• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do yuo think?

• Yes, they should relate their personal experience with the game.

Votes: 101 6.0%
  • No, they should judge the game by its own merits.

Votes: 1,571 93.9%

• Total voters

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned that in the OP. But I also think there are more elaborate and significant ways to look into a game. In simple terms, I think there are good reviews and bad reviews.

I think one should be considered a review, and the other something else. If someone has a bad experience with RE3 because of the current climate shouldn't lend itself to the argument that RE3 is a good or bad game. The same is true for someone having a particular good time with it.
Out of curiosity; what objective, yet qualitative, things can you say about a game like Resident Evil 3?

Neural Network

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2020
It's not as simple as that, though. Perhaps a reviewer's grandmother just died from coronavirus. They sit down and begin playing R3make to review it. Of course imagery or symbolism relating to viral outbreaks and death is not gonna go down well.

Obviously that example is pretty extreme, but it goes for everything right now. People being unemployed due to the virus to people having health anxiety and fear due to it, etc etc.

Art isn't some isolated product you can hold in objectivity. Its power is in how humans react to it, and human minds exist in a coagulate of politics, news, emotions, etc.

Just like how art isn't created in a vacuum - the creators' minds also exist in a coagulate of politics, news, emotions, etc.
If such extreme situtation happened I'm sure they would give some other reviewer within outlet to review it.
Thats big if you are holding here. dont worry

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think one should be considered a review, and the other something else. If someone has a bad experience with RE3 because of the current climate shouldn't lend itself to the argument that RE3 is a good or bad game. The same is true for someone having a particular good time with it.

How come a review has to come down to simply whether or not a game is good or bad? If that were all a review should be there'd be no need for review scales beyond "yes or no". The moment you expand the scale, you're inviting room for nuance that goes beyond a simple value judgment of good or bad

Mar 29, 2018
If such extreme situtation happened I'm sure they would give some other reviewer within outlet to review it.
Thats big if you are holding here. dont worry

How about you read the rest of my post beyond the first line:

Obviously that example is pretty extreme, but it goes for everything right now. People being unemployed due to the virus, to people having health anxiety and fear due to it, etc etc. The virus WILL affect how people perceive any/all media.

Art isn't some isolated product you can hold in objectivity. Its power is in how humans react to it, and human minds exist in a coagulate of politics, news, emotions, etc.

Just like how art isn't created in a vacuum - the creators' minds also exist in a coagulate of politics, news, emotions, etc.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reviews aren't objective. Nothing is objective. Objectivity doesn't exist.

If the individual reviewer's perspective means they feel iffy about anything relating to viruses, then that will be reflected in the review, even if they don't use those words/that line of rhetoric.
There's no true objectivity but I'd also expect a reviewer to be aware of their personal perspective. Like if a reviewer would hate the game because Jill resembles his ex-girlfriend that cheated on him I'd consider that pretty unprofessional

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's a remake of a preexisting game, and everyone knows what they are getting, and the game is not influenced by the current pandemic or commenting on it .... the answer is no.

If the game were touching on this current event deliberately, maybe. But otherwise, it's a Resident Evil game and people play it to enjoy that experience.

However, people playing the game might definitely connect or think about the virus. But I don't think it's one of those things that will affect how the game is reviewed. I don't think it will be the same as the whole 'ludonarrative dissonance" thing that came up a few years ago.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
There's no true objectivity but I'd also expect a reviewer to be aware of their personal perspective. Like if a reviewer would hate the game because Jill looks like the ex-girlfriend that cheated on him I'd consider that pretty unprofessional
Because nobody else knows the ex-girlfriend. They do know the virus. Or Trump, or whatever else might leave a bad taste in the mouth and is shared among the readers.

Mar 29, 2018
There's no true objectivity but I'd also expect a reviewer to be aware of their personal perspective. Like if a reviewer would hate the game because Jill looks like the ex-girlfriend that cheated on him I'd consider that pretty unprofessional
An ex-girlfriend isn't the same as a once-per-century global catastrophe affecting billions of lives.

