• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the current MCU continuity will still be ongoing after we're all dead?

• Yes

Votes: 146 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 404 73.5%

• Total voters

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
The MCU's comicbook source material is not known for rebooting itself on a grand scale and wiping-out its previous continuity. I doubt Marvel Studios would do differently. If its ever going to do a "reboot", i would imagine it would be similar to Star Trek's Kelvin timeline. You create a brand new continuity where you could play around with old characters (2009 Star Trek movies and its sequels) but has a clear connecting line (and properly onboarded fans, thanks to Nimoy's Spock Prime) to the old but still active continuity(Picard, Star Trek Discovery).

I think lack of F4 and Mutants will be the thing here, alone with maybe Fiege moving on. I could see the universe having to be reboot, multiverse's once again cut off and a new timeline can begin with Mutants, F4 and Spider-Man all planned from the jump. However I can't see that until after Secret wars but it would be a great way to end the current iteration of MCU and let something different start again one day. Having those other properties from the start will let them make a very different MCU for us.

However this also means in ways that the MCU never ends it just gets a narrative reasoning for the reboot

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The MCU's comicbook source material is not known for rebooting itself on a grand scale and wiping-out its previous continuity. I doubt Marvel Studios would do differently. If its ever going to do a "reboot", i would imagine it would be similar to Star Trek's Kelvin timeline. You create a brand new continuity where you could play around with old characters (2009 Star Trek movies and its sequels) but has a clear connecting line (and properly onboarded fans, thanks to Nimoy's Spock Prime) to the old but still active continuity(Picard, Star Trek Discovery).

The comics are still using the same characters from the 1930s & 1940s (Namor and Captain America are still appearing in comics after all), but actors retire from their roles or die.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I originally thought no, but back when they announced a Gaurdians of the Galaxy movie I thought...seriously? You're going to make a movie with them? When it had big success then I thought there was no limits to Marvel's success. When they can take 2nd tier characters and teams like Gaurdians, Eternals, Dr Strange, and Shang Chi and get a blockbuster movie, then they've got a universe full of potential content. There is literally decades of source material they can draw from. They haven't even begun to tap Marvel's most successful franchise, the X-Men.

Then there is always the opportunity to reboot and do it all over again with a different spin.

As long as people keep showing up at the box office and tuning into the TV shows, the MCU will last forever. There is no sign that it's going to slow down anytime soon. Give the people what they want, and they've got plenty to give.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I think that, much like how they effortlessly picked up elements of the Fox and Sony universes and mixed them into the MCU as a multiverse, that will always be a possibility in the future. Even the MCU as we know it now loses steam, you can never really say it will die because there is always the chance that, in 100 years, they have a multiverse film that picks up threads from the faded MCU. It can never end now.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
The comics are still using the same characters from the 1930s & 1940s (Namor and Captain America are still appearing in comics after all), but actors retire from their roles or die.

Characters in comics can "retire" too. Walker, Bucky and Sam all got their Captain America stint and while they may have surrendered it back to Steve once he "unretired", their time and actions as Cap are still in-continuity in the comics.

Just to clarify, my answer to the OP's question, is that YES, it is possible to create a direct thoroughline, a direct line of continuity, from Marvel films and TV series coming out in 2078 all the way back to the original 2008 Iron Man. Star Trek's prime continuity is already past 55 years old and shows no sign of slowing down and this is not even counting the connected Kelvin timeline where they could recast old characters and retell old stories.

And on top of that, in terms of variety, i'd say Marvel Comics in general could offer more to your average viewer than 'Trek does.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Characters in comics can "retire" too. Walker, Bucky and Sam all got their Captain America stint and while they may have surrendered it back to Steve once he "unretired", their time and actions as Cap are still in-continuity in the comics.

Just to clarify, my answer to the OP's question, is that YES, it is possible to create a direct thoroughline, a direct line of continuity, from Marvel films and TV series coming out in 2078 all the way back to the original 2008 Iron Man. Star Trek's prime continuity is already past 55 years old and shows no sign of slowing down and this is not even counting the connected Kelvin timeline where they could recast old characters and retell old stories.

And on top of that, in terms of variety, i'd say Marvel Comics in general could offer more to your average viewer than 'Trek does.

It's already not a direct through line since they're bringing in films and series that were made before the MCU was even announced. Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, and Alfred Molina were playing major Marvel characters years before RDJ signed his first contract with Marvel Studios. And then they played those same characters again in a film released last year. And then there's X-Men 97, which is a continuation of the 1990s X-Men animated series, will also be made under Marvel Studios.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
No.

I would imagine the "multiverse" will be used as an excuse to continually reset the MCU with old actors being brought in for nostalgia ticket sale bumps for as long as possible. Think of Spider-Man: No Way Home as a template. Continuity will soon be a thing of the past.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
It's already not a direct through line since they're bringing in films and series that were made before the MCU was even announced. Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, and Alfred Molina were playing major Marvel characters years before RDJ signed his first contract with Marvel Studios. And then they played those same characters again in a film released last year. And then there's X-Men 97, which is a continuation of the 1990s X-Men animated series, will also be made under Marvel Studios.

The thing is an IP can have multiple branching timelines but can still be considered as one continuity. It all depends on how you treat (or mistreat) the previous stories.

Retrofitting branch timelines like Age of Apocalypse or those WW2 comics or the 2099 comic line or even Ultimates into the MAIN comic timeline, Marvel 616, are additive. The retrofitted stories that come with them did not reboot anything. They are absorbed. They did not decanonize or remove stuff from the 616 continuity which is why we can still say it is still relatively straight and intact.

Same thing with retrofitting Sony's old Spiderman movies timeline and What If's into the MCU.They are again additive and did not decanonize or remove from stuff from the main MCU continuity that started in 2008 Iron Man. Its still a direct line of continuity and can continue up to 2078 and beyond with proper care.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is an IP can have multiple branching timelines but can still be considered as one continuity. It all depends on how you treat (or mistreat) the previous stories.

Retrofitting branch timelines like Age of Apocalypse or those WW2 comics or the 2099 comic line or even Ultimates into the MAIN comic timeline, Marvel 616, are additive. The retrofitted stories that come with them did not reboot anything. They are absorbed. They did not decanonize or remove stuff from the 616 continuity which is why we can still say it is still relatively straight and intact.

Same thing with retrofitting Sony's old Spiderman movies timeline and What If's into the MCU.They are again additive and did not decanonize or remove from stuff from the main MCU continuity that started in 2008 Iron Man. Its still a direct line of continuity and can continue up to 2078 and beyond with proper care.

I don't think many people will think of it in those terms when Marvel Studios hires a new actor to play the next Steve Rogers or Tony Stark or when Sony hires a new actor to play the next Peter Parker (assuming Sony still exists and has the Spider-Man film rights, but this could just as easily apply to Marvel since Tom Holland won't be the last actor to play Peter Parker).

If you're argument is "it's all canon because Multiverse", then that feels like a completely different argument than this thread outlines.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think many people will think of it in those terms when Marvel Studios hires a new actor to play the next Steve Rogers or Tony Stark or when Sony hires a new actor to play the next Peter Parker (assuming Sony still exists and has the Spider-Man film rights, but this could just as easily apply to Marvel since Tom Holland won't be the last actor to play Peter Parker).

If you're argument is "it's all canon because Multiverse", then that feels like a completely different argument than this thread outlines.

Which goes back to my initial post. If ever the MCU decides to "reboot" ie. hire new actors to play IM, Cap, Thor etc. to tell brand new stories, they should do it the way Star Trek did with the Kelvin timeline in the movies.

Recasting the OG Star Trek ToS characters played by Shatner, Nimoy etc. with Pine, Quinto etc. in the 2009 movie would have been anathema to Trek fans if it weren't for the fact that the movie writers were smart enough to respect 'Trek continuity by not decanonizing the ToS stories from the old timeline and using Nimoy's OG Spock to bridge the gap and legitimize the newer timeline.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
The only way this train ends is if the movies stop making billions.
I mean, it will end eventually, but not before we are long dead. I like the optimism of people here, but being extremely optimistic I have more 50 years of life, I don't see the MCU going anywhere before the next 70 years. Soft rebooting characters and still having everything that came before still counts, just like Marvel Comics has been around long before I was even born.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Which goes back to my initial post. If ever the MCU decides to "reboot" ie. hire new actors to play IM, Cap, Thor etc. to tell brand new stories, they should do it the way Star Trek did with the Kelvin timeline in the movies.

Recasting the OG Star Trek ToS characters played by Shatner, Nimoy etc. with Pine, Quinto etc. in the 2009 movie would have been anathema to Trek fans if it weren't for the fact that the movie writers were smart enough to respect 'Trek continuity by not decanonizing the ToS stories from the old timeline and using Nimoy's OG Spock to bridge the gap and legitimize the newer timeline.

A lot of people don't think in those terms, though. They would classify it as a reboot.

When the MCU does such a thing, it will obviously be handled differently than how Star Trek did. And they already have the built-in story reason of "Multiverse."

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given how much of the MCU's success rests on the shoulders of a few key individuals it wouldn't a lot for it to start floundering and starting to lose popularity.

If you removed say... Kevin Feige, Taika Waititi and Jon Favreau from the picture my guess is that the MCU would start to fall like a castle of cards.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If it's popular I imagine it'll stay ongoing. They're actively working to create second generation heroes at the moment.

At some point I'm sure they'll do a big Crisis story where all the active characters/actors have to sacrifice their world to save the multiverse, and it'll create a new world that fixes up the history of the MCU a bit and lets them recast characters like Cap and Iron Man, but also carry over the actors and arcs of the previous era.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
There will be teams of analytic nerds primed to figure out exactly how to maximise the current continuity, watching trends and what works and what doesn't and when the serialisation of these films and TV shows risk over saturation. They'll have hands on the dials to make it last as long as they can, and there will be suits overseeing the lore nerds that stand ready to reboot or put the whole thing on hiatus if they have to. One of the MCU's strengths is that it has people who care about the lore, the characters and the connective tissue, and people who want to mine the back catalogue for great entertainment and make household names of characters people have never even heard of. It won't always work, but there is so much material there that they have a lot of flexibility to move on and do new things when people get bored of stuff they've been living with for a long time or whatever.

Of course at some point the current audience will be old, and will want to introduce their kids and grandkids to these stories, and the old films are gonna look dated. Maybe some will seem timeless and fun, but when they can be done again, done differently, done better.. they probably will be.

It can be a multigenerational mythos that perseveres and reinvents itself the way the books do, but they need to ensure they keep it at least partly in the hands of people who care and don't just totally Star Wars it.

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The MCU is not all the same. It's not just heroes in capes and there is a variety in their content. When you compare the movies and TV there is very different vibes and themes that crossover a lot of different action genre. There's a lot of different settings from crime, action, detective, fantasy, space, time travel, magic, mythological. You're not always getting just a different superhero fighting a different villain. For fans of action movies, MCU does provide a decent variety of content.