longer form):
SXjLOZ5.jpg

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the answer to that.
Unless she's being pressured to review the game, why not delay the review? or hand it to someone on the team that can separate their feelings with what's happening in real life.

Either way it sucks for reviewers to be put in that situation, I hope the devs aren't punished for something they have no control over.
In general I think reviews can be more interesting when they have the personality and experiences of the author expressed within it. There may more substance in the world building than we think, for them to make an interesting comparison.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someones feel like, definitely, go for it. Though personally I probably wouldn't care for a reviewer that thinks his personal experience with current pandemic is important enough to affects his judgement, for better or for worst.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Covid-19 is everywhere and we can't stop reading it every 5 minutes even if we want to given the circumstances.

It really shouldn't have a presence in a video game review, of all things, especially if they're going to tank the review because of it. People are looking for an escape in entertainment. They're not looking to entertainment to be blasted with more reality right now.

I mean, they can do it if they want, and lord knows some will, but it just means they'll catch a ridiculous amount of hate and lose credibility as a reviewer to many.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They should include in their reviews whatever they deem to be relevant to their experience with the game.
It should affect the rating if it's significant enough to the author.

Yes, they should relate their personal experience with the game.
No, they should judge the game by its own merits.
Why not both?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018
If someones feel like, definitely, go for it. Though personally I probably wouldn't care for a reviewer that thinks his personal experience with current pandemic is important enough to affects his judgement, for better or for worst.

Reviewers are only human though... They can be scared just like the rest of us, and if that affects their enjoyment of RE3 then that's fair.

I mean shit, if they write it in their review, that because of Corvid19 they couldn't enjoy the game, they're literally doing you, the reader, the favour of clearing up why the didn't like the game so that you can make your own value judgement, based on how YOU feel about the pandemic.

It'd be way worse if they rated it negatively without explaining why.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
No. Covid-19 is everywhere and we can't stop reading it every 5 minutes even if we want to given the circumstances.

It really shouldn't have a presence in a video game review, of all things, especially if they're going to tank the review because of it. People are looking for an escape in entertainment. They're not looking to entertainment to be blasted with more reality right now.

I mean, they can do it if they want, and lord knows some will, but it just means they'll catch a ridiculous amount of hate and lose credibility as a reviewer to many.

Who are you to say what people are looking for when they come to a game or any other form of entertainment?

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I'll stay calm and straightforward in my answer to this, despite wanting to fly off the handle...

No, reviewers should absolutely not change the way they rate RE3 because of current world events.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019

No-one's said anything about tanking the review just because of the outbreak. Just that it might affect the experience of a reviewer which at the end of the day can be a very important factor in any review.

Entertainment products are not exempt from political or societal issues and context being given to a reviewer's thoughts about the game in relation to those as long as the themes are relevant - and here with Coronavirus I think we can easily say that while there are no zombies on the streets, people can make a comparison to a virus outbreak quite easily. These kinds of reviews are no worse than buyer's guide style ones so I'm not sure why it would affect a reviewer's credibility, or why they should receive hate?

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reviewers are only human though... They can be scared just like the rest of us, and if that affects their enjoyment of RE3 then that's fair.

I mean shit, if they write it in their review, that because of Corvid19 they couldn't enjoy the game, they're literally doing you, the reader, the favour of clearing up why the didn't like the game so that you can make your own value judgement, based on how YOU feel about the pandemic.

It'd be way worse if they rated it negatively without explaining why.
Yep. That's how I feel. This is only a problem for some people because nowadays we are obsessed with critical consensus.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
No, a larger factor should be that there already is a RE3 game released. Covid 19 have less to do with the game than itself.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
sometimes i cant roll my eyes far back enough into head from reading some shit on this forum.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because video game reviews are ultimately just opinions, which are influenced by the experiences of the author.

But also no, because I really don't feel like watching capital-G Gamers argue about this for the millionth time.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
They should include in their reviews whatever they deem to be relevant to their experience with the game.
It should affect the rating if it's significant enough to the author.

Why not both?
If every reviewer was frightened beyond belief of the pandemic, then the game would be rated 5/10 by everyone. You can see why this becomes an issue, right?

Of course there's almost no chance that happens, but the more this becomes normalized, the more negativity surrounds the game, for no fault of the developer. If people started rating a game I made lower in bigger and bigger masses, just because they are going through a rough time, I'd be very annoyed.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The editor in chief at US Gamer thinks the current pandemic should be part of their review and supports the GamesBeat Half Life Alyx review.

twitter.com

Kat Bailey on Twitter

“@MannyCalavera12 @USgamernet @capcom Oh yeah, I’m just gonna pretend that the pandemic has absolutely no bearing on how people might read the game 🙄”
Isn't the point of a review to see how the reviewer reads the game, not those who can't separate 20-year old fiction from what is current going on? Does she think Capcom is making a political statement about the current state of affairs on a game that started development a year ago, leading off the back of another game that released a year before that leading off several successful entries in the same series that started over 2 decades ago?

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
If every reviewer was frightened beyond belief of the pandemic, then the game would be rated 5/10 by everyone. You can see why this becomes an issue, right?

Of course there's almost no chance that happens, but the more this becomes normalized, the more negativity surrounds the game, for no fault of the developer. If people started rating my games lower in bigger and bigger masses, just because they are going through a rough time, I'd be very annoyed.
The Venturebeat Half-Life: Alyx review talked about how the game impacted his enjoyment but still gave it an 8/10. Why are you assuming everyone is going to give it very low scores if they similarities between real life and in-game events and some discomfort felt about that?

