• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Nope, If fact I'll be get worse and worse. Its funny that the western side gets pressured to release on time but the east side gets 10 years to push out KH3 and FFXH and they struggle and the often the games are still unfinished at launch. We'll probably see FF VII R maybe in 2025 and its going to unfinished or forced to be episodic.
Pressured? Really? You mean like the Avengers project that was announced over two years ago with absolutely nothing to show for until now? Just because the western studios are mostly able to get games out in a timely fashion doesn't mean they are pressured.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, If fact I'll be get worse and worse. Its funny that the western side gets pressured to release on time but the east side gets 10 years to push out KH3 and FFXH and they struggle and the often the games are still unfinished at launch. We'll probably see FF VII R maybe in 2025 and its going to unfinished or forced to be episodic.
Deus Ex Mankind Divided was in development for 5 years

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Pressured? Really? You mean like the Avengers project that was announced over two years ago with absolutely nothing to show for until now? Just because the western studios are mostly able to get games out in a timely fashion doesn't mean they are pressured.

Deux Ex: Mankind divided suffered because of Square, and Hitman being forced to go episode. Someone needs to squeezed when development is going nowhere at home.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is less with the development cycles being long (lot of big AAA games take a very long time time now), and more with Square announcing their games way, way too early, without earning the goodwill from the consumer due to their level of quality being all over the place. They need to announce games far later than what they have used to do, at least in their jp side.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Not sure but certainly they felt the extraordinary loss due to FFXV being a super expensive meh project.

This probably doesn't mean they will shorten dev times, but they will not invest that much time and money on a single release for a while.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah except they invested soo much money in the post launch contents also, they were expecting groundreaking sales that just didn't happen (it sold well though), and that huge loss was all coming from Luminous Productions which only has FFXV.
Tabata clarified that his 10 million target was what he personally hoped to achieve over the lifetime of the game, not what SE targeted. His ambition was for it to be the biggest FF ever. Plus it's nearly at 9m, and one of the very best selling SE games of all time.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Yeah except they invested soo much money in the post launch contents also, they were expecting groundreaking sales that just didn't happen (it sold well though), and that huge loss was all coming from Luminous Productions which only has FFXV.
Erm, do you know what extraordinary loss is? It sounds like you're confusing things. It's not that the DLC didn't sell and they lost money. An extraordinary loss in accounting is a one time loss you report as a result of a specific circumstance. In this case, it is because they cancelled a number of things in development at the studio including the future DLC they didn't want to spend resources on anymore, in favor of trying to get the new IP going faster. The loss is from the cancellation because money put into the work in progress is written off when the work is scrapped.

It has nothing to do with not selling enough DLC.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Erm, do you know what extraordinary loss is? It sounds like you're confusing things. It's not that the DLC didn't sell and they lost money. An extraordinary loss in accounting is a one time loss you report as a result of a specific circumstance. In this case, it is because they cancelled a number of things in development at the studio including the future DLC they didn't want to spend resources on anymore, in favor of trying to get the new IP going faster. The loss is from the cancellation because money put into the work in progress is written off when the work is scrapped.

It has nothing to do with not selling enough DLC.

That's not what i'm saying, i'm talking overall sales not just DLC.

It's obvious SE expected much more from this game considering how much money they put in for its development, the engine and DLCs, regardless of what Tabata thought.

If FFXV sold 15-20 mln copies and actually be the best selling FF game ever, then i bet SE would have not cancelled a thing.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what i'm saying, i'm talking overall sales not just DLC.

It's obvious SE expected much more from this game considering how much money they put in for its development, the engine and DLCs, regardless of what Tabata thought.

If FFXV sold 15-20 mln copies and actually be the best selling FF game ever, then i bet SE would have not cancelled a thing.
The best selling FF ever was VII with (now) 11 million. Tabata himself said that 10 million was above what SE expected of the game, targets wise.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The best selling FF ever was VII with (now) 11 million. Tabata himself said that 10 million was above what SE expected of the game, targets wise.

Link on that? cause maybe that was SE's expectations for the base game and not overall sales with all the post launch support cause it seems such a low goal. (and yes that's usually how much FF games can sell, but i'm pretty sure those games didn't cost as much for SE as FFXV+DLCs)

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is mostly to address to the higher ups rather than the devs, as it seems to me most of the choices that slowed down developement were management ones.

I mean XV was really plagued with misfortunes left and right, KH had to change engine (if it started with UE4 we would have gotten it a year earlier imho) and Disney meticulous control slowed them down, and Remake seems like another clusterfuck. I'm sure the developers would have gotten all them out sooner if they were put in the right conditions to work.

But all other titles (Nier, DQXI, Octopath, Left Alive and so on) came out in decent times.

Let's hope that they stick with UE4 from day one of next gen and that it helps somehow.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
They need to learn when to announce their games (hint: not at the start of development) before they start to shorten their development time.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Link on that? cause maybe that was SE's expectations for the base game and not overall sales with all the post launch support cause it seems such a low goal. (and yes that's usually how much FF games can sell, but i'm pretty sure those games didn't cost as much for SE as FFXV+DLCs)
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/...eds-to-sell-10-million-units-to-be-a-success/

I don't understand why you think 10 million is a low goal, if even SE themselves see it as a lofty ambition.

Also for good measure, here's Tabata talking about the cost of FFXV and how people had overestimated it.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/08/16/final-fantasy-15-release-interview/

Last edited:

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
He said DQXI and Octopath. Those aren't comparable? Lmao, maybe read what a post is replying to before being quick to jump in?

Yeah, and none of the games you mentioned are on the scale of either of those or anything mentioned in the OP. Of course people are gonna focus on the big projects when it comes to discussing the company as a whole, not spinoffs, smaller IP, and games that weren't even developed in house. Stop being so combative.

EDIT: I'll concede on Heavensward.

Last edited: