• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think that The Evil Within 3 will happen someday

• Yes

Votes: 138 41.4%
  • No

Votes: 195 58.6%

• Total voters
Jan 4, 2018
the-evil-within-pc-00c.jpg

Tango Gameworks is currently working on Ghostwire Tokyo (set to release this year) and the game seems to be action-adventure.

Shinji Mikami recently stated that he would return for a last time as director if he had the chance to make a game that's completely his vision from beginning to end. Assuming it would happen, I'm not sure that it would be The Evil Within 3 or a survival-horror game (plus John Johanas did a fantastic work on TEW2 as a director imo).
That would probably be something related to Noah (the concept when they founded Tango 10 years ago before being bought by Bethesda was a sci-fi open world "survival adventure" inspired by the movie Dune) or something else.

However, when he started Tango, Mikami initially envisionned it as a studio capable to work on several projects at once. So it may not prevent TEW3 of happening in parallel ultimately (maybe it's already the case with a small team).

Also, The Evil Within 2 ended on a cliffhanger after the credits (and still has a lot of unanswered questions).
However, the game disappointed regarding sales compared to the first game (and lack of marketing too). There also wasn't DLCs for TEW2 while the first game got 3 (The Assignment, The Executionner and The Consequence). But with Game Pass as the new model for MS, this could solve a part of the problem perhaps.

So, if you had to make a wild guess, do you think that The Evil Within will return at some point, or not ?

Last edited:

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Perhaps after Ghostwire, if it does well enough, Bethesda will give them the freedom to go and finish it as a trilogy. I hope so at least.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Feels like they probably get 1-2 project of their choice under Microsoft, so assuming they want to, yeah.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I really, really hope it does. Given The Medium's success I think a survival horror game for gamepass is totally viable.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, sequel was good but don't think it did well enough to greenlight another one, and I imagine Mikami wants to do something new. But who knows under MS, they're clearly being quite generous with allowing their acquired studios to do whatever they want.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I get the impression 2 didn't do well enough for that, and it needed to after some of the reception to 1..

A shame, I've heard real good things about 2

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has a much better chance of happening under the GamePass model, provided that's what Mikami wants to do after GWT.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I could see MS "pushing" for it for lack of a better term, since it's a recognizable IP with some brand recognition. But honestly, assuming that the people at the studio want to tell that story and the studios under MS have as much creative freedom as they say they do, then I can definitely see it happening to be honest.

We can only assume that they didn't make Evil Within 3 already due to the poor performance of the second game and either it wasn't greenlit or they just lost motivation to work on it, so depending on which one it is I can see it happening, since commercial performance isn't really as relevant with Gamepass having so many subscribers, the games just need to be good since the access problem is solved

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's one positive that it's more likely now that they're under MS's umbrella than it was before.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Popular IP.. Microsoft would be silly not to revive it at some point for game pass. That's if Tango want to actually do it that is, I know Microsoft are pretty hands off with their newer studios.

Maybe after Ghostwire.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Does anyone know if Tango works on multiple games at a time? Afaik Johanas doesn't have a hand in Ghostwire. I might be wrong.

Nov 8, 2017
TEW2 had a bigger dev team but sold worse. There is no strong story reason for the series to continue, since they basically wrap up 95% of the series with the second game.

I don't think it's impossible they revisit it, but it's just as likely they don't, imo.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My heart says yes, my head says no.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I get the impression the second game didn't do that well, I have a hard time imagining Mikami fighting too hard for a third one, and I don't think anyone else at Tango could get it made. So no.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it's going to be a long time of the ever revisit this franchise, but fuck me I love it. I really hope they do.

BrokenBox

Oct 26, 2017
I think MS will fund it if the acquisition goes through to expand their horror offerings, but I'm also a TEW fan and an optimist.

Oct 26, 2017
I think so, the last game was a big improvement on the first and was pretty well received. MS are keen to have a broad first party, and that would certainly fit into it. If the Silent Hill rumours are true that could be another incentive for them to get themselves a big name survival horror exclusive.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If Sony do have Silent Hill up their sleeves as an exclusive I expect Microsoft would get Tango working on a new TEW stat, as much as MS do let studios do some unexpected stuff Phil does seem to feel Xbox's library needs games that fill the same roles as Sony's lineup (to be fair, Sony was doing this for a bit a couple of gens ago too).

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully now that MS is in charge of Bethesda they'd be more inclined to bring back a well regarded series. I'm sure Tango/Johanas had plans for a third game

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
If they want to, I think MS would happily let them, adding another genre string to their bow.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The second game was excellent but I think the stigma of the first game worked against it. The fact there aren't any DLCs is already puzzling.

I think it might have a chance after ghostwire, but I think Tango is a one game at a time studio

driqe

Jan 21, 2021
If Mikami were to make one last game, I don't think it would be The Evil Within 3.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Evil Within 2 is one of the best games of the gen, so I hope so with 2's team.

Who knows. MS surely wants all the games it can get, imo.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
I don't think so sadly.
Truth be told I didn't like TEW2 as much as the first one, it felt like a step back in terms of characters, story, and horror, but it had a stronger gameplay and an engaging world. Yet they totally ditched Ruvik despite the first Evil Within also ending on a cliffhanger, so I wouldn't think much about TEW2 ending, and as you said we got ZERO DLCs for TEW2, they wrapped the story and left whatever question anyone had up in the air.

As others said the only possibility for it to return if MS pushes for it, and if MS wants a strong Survival Horror title, they may push for a new IP to be built up from scratch without the mixed expectations\reception of TEW IP, that is assuming GhostWire Tokyo doesn't blow up in success and Tango decideds to do a sequel.

Rev408

Dec 28, 2017
I certainly hope so, 2 was super good! Wasn't able to get into the first though.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems dead, and tbh, I'm not that interested in a return to this specific world.

Just let him make something else without the baggage. The stem stuff hamstrings the concept, most of the antogists are dead or suck, and the lead character's story is more or less wrapped. Let sleeping dogs lie and just make some other weird shit.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Would love another one but its probbaly not happening, not without some major change or soft reboot anyhow, though the franchise was never popular enough to warrant the soft reboot treatment.

Feb 19, 2018
Want it to happen? Yes.
Do I believe in it happening? No.

I'm just glad we got Evil Within 2 at all, in addition to it being one of the best survival horror games (or horror games, period) of the last decade, it completely tied up any loose ends and finished the story in a most satisfying manner, the tiniest of plot hooks (which is totally okay and doesn't detract from the ending) for a possible sequel aside. More would just be a nice bonus, because I really enjoyed both Evil Within games, I even loved the first one (even if it has quite some flaws, the entirety of the Chapter "The Cruelest Intentions" is one of the best things ever to happen to horror games).

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Maybe, but if the Bethesda acquisition is approved I could see it from a different Microsoft studio like Compulsion rather than Ghostwire.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
It would have been different without the MS acquisition but I firmly believe that they might think it would be worth it to have a popular horror IP

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well Ruvik is still out there and TEW2 left on the system being reactivated, so yes, theres shit remaining. No idea if they will do it though. Will be there if they do.

Oct 20, 2018
I hope so. Although I feel that Sebastian story is done, l'd like to see him come back. if Joseph is still out there then Sebastian has a role to play in that he wouldn't just leave his partner hanging.

But I can also see just a Julie Kidman/Joseph type game battling Ruvik in the real world.