• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Starfield is 2021 game?

• Yes

Votes: 402 34.9%
  • NO

Votes: 751 65.1%

• Total voters

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Maybe. If it doesn't get announced in tga though it's probably a 2022 game.

Edit: actually considering all the delays that happened this year it's probably not coming 2021

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
it has a chance but i don't bet on it. that being said Bethesda can pull a Fallout 4 and show it at E3 and launch at Q4.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
knowing sony was talking with bethesda about a potential moneyhat makes me think the game isn't that far off. my guess is late 2021/early 2022.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Todd literally said he wants the showcase to be as close to release as possible like with Fallout 4 and Fallout 76
I understand that. But it's just one of those things that I'm not going to believe until I see it. Plus, we're kinda still in a pandemic which has slowed a lot of development. Why get my hopes up? Now that Elder Scrolls and Fallout do nothing but disappoint me, Starfield is pretty much the only BGS game I'm looking forward to.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible
It may be their target date but I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up releasing in 2022 due to Covid.

Deleted member 74623

Banned
Jul 14, 2020
I think it's definitely coming next year. It'll be 5 years in development by that point according to Todd's interview

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Absolutely not

But it will be shown next year and a central part of Microsoft E3. If we even have an E3 again

I think 2022

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
the deal is technically not finalized but i doubt that would stop MS/bethesda from announcing new games, specially since the game could just be published under the bethesda name.

It would be interesting if it is announced as xbox exclusive before the deal is finalised, my understanding is the deal is expected to complete mid 2021 and I dont believe Microsoft can officially assert any influence until then? Though I may be mistaken as I do not know the US laws regarding this.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
This is going to sound like "my uncle works at Nintendo" story but I bought a new puppy in June and when I was visiting they asked if I had a name in mind for him once I confirmed I wanted him so they could start calling him by it so he would get used to it. The lady joked that it couldn't be worse than the names of all their sheep because her husband works for Bethesda so they are all named from characters in Skyrim and stuff like that.

Anyway as soon as she said that I was like wow that's cool and he was there so I jokingly said you better get back to work then to get ES6 done. He said "Got to get Starfield out next year first so might be waiting a while". I had completely forgot about Starfield so was just like oh yeah forgot you were making that. That's everything I got to say on that, obviously with Covid and everything else going on this year then maybe things have changed but that's what was said.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Fallout 4 was built upon the foundation of Fallout 3, though. It wasn't a completely new IP. I'd like to be surprised, believe me, but I just don't think it will happen.
This.
They cold afford only talk about fallout 4 5 months before release, just the name already implies so much about the game. They even talked about only the new things from Fallout 4 in that first presentation, like the building aspects, etc.

Starfield we literally know anything about, or very close to it. So the setting, universe, rules, gameplay, etc al of that needs to be fleshed out. I don't think its a 2021 game.
Or maybe we will have a media blitz starting next year first half, but I would not bet on it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Holiday 2022 is my guess. I don't see MS trying to rush Bethesda considering how much they paid for them and know that first appearance matters.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Why? Fallout 4 was announced E3 2015 and was released Holiday 2015.

And Skyrim was revealed less than a year before release, and the first in-engine footage was what 7 months prior to release on 11/11/11?
And Fallout 76 was revealed 6 months before release in Nov 2018.
And Fallout 3 was revealed E3 2007, but first gameplay not shown until E3 2008, 5 months before launch.

Bethesda plays it close to the chest. Very possible we will see the game for the first time less than 6 months before release.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
This.
They cold afford only talk about fallout 4 5 months before release, just the name already implies so much about the game. They even talked about only the new things from Fallout 4 in that first presentation, like the building aspects, etc.

Starfield we literally know anything about, or very close to it. So the setting, universe, rules, gameplay, etc al of that needs to be fleshed out. I don't think its a 2021 game.
Or maybe we will have a media blitz starting next year first half, but I would not bet on it.
They might release a trailer this year at TGAs like they did with Skyrim and they'll have a year to market it. Assuming Xbox won't hold another digital conference in October/November, which is a possibility.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Starfield is 2022/2023 (Todd answered 'well its a game..in development' to larry in recent intreview. Now half of that is because Todd Howard is a piece of trash, but the other half is cos its super early).

TES 2026

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Its been almost five years since Fallout 4.

You gotta hope something is coming in the next year or two.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
tenor.gif

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
call me crazy but i think it has a good chance for the end of the year.

but a lot seems to be hanging on this release for BGS so they may hold on to it for as long as they can

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Fallout 4 was built upon the foundation of Fallout 3, though. It wasn't a completely new IP. I'd like to be surprised, believe me, but I just don't think it will happen.
Todd has gone on record multiple times saying he only wants to show things when they're ready, and he wants the reveal - - > release time gap to be as short as possible. He's said he'd make it days short if he was allowed =P

The Starfield and TES6 announcements were emergency mitigations he didn't want to make. I fully expect 2021 to be the target year, but maybe a delay into Q1 2022.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
The more I think about it, the more I think it's coming next year. It's been in development for 4 1/2 to 5 years already and it just seems unlikely that they're going to hold on to this game for almost 7 years before they release it.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's possible. I think it's been in development quite a while and they are likely to reveal it close to launch so I wouldn't completely rule out fall 2021. That's not taking Covid into account though.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Only if they rush it and with Bethesda QA/bugs and new engine I don't even want to see it in 2021.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to sound like "my uncle works at Nintendo" story but I bought a new puppy in June and when I was visiting they asked if I had a name in mind for him once I confirmed I wanted him so they could start calling him by it so he would get used to it. The lady joked that it couldn't be worse than the names of all their sheep because her husband works for Bethesda so they are all named from characters in Skyrim and stuff like that.

Anyway as soon as she said that I was like wow that's cool and he was there so I jokingly said you better get back to work then to get ES6 done. He said "Got to get Starfield out next year first so might be waiting a while". I had completely forgot about Starfield so was just like oh yeah forgot you were making that. That's everything I got to say on that, obviously with Covid and everything else going on this year then maybe things have changed but that's what was said.

I love it. I want to believe.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like based on the information we have it's almost impossible to make much of a prediction.

But in service of the thread, I'll say Q1 '22.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I think we get a ton of marketing for it in 2021 and it has a chance of coming out in the holiday window, but I think 2022 is also a strong possibility. I'm not gonna be surprised either way. 2023 would be super disappointing, I refuse to believe that's a possibility.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Pre Covid my guess is they were targeting 2021. Not sure about now and with MS money backing them there probably is less pressure

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I love it. I want to believe.
I googled the guy and he's worked there for a long time and due to his position as well he would defs know any target launch dates etc. If they can still hit them with Covid and all that going on is a different matter, he was working from home at the time I got my puppy so I imagine others would be too within the company.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
If it is a 2021 game, then Microsoft could have an incredible, monstrous 2021 for their 1st-party:

1. Halo Infinite
  2. Psychonauts 2
  3. The Outer Worlds final DLC expansion
  4. Xbox release of Flight Simulator
  5. Starfield
  6. Grounded's full release
  7. Possibly Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo, if the timed exclusivity for those games is only 6 months