• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I think most people are expecting next gen machines to be backwards compatible. Since that is most likely the case should we expect gamers playing Xbox One and PS4 games on next gen machines to get the royal treatment?

Both Sony and MS did a good job making the PS4 pro and XB1X easy to update games for and some games (even those released before mid gen machines) have better frame rate, resolution, and even more in some cases. Hell MS has some 360 games with 4K res and more stable and faster frame rate.

Do you expect to same treatment next gen?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. While I'm sure not all will, most games in the back half of this gen were made with things like dynamic rez or uncapped framerates almost surely specifically to assist with this.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they already are in Xbox X (Witcher 3)

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
They should. PS5/XB2 should come with day 1 "Boost Modes" at the minimum so games with dynamic thresholds or frame drops don't have those issues anymore.

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
Probably the same we've already seen both in backwards compatibility and the cases of slim/pro and the xbox equivalent: sometimes a great difference, sometimes negligible.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, bc should be a given from both, execution will be interesting to see.
I expect it from Xbox, across all games you can run now on Xbox One (so all games that are currently compatible), from Sony we have to see how much their old games can scale on quite different hardware

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
MS - "expected"
What are the BC team doing now? Anyone know?

boost mode for ps5 will be great too.
Anything better than 16x af? Gimme dat knowledge

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Play better...yes to both. I think micro will be the one to continue to make the old games better looking.

Id imagine the team has some good updates come Scarlett reveal. They would've had some decent time since the program ended this gen.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this will sound like heresy to some but I'm not going to be interested in PS4/XB1 games on my next generation console.

PEVO

Mar 15, 2019
Outer Heaven
I can totally see Sony's approach to be similar to the Pro. Boost Mode will be available as an option to cover a majority of software but they will also provide fine tuned enhancements via a patch to select titles.
I hope so. But the best thing will be to offer some pc-like options to users, so we can decide how to "invest" the extra power of the next generation console.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Based on what has already been achieved this gen, Xbox almost certainly, Sony closer to hopefully.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played The Witcher 3. I have it on X1X. Looking forward to playing in in 4k60 on Scarlett.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Yet the only next gen console where we saw any information regarding improvements on current gen games is the PS5...

That's a good point. I was mostly basing it on how amazing Microsoft has been in this space this gen, while Sony has frankly been quite bad (PS1 classic, inability to access old PS titles, very average Pro support for old games)

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Games with uncapped/unstable framerates will definitely play better on newer hardware.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I;m counting on it. My backlog is too large and some games I have written off (time wise) until the new gen.

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
I hope so. I'm holding back on playing Control for the moment, waiting to play it on ps5 for a decent framerate.

Boozer

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.
After playing bloodbourne for a short while, I'm hoping to get back into it on the ps5 with improved frame rates.