Taste shifts incredibly quickly and can mean a society's "threshold" for what is acceptable or tasteful can quickly change, wiping certain topics out.

NB: I have no idea what's in R3make, so perhaps there's nothing of any "risk" at all here. It might review just fine. But what I'm saying that I imagine every single review is gonna mention COVID19 (even if just in passing in the intro) and that many reviewers will have been personally affected by the outbreak - and that it is impossible to remove subconscious bias from your work.

Maybe it just made their mood a bit down on the game while playing it. Maybe it made them roll their eyes when some typical Resi jargon technobabble about viruses came up. Maybe there's a hospital scene somewhere with lots of infected, and it'll feel inappropriate.

Or maybe there'll be none of these things. It's on a reviewer-by-reviewer basis.

My point here is just that it will, absolutely have an impact.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Because nobody else knows the ex-girlfriend. They do know the virus. Or Trump, or whatever else might leave a bad taste in the mouth and is shared among the readers.
An ex-girlfriend isn't the same as a once-per-century global catastrophe affecting billions of lives.

Taste shifts incredibly quickly and can mean a society's "threshold" for what is acceptable or tasteful can quickly change, wiping certain topics out.

NB: I have no idea what's in R3make, so perhaps there's nothing of any "risk" at all here. It might review just fine. But what I'm saying that I imagine every single review is gonna mention COVID19 (even if just in passing in the intro) and that many reviewers will have been personally affected by it, and it is impossible to remove subconscious bias from your work. Maybe it just made their mood a bit down on the game while playing it. Maybe some typical Resi jargon technobabble about viruses made them roll their eyes when they heard it.

It might be marginal or negligible impact, my point here is just that it will, absolutely have an impact.

I have a question. Do you think the question in the OP is stupid and I'm out of my mind for simply asking it?

Jun 26, 2018
Who cares? Does it matter what the reviews say if the game is good?

Wanting "objective" game reviews, is a clear sign of not understanding what reviews are...

Mar 29, 2018
I have a question. Do you think the question in the OP is stupid and I'm out of my mind for simply asking it?
No way. You're not out of your mind for asking it and it's not stupid. It's an important and interesting topic.

My argument here is simply: much of what we're discussing here is unconscious bias which a reviewer will not be aware of whatsoever. Their experience/work reviewing the game might range into conscious bias, but probably won't. The COVID10 outbreak might impact them in ways they are not aware of at all, tweaking their opinions or changing their expectations, as their brain is already processing things on a deep level that the reviewer won't be consciously aware of.

So there's no "should a reviewer strive for objectivity" because their brain straight up isn't an objective organism and most of its processing is subconscious.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
No. The question is not stupid but it's very leading. You ask us whether every reviewer should do X, which leads to an obvious no answer, because we don't know what kind of prior experiences every single reviewer takes into the review, or what they gain from playing the game. If you phrase it like "if the reviewer's enjoyment is negatively influenced by the current pandemic, should that affect the review score", I think you'll get very different results.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I think it will, its unavoidable. Peoples reactions to art are shaped by their experiences.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
If a game is based on a real-life scenario, like a period of world history or a specific tragic event, then yes it should be judged in the context of how that event actually took place and whether it shows due respect etc.

However, this is a zombie game based on an old zombie game that had probably practically gone gold before Japan reported their first case. It shouldn't be affected in the slightest.

EDIT: Now if I choose to start making a game today about the spread of a terrible virus, and it drops before the end of 2020, then yes, I'd expect some pretty severe blowback.

Oct 27, 2017
... why would it change anything? The game has existed since the 90s, this is a remake of said game. A zombie action game that has absolutely nothing to do with covid19.
It's not insensitive, it's not problematic, it's not anything else besides a zombie action game.
jesus christ this forum sometimes.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Video games are an art, and art review is always going to be subjective. If a reviewer decides they think the world around them impacts how the game is perceived, it's their right to comment on that.