Also, sometimes life isn't fair when it comes to when you release you game/film/tv show. Cultural critique includes societal issues that developers may not have anticpated.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people think this wouldn't have an effect. If someone released a happy game that functioned as an opioid and made people appreciate it more and feel better about it when playing it, do you really think that wouldn't seep into reviews? Reviews are just a communication of an individual experience. The quest for objective reviews will never get anywhere and shouldn't.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Of course there's almost no chance that happens, but the more this becomes normalized, the more negativity surrounds the game, for no fault of the developer. If people started rating a game I made lower in bigger and bigger masses, just because they are going through a rough time, I'd be very annoyed.

why is that an issue? Why can't you, as a consumer, read those reviews and decide if those same things would affect you?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
There's an inherent hypocrisy to stuff like this, especially considering this game started development years ago.

Jun 26, 2018
Yep. That's how I feel. This is only a problem for some people because nowadays we are obsessed with critical consensus.

Yeah, it's wild... Like I can reasonably understand wanting a new game in a series you like to get good reviews, but people take it way way too far, their personal investment goes way beyond what one could consider reasonable and honestly dips into cult-like territory when it's at the most extreme.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Well, considering the Venture Beat reviewer said of Half life Alyx it was a great virtual reality game but at the wrong time I wouldn't be surprised if what you say happened.

Which people only cared about because it gave a score which affected the metacritic of the game. If there was no score most people wouldn't care, heck, most don't even read the review and just check the number.

There was never a problem with the review, just a problem with people being too attached to the metacritic score of their favorite game. (Which can be justifiable since it does affect developers, but I think we can all agree most people are just crazy).

So yes, reviews are and should be affected by the personal life of whoever is reviewing it because it's a... Personal review?
And no, I don't think the game should be delayed lol.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The Venturebeat Half-Life: Alyx review talked about how the game impacted his enjoyment but still gave it an 8/10. Why are you assuming everyone is going to give it very low scores if they similarities between real life and in-game events and some discomfort felt about that?

Also, sometimes life isn't fair when it comes to when you release you game/film/tv show. Cultural critique includes societal issues that developers may not have anticpated.
It's an example score, and I did say frightened beyond belief. There will be people that if given the ability to review, would score lower for the same reason, and others that score higher.

Saying life isn't fair when it's entirely controllable by review standards isn't really a good argument.

Suppose this feeds into indie games all of a sudden? Now those sales start to get severely damaged if the reviews drop considerably for the same reasons. Indies rely on reviews more than AAAs for their sales.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No-one's said anything about tanking the review just because of the outbreak. Just that it might affect the experience of a reviewer which at the end of the day can be a very important factor in any review.

Entertainment products are not exempt from political or societal issues and context being given to a reviewer's thoughts about the game in relation to those as long as the themes are relevant - and here with Coronavirus I think we can easily say that while there are no zombies on the streets, people can make a comparison to a virus outbreak quite easily. These kinds of reviews are no worse than buyer's guide style ones so I'm not sure why it would affect a reviewer's credibility, or why they should receive hate?
It's a conditional statement. If people were to tank the reviews because "it's a bad time to come out," That would harm their credibility to many. There's no denying that. People want to know if a game is good when they read a game review. Their experience is important, but it shouldn't be used as a launching point for something that's very loosely related (and couldn't sustain itself for much of the discussion without serious gymnastics), nor should real world events have a tremendous impact on the score.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
At most you're going to relate to the people stuck in the situation in a way most people probably wouldn't have before, but it's not going to affect your review.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of scores and final thoughts, no, that's pretty silly and just dates a review to a specific time and place (even more so than usual)

But I think it's more than fine for a reviewer to mention "given recent events, some players may feel uncomfortable seeing the pandemic unfold in-game". Arguing against that isn't too far removed from getting mad a youtube video has content warnings.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the responses in this thread highlight the issue with how people, a lot on this site, view reviews. We are, for the most part, informed enthusiasts. We probably shouldn't be the target audience for a lot of these reviews, especially for these big AAA type games like RE3 where so many people already have their minds made up and are going to get a game day 1. Reviews here (and review threads in general) exist for the purposes of hype (why else would review threads be open like a week before any reviews even hit?), for ammunition in fanboy/console wars, meta critic circle jerks, and to validate their own preconceived opinions. When reviews are viewed through that lens and perspective, it's what gives you some of the warped opinions you see in this thread and on this site about how reviews should he objective, or what personal experiences reviewers are or aren't allowed to inject into their opinion of a game, or how disagreeing with a review means the reviewer is wrong or didn't do their job correctly.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
If the current situation had a significant impact on their experience, then absolutely.

A review is less a reflection of a game, than it is a reflection of that person's impressions of a game in that moment in time. The context and personal experience matters

Some of the responses in this thread highlight the issue with how people, a lot on this site, view reviews. We are, for the most part, informed enthusiasts. We probably shouldn't be the target audience for a lot of these reviews, especially for these big AAA type games like RE3 where so many people already have their minds made up and are going to get a game day 1. Reviews here (and review threads in general) exist for the purposes of hype (why else would review threads be open like a week before any reviews even hit?), for ammunition in fanboy/console wars, meta critic circle jerks, and to validate their own preconceived opinions. When reviews are viewed through that lens and perspective, it's what gives you some of the warped opinions you see in this thread and on this site about how reviews should he objective, or what personal experiences reviewers are or aren't allowed to inject into their opinion of a game, or how disagreeing with a review means the reviewer is wrong or didn't do their job correctly.
Basically this