• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Starfield is 2021 game?

• Yes

Votes: 402 34.9%
  • NO

Votes: 751 65.1%

• Total voters

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Starfield is BGS's first new IP and a potential killer IP for Xbox if it is exclusive. We do know that Sony was in talks with BGS for a timed exclusive deal, which is some evidence that the game may be a year away. Starfield is also mentioned by Phil is the press release, when they purchased Bethesda as a future game to look forward too. One big reason I personally think it's 2021 game is that Xbox doesn't really have anything for late 2021. Can you imagine the marketing hype this game would get for big holiday new IP from BGS? When is the last time Xbox really had a new killer IP?

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah I think so. They also revealed Fallout 4 just a few month before launch. I think we will see the big presentation at E3 and the game comes Fall 2021

Aug 12, 2019
If it's 2021, I think it would honestly probably be coming to PS5 as well considering the timing of the acquisition and the deals that would have already been made for its production and marketing (plus, a brand new IP that you can experience on PlayStation but then have to try the sequels on Xbox's hardware? Not a bad plan necessarily).

But no, I don't think it's a 2021 game. Bethesda takes forever to release anything before a buy out was happening lol.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It will have been 6 years since their last game and they like to announce dates only a few months before release.
So I think there's a good chance it'll get out next year.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Bethesda is always very late with their announcement. Usually announcement around E3 and launch later that year.
I think it definitely was a 2021 game at some point. Covid and the MS acquisition might have pushed it back tho, we don't know.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
No, we haven't even seen anything about it in ages. It'll be 2022 at the earliest.

Which if anything indicates that it's farther along than people think.

If the reports about Sony trying to get timed exclusivity are to be believed, they probably wouldn't be negotiating a deal in early 2020 for a game that won't be released until 2 years later. You'd want to have some sort of understanding of what the product is.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to say yes. In 2018 Todd Howard said it was playable and that they had been working on it for "some time". That means development probably started in 2016 or even earlier.

Holiday 2021 would be about 5-5.5 years of development time.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
I think we'll see something. Perhaps not release, but as others have mentioned Bethesda are pretty good at keeping secrets and dropping bombshells.

Fallout 4 reveal was absolutely insane and it would be amazing to see that kind of energy repeat at another event down the road.

Dhruvenator

Aug 29, 2019
100% - Microsoft has included it in multiple blog posts, interviews etc. post Bethesda deal announcement.

Mar 8, 2018
I wouldn't be shocked if it was, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. Bethesda has a history of dropping full reveals and proceeding into release very quickly, even after years of keeping a tight lid on a project. But also given COVID and everything, I wouldn't be shocked if it was a 2022 game instead.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
No way of knowing really. I respect the hell out of how Bethesda announced and launched Fallout 4 and I hope that continues in to how they handle Starfield.

Announcement with a date that's a couple of months in the future that they know they are going to hit.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time seeing it. Guess it depends where FO76 fits into all of this, because otherwise it would fit into there general one big release every five or so years. But generally I think Bethesda is a slow developer and they'll take their time with it.

Jan 4, 2018
I think it's a late 2021 game if COVID doesn't delay it.

It's in active development since when development of Fallout 4 was finished (and they started putting things on paper in 2012 or 2013 I guess).

Todd in 2018:

The teaser shown at E3 2018 was mostly designed to give us a sense of the game's atmosphere. In an interview with The Guardian, Howard says "We've been talking about it for a decade, we started putting things on paper five, six years ago, and active development was from when we finished Fallout 4, so two and a half, three years."
www.pcgamer.com

Starfield guide: everything you need to succeed in space

We'll walk you through everything from your first character creation selections to your eventual journey into New Game+.

And it seems like Todd wants to reveal the game like they did with Fallout 4, so I don't expect it before the E3 period next year.

Last edited:

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I actually do I think it's like a Nov 3rdish 21 game. I don't know how much COVID affected it but I really believe that's the target.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. They should take their time and not realse another buggy hell.