That said, "rate"? Probably no, the score wouldn't change. But if I were reviewing it in a long form kind of way, I would absolutely consider commenting on such a thing in the copy at some point.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Why isn't one of the poll options: 'what in the goddamned hell are you talking about'.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Why is everyone so SENSITIVE these days? This makes no sense! It's a video game and should be reviewed as such, regardless of what's going on in the real world.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
reviews manage how they review a game based on the games merits. You as a customer manage if you think you want to play a game about a virus.
that is where it should be. So no, I do not think reviewers should take sars-cov-2 as a possible impact of review score.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Just wait for Last of Us 2. Lots of people will have lost loved ones by the time it releases, and there may even be scenes of looting and breakdown of society. If I was Sony, I'd delay it until thanksgiving.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Should it affect the score itself? No.

Should it be mentioned in light of the historical event we are currently experiencing? Yes.

Games are contextual. When they come out matters, even if it wasn't exactly Capcom's intent here. Relating personal experiences to the game is something that will likely happen whether they want it to or not given the current situation. I don't think it should affect the score as the current situation doesn't directly affect the quality of the game, it simply means that personal experiences may or may not play a factor in your enjoyment of the game based on when it is coming out/when you are playing it.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just wait for Last of Us 2. Lots of people will have lost loved ones by the time it releases, and there may even be scenes of looting and breakdown of society. If I was Sony, I'd delay it until thanksgiving.
just so when everybody is still in quarantine during thanksgiving, they can enjoy a nice game of The last of us 2

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't know but speaking personally I'm not excited to 'immerse' myself in a game about a viral outbreak, zombie fiction or not.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
No way. You're not out of your mind for asking it and it's not stupid. It's an important and interesting topic.

My argument here is simply: much of what we're discussing here is unconscious bias which a reviewer will not be aware of whatsoever. Their experience/work reviewing the game might range into conscious bias, but probably won't. The COVID10 outbreak might impact them in ways they are not aware of at all, tweaking their opinions or changing their expectations, as their brain is already processing things on a deep level that the reviewer won't be consciously aware of.

So there's no "should a reviewer strive for objectivity" because their brain straight up isn't an objective organism and most of its processing is subconscious.

But would it be unconscious? In that case we would be talking about something we are not even aware of. But playing a game and thinking "if this was another time I would have enjoyed it more/less" isn't exactly unconscious.

No. The question is not stupid but it's very leading. You ask us whether every reviewer should do X, which leads to an obvious no answer, because we don't know what kind of prior experiences every single reviewer takes into the review, or what they gain from playing the game. If you phrase it like "if the reviewer's enjoyment is negatively influenced by the current pandemic, should that affect the review score", I think you'll get very different results.

I didn't try to hide my answer. And I thought that saying a reviewer should relate their personal experience didn't have any negative connotation that would make people less likely to vote for it. So I think no matter how I worded it, the results, and people reaction to the question, would be the same.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Well, no to be fair. Does Call Of Duty get negative reviews for glamorizing wars? No... So, there you go. We are being a bit selective in inferring that RE3 should get a harsher review for depicting a pandemic. Also, people have been consuming a lot more content related to pandemics (fiction and non-fiction).

Oct 25, 2017
If you all are that fragile that it bothers you when someone relates real world issues to a media they are consuming then that's more on you than the reviewer. People whining about that Half Life Alyx review because it got an 8 is embarrassing.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
No,any review of any game affected by this pandemic or any real world issue not related to the game is trash,I want a review that cover the game's qualities and faults.Half Life Alyx case is an example of bad review,and Kate supporting is no surprise for me.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Division 1/2 needs a re review because the founding lore of that game mirrors our current situation almost exactly.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
You know, I don't think this thread was a hot take in any way. And there are at least a few people who seems to agree with that.

Now this is a hot take: people who are attacking me for asking this question are not far from people who would go on twitter to attack a reviewer for giving a low score to a game. Particularly a slight lower score to RE3 because of the corona virus.

Oct 25, 2017
No,any review of any game affected by this pandemic or any real world issue not related to the game is trash,I want a review that cover the game's qualities and faults.Half Life Alyx case is an example of bad review,and Kate supporting is no surprise for me.

Why is it a bad review? Because it mentions the pandemic or because it gave it an 8? Be honest.